Save the Seeds!

Following up on yesterday’s post, squash have more to offer than just their creamy inner flesh.  You might want to take a look at their seeds before you automatically ditch them in the trash.

Similar to pumpkin seeds, squash seeds can also be roasted in the oven for a great snack.  They contain a vast assortment of vitamins and nutrients including iron, protein, magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc.

To make, preheat the oven to 350F.  Wash all of the pulp and squash slime off of the seeds, and then pat dry with a towel.  Toss them with a bit of olive oil, S&P, and any seasonings  you may enjoy, such as cinnamon, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, or turmeric.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper, and spread the seeds on top.  Cook for 15-20 minutes until they begin to brown, stirring half way through.  Cool, and enjoy!  Note:  If you plan on eating these for longer than one week, store in the refrigerator.

The seeds are perfect as is, but are also great for enhancing almost any recipe.  Try adding them to your oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, and salads.  Roasted squash seeds are also a great replacement for pine nuts/walnuts in your average basil pesto recipe.

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad
    December 20, 2009 at 8:45 am

Great tip! I actually did this the last time I ate squash. At that time, I wasn’t so sure that other people ate squash seeds. Good to know its not as weird as I originally thought!

marla (Family Fresh Cooking)
    December 20, 2009 at 10:36 am

Agreed!! I love the flavor and health benefits of these seeds. Funny, people think they can only toast pumpkin seeds. There is a whole world out there!

December 20, 2009 at 1:56 pm

I love roasting seeds. Great idea on the squash.

December 20, 2009 at 3:00 pm

I knew there was a way out there to get my hubby to eat squash! : )

theemptynutjar
    December 20, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Nice post. Some of the trail mixes I buy include squash seeds, I think. I enjoy salted trail mixes. Good post on the squash previous also, I have yet to try squash, but am trying out the buttercup and butternut soon. Might as well try new things 🙂

December 20, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Oh wow, I’ve never saved the seeds before! Great to know!

December 20, 2009 at 8:16 pm

Great idea. I love roasted pumpkin seeds, but I’ve never tried it with squash seeds. They look good in your photo, though.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat)
    December 20, 2009 at 10:46 pm

I just roasted up my kabocha squash seeds!! They keep splitting in half when I eat them though and then I can’t get the inside out!! The skin is WAY too thick to eat also. Bah. I think they’re gonna have to go to waste 🙁

December 21, 2009 at 2:16 am

I’m still freaking out that there is only 30 cals in a cup of kabocha. How could that be?!! But on another note- totally in love with squash seeds. They’re a pain to rinse, and get all the insides off, but once dried- I usually just toast them with a little sea salt, so crunchy and the outer texture is actually really good!