Christmas Traditions

Many families wake up Christmas morning, exchange gifts, and then enjoy a nice holiday breakfast/brunch, consisting of special treats, such as waffles, pancakes, omelets, or even gingerbread.  Others start their morning off on the healthier side to counteract the big meal that awaits them later on in the day.  These people usually stick with something such as a bowl of oatmeal or a fruit salad with yogurt.  My family…well, we start the day off not with a big, creamy bowl of oats, but with a big, hot and creamy bowl of tomato soup, paired alongside fish sticks.

Fish sticks and tomato soup?  You’re probably thinking, “What is this girl thinking!?”  It’s not like me to eat junk food for breakfast, particularly when it’s a subpar combination of junk.  I mean, who craves fish sticks and tomato soup?  Not me.

BUT, this has been a tradition since before I was born.  The story has it that one day when my dad was a kid, his family got snowed in for a few days leading up to Christmas.  When his mom woke up Christmas morning, she looked in the cupboard and the refrigerator and found nothing to make for breakfast except fish sticks and tomato soup.  Somehow, years later, the makeshift breakfast became a family tradition. Now, every Christmas morning my family and I eat fish sticks and tomato soup.  And while it may not sound like the most desirous breakfast, I love it.

I love that our family carries out a unique (and pretty comical) tradition.  I wouldn’t have it any other way.  One year, my mom who happens to be a fantastic cook, even asked my siblings and I if we wanted her to make something more “upscale”.  While a stack of homemade blueberry pancakes was tempting, we all refused the offer in favor of sticking with the fish stick and tomato soup tradition.  It’s what we’ve grown up on, and even if I do one day decide to alter my family Christmas breakfasts, the obscure breakfast combo. will always have a nostalgic place in my heart.

Plus, Christmas morning is usually the only time all year that I eat fish sticks or tomato soup.  So sure, it’s not like eating a stack of blueberry pancakes topped with chopped walnuts and sweet, mapley syrup, but it’s not unpalatable either.  Sitting at our big dining room table, with my mom and dad on one side of me and my brother on the other side, sharing precious morning moments together eating fish sticks and tomato soup, this is my Christmas morning, and I love it.

Do you have any unique/bizarre family traditions?

thestoryimin
    December 24, 2009 at 11:15 am

I love that. I mean, I don’t think I’d love that meal, but I love the fact that your family has stuck to a tradition for so many years! We always play games Christmas night. Oh, and have turkey sandwiches while doing it.

December 24, 2009 at 11:22 am

We always visit my dad’s parents on Christmas Eve then head to my mom’s parents on Christmas Day. We’ve done this ever since I was little and Christmas wouldn’t be the same without the trips.

December 24, 2009 at 1:06 pm

cute traditions! my in-laws have fondue in Christmas eve which I love! 🙂

Heather
    December 24, 2009 at 2:46 pm

What a great tradition!

We eat Filet Mignon and Eggs for breakfast on Christmas morning – that’s it for the day – no turkey or ham for us.

kbwood
    December 24, 2009 at 5:06 pm

what a unique tradition!!! we have steaks and fries christmas eve..which i guess its not too creative!

December 24, 2009 at 5:35 pm

That is a funny tradition, but doesn’t sound like a bad combo. Maybe for lunch though!!! Enjoy your Christmas traditions with your family. I don’t think we have any thing like that in my family.

eatmovelove
    December 24, 2009 at 9:19 pm

I love this! I don’t think it’s ‘unpalatable’ or ‘horrible’ at all. And certainly not junk food girl…actually it sounds better than pancakes and maple syrup to me 😉 . Food is not just about nutrition and all that *crap* – it’s about enjoyment and stuff…sometimes it’s okay to eat even when your not hungry or not craving something – gasp! – haha – if you have to ‘think’ about it allll the time -then your thinking too darned much 🙂 . Here’s to Campbells 🙂 Merry Xmas girl !

Cassandra-Was-Right
    December 25, 2009 at 6:18 am

What a sweet tradition.

I was raised on oyster stew for Christmas Eve (with oyster crackers) and home made cinnamon rolls for Christmas breakfast before gifts could be opened. We were poor, and the oysters were a once-a-year indulgence, as were the tangerines we found in our stockings the next morning. Now I’ve lived in a dozen different countries and, at present, live in the US near a beloved niece whose Christmas Eve dinner invitation I can’t refuse, even though it involves stuffed calamari and spaghetti with clam sauce. Would never think of turning down this get-together, but still am looking forward to a move back to the state of my roots, and a private celebration with oyster stew on Christmas Eve for the rest of my life.

December 25, 2009 at 10:12 pm

This is so cute! hahaha tomato soup and fish sticks.. classic.
    We go to a movie on christmas eve, and almost always end up in an argument at dinner. i kid you not, last time was the same. oh well. it was fun.

and today we went for a hike- but we don’t do that every year.

BTW , loove your new header! so cute. 🙂 hope you had a great christmas!

How To Get Your Diet Back In Line After The Holiday Season « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    December 26, 2009 at 8:20 am

[…] The third day, I think I was feeling the full effects of my cleansing diet.  I felt lithe and energized, and my yoga session felt great.  My sense of taste felt heightened, and the whole foods started to taste really good.  I would’ve actually considered prolonging the pure raw diet for a few more days if Christmas wasn’t the following day.  I didn’t want to skip my annual Christmas breakfast tradition. […]