How to Keep Your Physique- Thanksgiving

A report by Health Management Resources showed that the typical Thanksgiving meal is a whopping 7100 calories! That’s over 3 day’s worth of calories in one meal.  While exercise can help in burning off those extra calories, it will take much more than a few miles to shed all of those calories.

Instead, look for ways to cut back on the amount of calories you consume during Thanksgiving day.  By knowing what to keep out of your hands and off yourIMG_4372 plate, Thanksgiving can be a day full of happy, social family bonding, rather than a day full of excess calories and guilt.  Use these basic tips to get you started in becoming conscious of what you consume during the traditional holiday meal.

1.  Avoid the appetizers:  Pre-meal snacks tend to be loaded with fat and calories.  Who needs an extra 100-200 calories worth of cheese cubes or fat-loaded ranch dressing, when delicious, real dressing (stuffing) is on its way?  Save your appetite and figure for the main meal.  The food will most likely be prepared with time and care and be far more tasty than appetizers quickly taken out of a box or tub and thrown onto a plate (something you can do anytime of the year).  If you really need something to knock the edge off your hunger, opt for the raw veggies on the vegetable tray, but skip the fat-loaded dressing.

2.  Pass on the Cass.:  Stay away from casseroles.  Creamy casseroles are often filled with unneeded fat.  For instance, take a look at green bean casserole.  This popular dish typically contains around 10 grams of fat, where as freshly steamed green beans, which taste just as good, if not better, are virtually fat free.  If your favorite Aunt Mary insists on IMG_4577bringing the green bean casserole every year, make an additional dish of steamed green beans simply seasoned with olive oil, lemon, S&P, or try roasting some vegetables in the oven for a real treat.

3.  Go light over dark–  If you’re a turkey eater, choose white meat over dark.  White meat contains around 30 less calories per serving and half the fat of dark meat.

4.  Keep on passing the bread:  When the bread basket is passed to you, just keep on passing it.  Stuffing is already filled with bread, so why reach for an unseasoned, substandard plain roll?  Compared to the rest of the meal, the rolls are often inferior and will add as much as 200 extra calories to your plate.  Save them for sandwich making later on, and keep your appetite for what’s hot on the table.

5.  Stop Before Your Full: This is probably one of the hardest tips to utilize.  A majority of Americans over indulge on Thanksgiving, but if you’re looking to keep your slim physique, it’s important to listen to your body when it tells you it’s full.  Try to avoid overloading your plate by serving yourself small portions, and refrain from going back for seconds.  Fill at least half your plate with vegetables, and limit the amount of gravy you slather over your food.  Pause during the middle of your meal and take a moment to tune in with your body and determine if it’s really still hungry.  Stopping before your full will IMG_4817even allow you to indulge in a small piece of dessert and enjoy it to its fullest extent.

6.  Eat three meals: Don’t skip breakfast in order to make up for extra calories you intend to consume later on in the day.  Instead of compensating, this will most likely cause you to binge on more food than you planned on consuming.  Instead, start your day off with a healthy, fiber-loaded breakfast, such as a bowl of oatmeal, an apple, and a few walnuts, which will leave you from being ravished before the main meal.  This will also help you to avoid quickly shoveling down a plate of food, and will allow you to take your time, listen to your body’s hunger levels, and really savor the food as you eat.

November 15, 2009 at 4:36 pm

WOW! I knew the average amount of calories would be more than a typical day but 7100 – that’s crazy! Thanks for the extra hints – it’s a nice reminder to really enjoy what I have on my plate rather than eat it as quickly as possible and then get seconds of the same exact thing when I’m basically full (why do we do this?!?!). Great post!

Abby
    November 15, 2009 at 4:38 pm

7100 calories??!?! Dear lord, what are these pple eating?? Crazy.. good tips BUT I dont think Ill be passin on the bread basket (just a little splurge!!) lol 🙂

Laura L.Ac
    November 15, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Great tips! I’ll be sure to pass them along. Thanks for the post!

Corinne Dobbas
    November 15, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Great reminders! And–good info! Keep spreading the nutrition word! LOVE it! You’re on my roll:)
    Happy Blogging!
    Corinne

November 15, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Great tips chickie! I love them all except for pass on the cass lol. I just discovered green bean casserole and I love love love it but I will watch my portions and listen to my hunger cues.

November 15, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Love this post oh-so much. I always eat breakfast. Even on Thanksgiving. (Duuhhh. People who “save” said 7100 calories for the 4 pm, those crazy folks. DEFINITELY a common misconception.)

Also- I always just eat what I’ve been looking forward to all year, those foods I never get to eat, like turkey breast, stuffing and mashed sweet potatoes. Throw in a little salad, and really, its just like any other typical indulgent meal. (With an added slice or two pumpkin pie. Yummm. I’m making the thanksgiving desserts this year for the dinner I’m attending, so hopefully a post dedicated to that in the near future.)

Also- ughh I know, I do so many different workouts, that I can’t fit them all in one week! (Similar to my eats, there are just so many options to fit into a week’s worth of meals.) C’est la vie.

EatingRD
    November 15, 2009 at 11:02 pm

Such great tips!!! I always eat breakfast and focus on smaller portions and no seconds. I also like the idea of a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning to help with the calorie burn 🙂
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

lessonstolearn
    November 16, 2009 at 6:19 am

Hi there! I just found your blog and I love this post! I knew that Thanksgiving meals were several thousand calories, on average, but 7100 surprised me. I always make sure to get in a good workout and then I enjoy the splurge…in moderation. I pass on any everyday foods and eat the ones that I only get on special holidays. I think people would be surprised how may calories they eat just in the nuts and cheese and crackers that are set out before the meal!

Oraphan
    November 16, 2009 at 11:58 pm

Thanks for such great tips and helpful info. I’ll print this out for families and friends:)

Sandra Blume
    November 25, 2009 at 8:18 am

Wonderful article, but where is the grammer check? “You’re not Your!” I generally do not read articles that start out with such poor grammer.

Food-Fitness-FreshAir
      November 25, 2009 at 9:28 am

Thanks for the correction, but I don’t see where you are talking about? I reread through the article and all of the “yours” seem to be correct?

Holiday Foods, the Good and the Bad « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    December 4, 2009 at 8:32 am

[…] Thanksgiving, I posted some tips on how to keep your physique in tact over the Thanksgiving holiday.  Keeping those tips in mind, this post is going delve […]