Boca

Soy Product Post #3

Since my last post was about meatless hot dogs, I knew I had to follow up with a post about their closest cousin, the hamburger, or shall I say, veggie burger.  When it comes to veggie burgers, my favorite brand would have to be Boca.  Just like soy dogs, and unlike regular hamburgers, Boca burgers make a tasty, low calorie, low fat, high protein meal.

Depending on the variety that you choose, each burger has between 12-18 grams of protein and as little as 80-100 calories.  The highest fat-containing variety, “The All American Classic”, only contains 5 grams per burger.  They also contain between 4-5 grams of fiber (15-20% DV).  Additionally, many of the burgers have substantial amounts of calcium and iron (10-15% DV) as well.

Also similar to soy dogs, if you throw one on a bun and add your favorite condiments, the texture, appearance, and even the taste doesn’t differ too greatly from a regular hamburger.  It’s hard to exactly describe the taste, but they do have a slightly smoky flavor with a moist, chewy texture.  I never been a huge meat lover, so even when I ate meat I actually preferred the taste of Boca burgers to regular hamburgers.

Nuke it in the microwave for a few minutes, or heat it up in the oven or a saute pan.  Place on a whole grain bun, and add your favorite condiments (I usually stick with ketchup, and maybe a little mustard), some sprouts/lettuce/tomato/any other sliced veggie.  Easy as pie.

I also really enjoy Boca’s breakfast “sausage” links.  These are super tasty all on their own, and only contain 70 calories per 5 links.  They also contain 8 grams of protein and 2 grams of fiber, with only 3 grams of fat per serving.  My favorite way to eat the links is to simply warm them in a saute pan and place them alongside cage-free eggs.  They have all the spices and sweetness of regular sausage links, just without the meat.  Boca’s Breakfast Links provide a great, low-fat way to add protein to my morning breakfast, and are certainly more healthy than the corresponding meat links, which per link typically contain 160 calories, 12 grams of fat/4 grams of saturated fat, and 12% of your day’s cholesterol.

Have you tested any of Boca’s products out? If so, which ones have you tried?  What’d you think?

preventionrd
    December 12, 2009 at 10:48 am

Huh, since they’re your favorite I’ll have to give Boca a shot. I always buy Morning Star products, dunno why!

marla (Family Fresh Cooking)
    December 12, 2009 at 11:52 am

I haven’t tried these, but I need to. I am sure I would love them. I am crazy about toasted Ezekiel sprouted tortillas these days. I would probably do a warm wrap with some veggies and pickles….Yum!

Heather
    December 12, 2009 at 11:56 am

I haven’t tried Boca – I am a big fan of the Gardenburger veggie burger…I used to only eat Morningstar farms though.

Perhaps I should try Boca…

theemptynutjar
    December 12, 2009 at 4:45 pm

I hope you get some free stuff soon!

December 12, 2009 at 5:48 pm

I love boca products. I can get some of those here, including the chili which I love. Super filling for 150 calories. I always add a little cheese on top.

December 12, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Oh you know what would be good? Instead of the sausage links, just have a veggie burger alongside some eggs! 🙂 Great review. As long as your going along with soy… you should have a look at Tofutie Cuties- they were my fave dessert as a kid. Little tofu ice cream sandwiches.

December 12, 2009 at 10:00 pm

I have tried the boca burgers but I was not too fond of them. I do however love Morningstar Farms “chicken” products…esp the buffalo wings =)

Meredith
    December 12, 2009 at 10:02 pm

I think the boca crumbles are great! They are so versatile!

kbwood
    December 12, 2009 at 11:23 pm

so glad u posted this bc ive never tried these! only morningstar!

Nico
    April 6, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I find Morningstar Farms to taste a bit better than Boca Burgers or Gardenburgers but MF products are highly processed. I struggle with finding healthy, whole foods to meet my protein needs & desires as an athletic, fully employed pescetarian ( Veg & Fish). When I lived a quieter life in an ashram and as a “slow” traveler, I didn’t crave much protein. Was much easier to eat vegetarian. Now as a full member of society who is involved in sports and a lot of thinking and moving in the urban jungle of NYC, I am not that sated by all these faux burgers. Great work, Grace.