Snow, sledding, cookies

We had our first substantial snowfall here in the southwestern PA area on Saturday.  I’m talking over two feet of white, powdery snow!

And I had the perfect, cliche snow day….Sledding, relaxing by the fireside, and homemade cookies.

There’s nothing that I enjoy more on snow days than sledding.  Yes, I’m still a big kid at heart and hopefully always will be.  🙂

I think it’s the nostalgia of being an innocent, little kid, with memories of getting off school and playing outside all day, that keeps a healthy love of sledding within me.

Each first major snowfall, I try to make sure to get outside and at least take one or two rides on my old sled.  While not quite as thrilling as when I was 7, it’s surprisingly still a tad fun, and It’s actually really good exercise walking up all those hills!  (This is the big-girl part of me speaking now.)

After a few hours of sledding and snowball fights with my bro, I always loved coming inside for some of my mom’s fresh-out-of-the-oven cookies.  As a kid, my mom would rarely let my brother or I chow down on cookies.  It was those few winter snow days that she decided put on her apron and treat us.  She’d make us a big cup of soymilk hot cocoa and hand us a couple warm cookies that would warm our little tummies, please our taste buds, and bring a smile to our flushed faces.

This year, I got to relive the snow days of my childhood.  The first big snowfall just happened to fall on my first full day home for winter break.  After bundling up, venturing outside, and making some snowballs and yes, taking a couple sleigh rides, I came inside to find my mom at it again in the kitchen.  She decided to whip up some of my favorite cookies, known as “Kris Kringles”.  She graciously decided to let me share this family recipe with all of you.  The batter can be a bit tricky to spread, but our family has been making them for generations and if they turn out right, these cookies are a little bit of chocolate heaven.

Kris Kringles

-1/3 cup butter
-1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
-1/2 cup sugar
-1 egg
-1/2 cup flour
-1/8 tsp salt
-1 tsp vanilla
-1/3 cup pecans, chopped

In a small saucepan, melt together the butter and 2/3 cup chocolate chips.  Stir in the sugar until it melts into the mixture.  Transfer to a large bowl.  Add egg and beat for approx. 2 minutes.  Add flour, salt, and vanilla, and beat until combined.

Grease a 15″ x 11″ cookie sheet.  Spread mixture to the edges of the sheet.  Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips and the pecans on top.

Bake at 400F for 12 minutes.  Cut into squares and immediately remove the cookies from the sheet onto a cooling rack.

Best enjoyed while warm.

VeggieGirl
    December 21, 2009 at 7:42 am

Fun winter times!

December 21, 2009 at 8:25 am

Your snow fun looks like an awesome time, and I want some of those Kris Kringles! Love pecans + chocolate : )

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad
    December 21, 2009 at 8:29 am

Sledding is definely a perk of snow. I have many childhood memories of sledding all day long and then coming inside for a nice cup of hot cocoa.

Morgan
    December 21, 2009 at 8:33 am

Wow, we only got about 4 inches in northwestern PA. I keep waiting for more, but I guess it’s not coming!
    Looks like you had a fun day though 🙂 Those cookies look great.

December 21, 2009 at 9:07 am

Looks like you used the snow to your advantage and totally enjoyed it.

December 21, 2009 at 9:47 am

Looks like fun. We got a foot and a half in Northern Virginia, but I have no backyard to play in. Makes me nostalgic for sledding at my parents’ house.

Tricia
    December 21, 2009 at 11:23 am

I’m so super jealous of your snow!

Emily
    December 21, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Hooray for snow and sledding. It’s just started to get snowy in MI, so I’m hoping for a sledding day soon, too.

Kris Kringle’s look really good! I’m a huge chocolate fan, so I’m sure I’d like those. 🙂

December 21, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Good for you for getting out the ol’ sleigh! I agree it’s just not the same as when we were kids, but it’s still fun, and a good activity to take your mind off of everyday “adult” life! I would consider it a workout, for sure. Although I think a lot of the sweat I get when being outside in the snow and sledding is from all the layers I have on!! haha.

These brownies sounds great. Love the name 🙂

December 21, 2009 at 4:00 pm

I LOVE all the snow pictures!!! And how great that you enjoy the snow so much and that it brings back such great memories! 🙂 I have lived in an area where it never snows for almost twenty years now, and I really miss the snow….

The cookies look & sound awesome!

biz319
    December 21, 2009 at 4:48 pm

I love playing in the snow! We’ve only got about an inch on the ground now – not enough for fun!

kbwood
    December 21, 2009 at 8:13 pm

awww you are so cute!! i love the looks of those kris kringles!

katie
    December 21, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Kris Kringles look delish! Wow if I had those in my house they would be gone!! Loving your blog!! We got snow here in Alexandria, VA too!!! Lots of snow, so fun!! Looks like you had fun too!!! xo

eatmovelove
    December 22, 2009 at 7:41 am

Love this post! Memories 🙂 You’ve got a great (and tasteful!) Mom.

December 22, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Aaahhh SNOW. Love the look of those cookies too! I love childhood memories/stories/nostalgia. Haha, yeaah almost never got cookies either! When we did, they were whole wheat/oatey, but I still loved them!

Christabel
    March 23, 2010 at 10:38 am

…another good post, I’d expect nothing less from you though :]

Chocolate Pecan Nutella Thumbprints « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    December 30, 2011 at 6:02 am

[…] year. Snickerdoodles and sugar cookies, I could do without. But almond balls and my mom’s Kris Kringles, those are mandatory staples. However, this year I’ve stumbled upon one more cookie recipe […]