Pole Dancing to the Olympics?

Image taken by blogs.nyu.edu

Yoga isn’t the only aberrational “sport” trying to make it to the 2012 Olympics.  The Pole Fitness Association is petitioning to include pole dancing in the upcoming Olympics.

Pole dancing doesn’t necessarily have to be associated with high heels and strips clubs, and if the practice is to be accepted into the Olympics, it will more than likely need to shed this image.

“We’re trying to redefine it as a sport and have launched a bid for it to be part of the Olympics,” told Collettte Kaluk, the founder of Pole Fitness Association, to the Philadelphia Metro,

I must admit, I’ve actually taken a pole dancing class (please don’t judge me on this).  My friend told me about it, and I figured even if it wasn’t for me, what the heck, it’d definitely be an interesting experience!  I didn’t take the class with the intentions of turning myself into a striptease, but rather was simply curious to see what it was like and what kind of workout it provided.

Let me tell you, it was more than an experience and definitely prescribed a fierce workout!  Pole dancing requires a lot of upper arm strength.  It also involves the squeezing and isolating of certain leg muscles, which undoubtedly gives them a good burn.   I was sweating by the end of the class, and the next day, my arms were even a little sore.  My experience taught me that pole dancing isn’t necessarily just a joke and certainly isn’t just a tease.

The actual moves weren’t that easy either.  I actually had a bit of difficulty learning and perfecting the steps.  The typical glimpses you may see on TV make pole dancing look like a cinch….well this certainly wasn’t the case for me.  However, I definitely enjoyed the challenge and my friend and I had a great time laughing at each other.

While I don’t think I could ever replace my normal workouts outside or at the gym with pole dancing, it was definitely worth the experience.  If you’re

Taken from images.craveonline.com

looking for a fun and comical alternative to your habitual exercise routine, I’d definitely recommend giving it a try.  At the least, you’ll get a good laugh out of it, some toned arms, and a nice story to tell your friends.

As to whether I think pole dancing should become part of the Olympics….Well, I definitely think it would need to be done tastefully and have it introduced to people with more characteristics of a sport than a sensual activity.  If it resembled something like gymnastics, than what the heck, why not?  In my opinion, it’s certainly more appropriate for the Olympics than yoga!

What do you think?  Should pole dancing even be considered for the Olympics?  Have you ever tried it?

December 3, 2009 at 10:09 am

Are you kidding me? Pole Dancing… this is ridiculous lol

December 3, 2009 at 12:19 pm

That’s funny : ) I wanted to pole-dance for my bachelorette party. I’ve heard it’s really difficult and takes a ton of coordination and upper body strength. I think it’d be fun to watch (comical, as well)…I say yes!

Gelareh @ Orange Truffle
    December 3, 2009 at 4:00 pm

I have not YET! I have a friend who has been asking me to join her at least once. It is becoming more and more of an excercise. I hear it is great for tonning… I guess that makes sense.

As far as for it being part of the olympics I would NO. I think we have enough sports in the olympics we can all live without pole dancing.

December 3, 2009 at 6:37 pm

It is a good work out and yes I have tried it, I mean really, I lived in vegas, they had classes all the time. And I suppose it could be considered an art form, buy seriously, an olympic level competitive sport. What would you score it on?

December 3, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Hahahaha. hilarious.

I doo want to try a class though- I think those that take pole dancing lessons on a regular basis are naturally more confident- and confidence is a big thing these days. 🙂 this post made me giggle.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat)
    December 3, 2009 at 7:56 pm

I can see how it can be a fabulous workout but there a lot of activities that are great for your body but wouldn’t be quite appropriate for the Olympics. You know? Like hip hop dancing and stair climbing. Good to know you enjoyed the workout though. Sounds fun actually!

lessonstolearn
    December 4, 2009 at 7:19 am

It does sound like a great workout…and a great way to push yourself out of a comfort zone in terms of workouts. I still can’t see it in the Olympics though. I wonder how you would judge a performance?

theemptynutjar
    December 4, 2009 at 11:33 am

Interesting. Pole dancing. I believe it would be hard. But whether it would be accepted is another story. I believe there are a lot of “unique” and/or extremist athletes that are trying to get their sport into the olympics. Ironically the female softball was taken from the summer olympics. To see the “age-old” sports taken away and others “added” would be strange. The question of what makes a sport a “sport” is longstanding: golf? race-car driving? snowboarding? Ice dancing? Sailing? These all have their controversies. Good job again. Your topic selections never cease to bore me.

Chastitie Lujan
    December 27, 2009 at 8:19 pm

See the above….

lilu
    February 14, 2010 at 12:56 am

I am a pole dancer, and you would judge a performance like how you would judge any other performance. Technique, creativity, strength, flexibility, grace, and all the other components that it involves. I am personally waiting for this sport to enter the Olympics. Just like synchronized swimming which was criticized for not being a sport, well look where its at now! pole dancing is far from a simple waste of time cardio machine workout in a gym and its way more complex of an art than a simple dance consisting of lateral steps. It is gymnastics. The sexy aspect of it seems to make people uncomfortable, and some untasteful dancers in clubs decrease its status. Any REAL poledancer knows you must be mentally tough, not scared of heights and be able to take heck alot of pain. once you advance to the aerials, you’ll know what I mean!!

FireFly
    August 30, 2010 at 6:46 pm

I am assuming that if it did make it into the Olympics it would be scored pretty similar to the Gymnastics. I don’t really see a problem with it going into the Olympics as long as it is done tastefully and not sexually. Your not trying to seduce your crowd. It is definitely a tough workout. Yoga? In the Olympics? REALLY!?!?!? What a freaking Joke…are you going to score them on how at peace they are with themselves? LMAO!!!

Pole Olympics | Trends Pics
    February 16, 2011 at 3:51 pm

[…] Olympics. The Pole foodfitnessfreshair.com This entry was posted in All. Bookmark the permalink. ← Free Actions Photoshop Cs5 Stock […]