Pumpkin Butter

If you are a fan of pumpkin pie, then you must try pumpkin butter!  It has all of the cinnamon, nutmeg, and spice-filled flavors of the traditional pie without any of the fat.

I picked up the butter on my last trip to Trader Joe’s and have been consistently using it ever since.  I particularly liked the Trader Joe’s brand because it has a mere 5 simple ingredients.  It’s sweet like pie, but doesn’t have any more sugar than a corresponding fruit jelly would.  The pumpkin butter contains 9 grams of sugar per tablespoon.  Not too shabby.  This is definitely less than most sugary breakfast cereals.

Plus, one serving has 20% of the daily recommended serving of vitamin A. I don’t know of too many jellies than can offer that.

The butter is pretty versatile and can replace any item where you would normally use jelly.  For instance, it pairs nicely with peanut butter, either on bread or crackers.  I’ve also been enjoying swirling it into both my morning bowls of oatmeal and yogurt. When combined with low-fat cream cheese, this makes a delicious and unique spread for toast.

Pumpkin butter is a nice sweet, smooth treat that will fill your taste buds with the spirit of fall.  And who knows, maybe it will even spawn you to make your own homemade pumpkin pie.

coconutbutter
    November 20, 2009 at 3:25 pm

Hi. I discovered your blog and its nice. Pumpkin butter is great. I use it anywhere I would use applesauce or apple butter.

November 20, 2009 at 3:28 pm

I am dying to try that! I have to make a trip to TJ’s soon =)

VeggieGirl
    November 20, 2009 at 3:30 pm

LOOOOVE TJ’s pumpkin butter!! I have it stocked in my pantry 🙂

Oraphan
    November 20, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Oh, I’m a BIG fan of TJ’s pumpkin butter! This morning, my breakfast was 2 slices of soft potato bread with pumpkin butter, YUM! I sometime put it in my oatmeal too, Mmmm… it’s so good:)

Allison (Eat Clean Live Green)
    November 20, 2009 at 9:50 pm

I just got some TJ’s pumpkin butter! Can’t wait to try it 🙂

November 20, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Sounds delicious. I just can’t spend the money on it. It’s about 4 dollars at Trader Joe’s and I guess I’d rather buy almond butter, and canned pumpkin and mix it together! If Nick would eat it I may feel better buying it, but he wouldn’t. We’ll see, maybe I’ll splurge one of these days because everyone raves about it!

November 21, 2009 at 7:06 pm

I’m feeling a pumpking muffin/cupcake in the works with a frosting of whipped cream cheese/pumpkin butter. Or maybe a topping for oatmeal too!

🙂

eatmovelove
    November 21, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Pumpkin butter??! That’s like Pumpkin seed butter right? TJ’s has one with NO fat?! How many carbs are in it? I’m in Canada and the only kind we have here (that I can find!) is super good – but about 170 cals/serving (I think 2 tablespoons) and about 14 g of fat (I think??) but lower carbs…I wish I had a TJ’s!! I eat wayyyy too much Jam too (with the butter!) — that’s a loooot of sug-ah ! 🙁

Black ops
    November 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Great blog!!

best razor
    November 13, 2011 at 10:57 pm

This surely makes great sense to me!!

Spiced Pumpkin Maple Butter | LunaCafe