Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

The leaves have fallen, cold weather is approaching, and winter is soon on its way.  Wow!  After today, just one more day of November…Can you believe it!?  That also means we’re coming to the end of National Peanut Butter Month.

While I won’t be ceasing my consumption of peanut butter (although I probably should moderate it), I thought I would share another one of my all-time favorite peanut butter recipes in light of the conclusion of one of my new favorite months.  Never before had November looked so good until I found out it was actually served as a whole month commemorated to peanut butter.

So in honor of the last days of this month, I’ve decided to post a recipe that includes not just one, but two of my absolute favorite peanut butter combinations.  The following bread recipe contains both banana and chocolate, pretty much the best two ingredients for pairing with peanut butter.  The bread is super moist and tastes like food heaven, especially when eaten while still warm out of the oven.

Another plus, for a baked good, it’s relatively healthy.  It utilizes whole wheat flour, which packs in some fiber and replaces the typical saturated, cholesterol-filled fat that comes from butter with fat-free yogurt and heart-healthy fat-containing-peanut butter.  However, be careful because it’s hard to stop yourself after just one slice!

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

-1 cup of whole-wheat pastry flour
-3/4 cup brown sugar
-1 tsp. baking powder
-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
-1 large egg
-2 Tbs. safflower oil
-2 ripe bananas, mashed
-1/3 cup crunchy, all natural peanut butter
-1/4 cup plain, fat-free yogurt
-3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F.  Butter a standard bread loaf pan (approx. 9 x 5 x 3 in.).

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  In a separate bowl, whisk egg, yogurt, and oil.  Stir in the peanut butter and banana and mix until thoroughly combined.  Stir the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, and then fold in the chocolate chips.

Bake 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached.  Cool on a rack for 15 minutes in the pan, and then unmold.  Slice and serve.

VeggieGirl
    November 29, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Scrumptious!

Liz
    November 29, 2009 at 5:15 pm

Banana and pb, chocolate and pb, bread with pb….I think these may be some of my fave combos ever! Yum!

November 29, 2009 at 5:31 pm

This I must try. My fave combo is PB, banana and choc. My fave is banana ice cream with PB and choc chips mixed in. This sounds like it’s right up my alley.

November 29, 2009 at 9:43 pm

OMG, this recipe looks out of this world! *Bookmarking*

Eeeek can’t wait to try. 🙂

November 29, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Ummm, why didn’t I know it was national peanut butter month?! What the heck!! I am slightly addicted to peanut butter, no joke, and this recipe sounds fantastic. Thanks for sharing! Oh, and I’m going to make up for my lack of knowledge about national peanut butter month, starting NOW!

mara
    November 29, 2009 at 11:23 pm

peanut butter + chocolate + bananas=so good. how did I miss national pb month? We eat so much of it in our house.

Oraphan
    November 30, 2009 at 2:14 am

YUM! This recipe sounds really good, I’ll definitely give it a try very soon. Thanks for sharing:)

November 30, 2009 at 8:17 am

I didn’t know it was National Peanut Butter month!! I should’ve been celebrating sooner!!

November 30, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Ummm yes- okay, so I made this this morning- its awesome! I definitely approve.

theemptynutjar
    November 30, 2009 at 4:14 pm

I really enjoy your blog. Interesting, well-written and informative posts. Their nice.

December goals and a serious Kabocha breakfast « Beek Eats!
    December 3, 2009 at 4:02 pm

[…] powder, and a few splashes of water served in a weening PB jar with 1/3 of a slice of Grace’s chocolate-chip-PB-banana bread on top.  This was so filling- and took me a loonnnggg time to eat.  Inspired by Totally copied […]

thoughts of a foodie. « Beek Eats!
    December 9, 2009 at 12:30 am

[…] with 1/3 crumbled piece of banana bread and 1/4 Fuji apple zapped in the microwave, and a spoonful of […]

marla (Family Fresh Cooking)
    December 12, 2009 at 9:31 pm

R U kidding with this!!!! Thanks for sharing with me! Chocolate, Peanut Butter and Bananas are also one of my favorite combos. Need to make this, wish I had it now!
    Each morning I eat my Stuffed French Toast recipe…..2 pieces of Ezekiel sprouted grain bread with peanut butter and thinly sliced bananas inside. I soak the sandwich in egg whites and then heat up in a lightly sprayed pan. It is divine. I top it with Sweetleaf Stevia English Toffee drops. No guilt, highly nutritious and it tastes sinful.

here is a link for you!

The Know: This Sh*t is Bananas : College Candy
    December 24, 2009 at 1:00 pm

[…] this delightfully yellow wonder fruit. And aside from the obvious, chocolate chip banana bread (click here for an all natural recipe that involves peanut butter), I’m a big fan of Banana Republic, […]

A Look Back + Californication! « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    January 3, 2010 at 7:52 am

[…] Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread […]

ron
    April 27, 2010 at 8:16 pm

is there a substitute for safflower oil that would be in everyone’s kitchen? is vegetable oil ok?

Lauren
    May 16, 2010 at 1:49 pm

The bread is delicious! I have received so many compliments! Thanks!

Kady @ Livin, Lovin, Learnin
    June 5, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I’ve had this bookmarked forever and finally got around to making it today and WOW! It is so so so good! It’s better than my usual banana bread recipe that I’ve been making for years and it’s so much healthier! I used creamy PB and about 3/4 c. whole wheat flour, 1/4 c. all-purpose (I’m out of WW pastry). Next time I need to bring goodies to school/work/potluck, I know what I’m making!

New Job and Workout Updates « Living, Loving, Learning
    June 10, 2010 at 10:44 am

[…] life (hello 2 sticks of butter) and it has never let me down. But when I came across the recipe for Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip-Banana Bread, I had to give it a try. And let me tell you… oh. my. deliciousness.  You NEED to try this. […]

Easy Homemade Edible Gifts « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    December 21, 2011 at 5:51 am

[…] Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread – If you’ll be able to give your gift away within a day or two, this is a must make. It just might be my all-time favorite bread, and certainly my favorite banana bread. […]

CHOOSE CARBS
    June 7, 2012 at 10:51 pm

[…] went with a recipe I’d made before: Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip-Banana bread from Food-Fitness-Fresh Air, a lovely blog I’ve been following for years . Check the link […]

Choose Carbs
    June 7, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I made this ages ago following your exact recipe and it was awesome! I recently tried swapping honey for the chocolate chips and it was…okay. Next time I’ll keep things as they’re meant to be: with chocolate.