Moving Towards $, Away From Choices & Taste

I came across an interesting, short piece in the NY Times yesterday.  It talked about how our society’s increasing preference for processed foods is pushing us towards uniformity.  It used the popular, everyday fruit, apples, to portray this progression.

IMG_4535After reading the article (click on the link above to check it out), I started thinking about my love of apples and how I can only get my favorites at certain places.

Take a moment to think about how many places offer red delicious apples as the sole available fruit option.  Too many.  I actually loathe red delicious apples.  Many kids probably feel the same way and tell their parents, “I don’t like apples”, when in fact it’s because all they’ve ever eaten is those cardboard-tasting, unripe, overwaxed red not-so-delicious apples served at school.  This can perpetuate the situation of our junk food society by making kids increasingly turn towards junk rather than the healthier option of fruit.

As we move towards a nation becoming infatuated with chips, candy, and cheeseburgers, it’s important to take a step back and look at all the factors that may be leading us towards this unhealthy progression.  An apple’s got to taste good for a kid to want to eat it, especially when it’s competing with so many sweet-&-salty addictive combinations put out on the market these days.

So why are the tasteless red delicious the ubiquitous Starbucks of the fruit kingdom?  I can tell you one thing, it’s not because of their taste.  While the red delicious may have at one time been a sweet, juicy tasting apple, they have gone far astray from this.  The reason why red delicious are so prevalent is because of their sturdiness— making them conducive for shipping– their deep red color– making them eye-catching– and their extensive shelf life— allowing them to be able to sit in stores for long periods of time.  For producers, this means profit.  And so this is what lead to the boom of the red delicious apple.  The red delicious we know today is actually a clone of the original, sacrificing the original variety’s taste for the enhanced profit-making traits mentioned above.  The original was genetically mutated to form the red delicious we know today.  Thus, the commercial industry has rapidly caused the deterioration of the taste and texture of red delicious apples.

This kind of sacrificial farming is happening with all kinds of produce.  Farmer’s are doing away with variety in favor of growing only the most reliable crops.  Monopolized patenting is only increasingly helping to exacerbate the decrease in consumer variety.  But as I mentioned two posts ago, humans like variety!  We need variety if our minds are ever going to consistently be satisfied with eating healthily.  If our only choices of variety are within the junk food aisles, then that is where are nation is going to continue to head…down the aisle of obesity.  Instead, we need to move towards placing our focus on developing new crossbreeds of fruits and vegetables, and keeping up with the varieties we have, in order to spice up our desire for naturally nutrient-enriched, fresh food.IMG_4928

With a continuous sense of money on our minds, our market-based society has moved towards destroying our quality of food.  Unripened, overwaxed produce is being sold in favor of shelf-life and $$ rather than human’s taste buds.  Yes, the primary purpose of eating is to provide our bodies with nourishment, but taste is almost equally important considering that our society’s obesity rates are rapidly soaring as we increasingly choose tasty, salty, and greasy, over healthy.  Plus, foods that aren’t able to to sit in stores for days on end because of limited shelf-lives actually require the consumer to buy them while they’re fresh.  This means that many crops thrown out the window would actually provide superior nutrition since they would require consumers to buy them while they still contained their maximum amount of nutrients.  As those red delicious apples sit on display for weeks in the supermarket waiting for someone to pick them up, they are losing nutrients each and every day.  (Which is why you should take advantage of farmer’s markets...this usually ensures fresher, just-picked, ripe produce).

Anyways, enough of my ranting about our corrupt food industry.  In short, profit is outweighing taste and nutrition.  This is evident by looking at the IMG_4506everyday apple.  We need to be conscious and active about keeping variety within healthy foods rather than junk before our food industry turns into one monopolized assembly line. Just watch Food Inc. and you’ll see why junk food is so cheap in comparison to healthy food, and how the gov. is actually helping to make our foods resemble assembly lines through the low-cost price of the commodity crop, corn.  Obesity needs to be approached from all angles before it become the #1 cause of preventable deaths (currently #3 behind tobacco and high blood pressure-which is actually often caused by obesity).  Let’s start selling and offering Jonagold and Fuji apples everywhere and showing kids what a real apple tastes like.  As for me, I know I’d choose a good apple over chips with my lunch anyday.

