Homegrown squash (minus the spaghetti squash)

I always eat a lot of squash throughout the winter and fall months mainly because we grow a significant number of varieties in our garden and they keep remarkably well.  However, this year I’ve probably eaten more squash than any year before.  I’ll a cook up a butternut, and with just my roommate and I eating it, I’ll be munching on that squash for the rest of the week.  And then, I have about four other kinds of squash sitting and patiently waiting for me to choose them to bake the next week.

However, I have yet to get sick of squash, primarily due to the large variety that I am able to choose from.  While I find all squash to be relatively similar, each type certainly has its own unique taste.  Lucky for me and you, squash are also super healthy and are loaded with vitamins, particularly vitamins A & C.

Let’s take a look at the different varieties of squash one can choose from.

Acorn: This dark green, acorn-shaped squash hides a pleasant yellowish-orange flesh on the inside that holds a slightly sweet and creamy taste.  Compared to many other varieties of squash however, acorn would be on the not-so-sweet side.

Calories:  About 172 calories per squash.

One way to make it:  Acorn squash are perfect for stuffing.  Try a combination of wild rice, cranberries, and walnuts, baking the squash first and then adding the pre-cooked rice mixture to the squash for the last several minutes of baking.

Butternut:  This pear-shaped squash has a deep orange flesh that resembles the taste of a sweet potato with a hint of nuttiness.

Calories:  About 63 calories per cup

One way to make it:  Butternut squash provides a nice central ingredient for a naturally smooth and creamy pureed soup.  Try Curied Squash and Yam Soup.

Kabocha: Kabocha is a disk-shaped squash that contains a deep orange flesh.  The flesh is on the drier side and is super sweet when roasted.

Calories:  About 30 calories per cup

One way to make it:  While kabocha squash are certainly tasty simply baked in the oven, they also make a great ingredient for other recipes, such as HEAB’s Kobacha Squash Pancakes.

Spaghetti Squash: This extra large, watermelon-shaped squash has a nutty-flavored flesh that surprisingly turns into spaghetti-shaped “noodles” when cooked.

Calories:  About 42 calories per cup.

One way to make it:  Bake the squash and then use its strands as you would any other pasta.  Try topping it with a marinara or pesto sauce.

Ambercup Squash: Ambercup is a deep orange, pumpkin-shaped squash that has a dry yet exceptionally sweet taste.

Calories:  About 76 calories per cup.

One way to make it:  My favorite way to eat ambercup is to simply roast it in the oven.  Cut the squash into 2 inch slices.  Toss the slices with olive oil, S&P, and bake at 350F for 45 minutes, or until tender.

Hubbard: Hubbard squash can either be green, orange, or bluish-gray.  It’s mildly sweet and has a slight grainy texture.

Calories:  About 46 calories per cup.

One way to make it:  Cut into cubes and season it with a little olive oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, and maple syrup.  Bake in the oven until tender.

Guatemalan squash: Guatemalan squash have a long banana shape and are green in color.  The flesh is exceptionally creamy and contains a mild, nonsweet flavor.

Calories:  About 30 calories per cup.

One way to make it:  Cut the squash in half, and remove the seeds.  Cut into 1/2 inch slices.  Using a colander, steam for 12 minutes, or until tender.  Season with olive oil, S&P.

What’s your favorite squash?  Favorite way to use it?

I also want to give a shout out to Melissa for the wonderful blog giveaway I received today.  Everything is deliciously foreign and amazing!

Tagged with →

12 Responses to Squash Galore

1. VeggieGirl says:

My favorite is butternut squash. I slice it into cubes, coat the cubes in cinnamon, and roast it at 350°F for about 40 minutes.

2. Melinda says:

Nice review of all the delicious squashes. My fave is spaghetti squash. I love to make tofu marinated in a thai curry sauce, toss with broccoli and serve over spaghetti squash. It is so good. And butternut suash soup is tasty too. I have had a lot of pumpkin soup this year for some reason.

3. Mari says:

This is a fabulous post! I heart Squash, esp butternut squash soup =)

4. Heather says:

I think my fave is spaghetti squash – I have probably eaten more squash this year than I have in the past. It is so delicious!

Thanks for a great write up!

5. I love squash, of all types. in fact, I am eating spaghetti squash (my favorite) right now! It’s so neat that you grow your own. Nick and I want to start a garden when we have a yard of our own. Squash will definitely be part of it.

6. Kabocha pancakes…I really need to make those soon. It’s been too long. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Can I just come over and eat squash all day with you and your roommate? I don’t think I could ever get sick of squash. Love them all so much, and there are several that you mentioned that I have yet to try like Banana and Ambercup. Thanks for the tutorial.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend. :)

7. kbwood says:

wow i loved reading this..never ever heard of those last 3 types of squash!! thank you!

8. Nicole says:

That’s a tough question! I think I love acorn the most, though. Or maybe I love spaghetti more…ahh! I love me some squash too! And lots of it!

9. eatmovelove says:

Great post! I love squash as a side or a ‘mixer’. I posted awhile ago about Sweet Potatoe Squash – have you seen that one?! Good, but sweeeet. Picked up some cubed butternut and a spaghetti one today to go with the ole’ turkey and veg. :)

10. GIGI says:

I ADORE…. PUMPKIN, SPAGHETTI SQUASH & BUTTERNUT SQUASH!!!!!!

For breakfast every morning I mix pureed pumpkin with cubed & roasted (with cinnamon) butternut squash! It’s such an amazing energizer!

And then…

For dinner every night I always have some spaghetti squash because it really gives any and ALL a little more substance! I especially love it with salmon & olive oil & garlic roasted brussels sprouts!

Gah, cannot wait for tomorrow – because it’s ANOTHER day filled with these yummy yummy foods!

11. [...] Squash: Like the previous mentioned vegetables, squash is loaded with fiber.  It also has a starchy texture that will psychologically help to make you feel extra full and satisified.  Because of it’s texture, squash is a good substitute for potatoes.  Most varieties are surprisingly low in calories, ranging from 30-70 calories per cup.  Most squash are also loaded with vitamin C as well as vitamin A, which helps to give them their bright orange color.  For more information on what to do with squash, read this. [...]