An Apple A Day

Fall is prime season for apples.  Anything in season tastes significantly better than its grocery store, unripe, out of season counterpart.  With that in mind, autumn is the best time of the year to pig out on apples.

Apples not only taste good but are remarkably good for you.  They are high in fiber and contain an array of antioxidants.  However, make sure to eat the skin because that’s where the majority of the antioxidants lie.  Apples also contain a substantial amount of flavonoids, which have been shown to regulate bloodIMG_4506 pressure and decrease the risk of heart disease.

A study taken of 10,000 people showed that those who ate the most apples had a 50% lower risk of developing lung cancer.  Flavonoids are believed to promote healthy lungs.  Studies have also shown that apples decrease the risk of asthma.

Out of a list of common apples consumed in the U.S., Fuji apples are shown to have the highest amounts of flavonoids, as well as high antioxidant levels.  With cold and flu season on its way, while apples aren’t rated in the top 5 fruits for vitamin C levels, its important to note that they do contain a significant amount of the immune-boosting vitamin.

Apples make a delicious and healthy grab-and-go snack.  The fiber will keep you full, while the mere 80 calories and 0 grams of fat a typical medium-sized apple contains will keep that tummy in tact.

Not sure which apple to choose among the colorful display at your local farmers market?  With about 2500 varieties grown in the U.S., knowing which one to chooIMG_4877se can be tough.  It really depends on how you plan on using the apples.  Different varieties are better for different reasons, such as baking vs. snacking.

The average American eats 65 apples a year…I’m almost 100% sure I top that number.  Here are a few of my favorite snacking varieties (in no particular order):

• Honeycrisp–  Crisp, juicy, sweet
  • Fuji–  Crisp, juicy, and mildly sweet
  • Jonagold–  Juicy, crisp, and mildly sweet
  • McIntosh–  Exceptionally soft, juicy, and sweet
  • Gala–  Firm and sweet
  • Yellow Delicious–  Soft and sweet

IMG_4525

Apples on Foodista

lilveggiepatch
    November 1, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Great post! I’ve been eating TWO apples a day recently!

November 2, 2009 at 9:39 am

I love apples – great photos!

megan
    November 2, 2009 at 10:29 am

I just went apple picking yesterday and got a ton of fuji apples – so I’m glad to hear how good they are for you! 🙂

One Healthy Apple
    November 2, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Love the title and love the post (obviously)! I have a sick fascination with apples and the more sour and crunchy, the better! Thanks for stopping by my blog and have a great day!

eatmovelove
    November 2, 2009 at 2:54 pm

I can’t stop eating apples!! Galas are my favorite. There is so much hype about Honeycrisp but they don’t really appeal to me. I love apples are year-long, not just the fall 🙂

onefitfoodie
    November 2, 2009 at 2:55 pm

its a good thing i LOVE apples!! 🙂

Pam
    November 2, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Very nice blog you have and Congrats on the foodie blogroll!

Enjoy!

Abby
    November 3, 2009 at 8:53 pm

LOVEE apples.. I eat one every single day! I used to be obsessed with Gala’s now Im really into Honeycrisps!

mallugirl
    November 4, 2009 at 12:58 am

we went apple picking recently and i am still munching on those uber fresh apples.. makes u wonder how old the apples in the stores are.

Persimmon Time « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    November 5, 2009 at 2:57 pm

[…] 2009 November 5 by Food-Fitness-FreshAir In light of my recent posts about fall fruits (apples, pomegranates), I thought I’d blog about a couple of my other favorite fruits that are […]

For Funky Fresh Find a Farmer’s Market! « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    November 6, 2009 at 3:16 pm

[…] nonetheless I appreciate the cutesy, home-made offerings.  I do however restock my supply of fresh apples each week and usually pick up a featured in-season […]

Moving Towards $, Away From Choices & Taste « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    November 7, 2009 at 6:52 pm

[…] blood pressure-which is actually often caused by obesity).  Let’s start selling and offering Jonagold and Fuji apples everywhere and showing kids what a real apple tastes like.  As for me, I know I’d choose a […]