Apples on Foodista

Jonagold Apple on Foodista

Pam
    November 7, 2009 at 5:56 pm

Nice post! Thanks for stopping by…I really appreciate it!

Enjoy!

lilveggiepatch
    November 7, 2009 at 5:56 pm

I’m doing my best to keep processed foods out of our house…

Kris | iheartwellness.com
    November 7, 2009 at 8:41 pm

What a great post! Isn’t Food Inc eye opening? WOW!!! I look forward to reading more of your posts….I am going to back track through them now! Keep up the great work!

November 7, 2009 at 9:05 pm

“down the aisle of obesity” I loved that line! I haven’t seen Food Inc but I think I might now =)

eatmovelove
    November 7, 2009 at 11:26 pm

LOVE APPLES!! OBSESSED….but I’d still take a few (baked) chips during the week too 😉

Tweets that mention Moving Towards $, Away From Choices & Taste « Food-Fitness-FreshAir -- Topsy.com
    November 8, 2009 at 2:48 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jeff Ziegler, Kerry Powell. Kerry Powell said: Moving Away From Fresh « Food-Fitness-FreshAir http://bit.ly/1c0mf9 […]

The voracious Vegan
    November 8, 2009 at 4:03 am

What a GREAT post! There is so much delicious fresh plant food in this world, and yet we only ever see a glimpse of it. We deserve MUCH better!

Your feelings towards red apples reminded me of my relationship with tomatoes. Growing up I HATED them. Ughg. I was NOT at all a picky eater, but tomatoes were SO pointless! They were slimy and had no flavor at all.

Then, when I was in university in the US, someone convinced me to try a homegrown tomato. I was shocked. Seriously shocked. I LOVED tomatoes, I just loathed the bland, slimy, flavorless store varieties that I had grown up with.

Three cheers for REAL food!

November 8, 2009 at 7:09 am

Oh I love this topic and couldn’t agree with you more!

megan
    November 9, 2009 at 10:36 am

What a good post! I definitely agree. I would never choose to eat a red delicious apple, and my family feels the same way. I haven’t read the article you mentioned yet, but that’s next 🙂

FRESH LOCAL AND BEST
    November 13, 2009 at 2:07 am

This is a very insightful post. I’ve watched Food, inc. and felt quite a bit of frustration with the multitude of problems in the industry. Sharing information, like you are doing right now, is a step in fighting the current system we have.

Laura L.Ac
    November 14, 2009 at 12:47 am

It’s true, I used to love red delicious. Now my heart belongs to honey crisps, can’t keep away! I don’t quite understand the desire for processed food. Maybe because it’s packed full of MSG, a.k.a cocaine for the tongue. Personally, I’ll take a homemade meal over something from the drive-thru any day. And let’s not even talk about the freezer isle. Fresh food is a novelty for many, but only because they were raised on the opposite. Keep spreading the word, Americans need to know! “There’s more flavor in food that’s good for you, it’s true!!! Thanks for the post.

Yours in health,

Laura L.Ac

School Lunches « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    January 27, 2010 at 7:31 am

[…] in a reusable bottle); Vegetable/Fruit- Almost always frozen or canned in some sugary syrup, or a taste-like-cardboard red delicious apple;  Dessert/Snack-  More fat, either in the form of potato chips or some version of Twinkies.  […]

Brandie
    May 24, 2014 at 2:58 am

Hi I am so delighted I found your blog, I really found you by mistake, while I was researching on Digg for
    something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a fantastic post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it
    all at the minute but I have book-marked it and also added your RSS
    feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the superb work.