Sample Day of Raw Cleanse

I had an anonymous comment in response to a post a did a couple days ago titled, “How To Get Your Diet Back In Line After The Holiday Season.”

Here’s what he/she said: “Love this topic and new ideas to re-start your diet after the food-filled holidays! Is there any way you could post a few recipes for your raw food diet? Or some type of a plan for a few days of this type of diet that would get people started?”

In response to this inquiry, I’ve decided to post a sample day of my raw foods cleanse.  Since my intention was to do a cleanse, I kept my diet pretty simple, sticking to the basics of whole fruits and veggies.  However, some people choose to have a raw diet for life.  If you decide this lifestyle is for you, there are numerous more complex raw treats and recipes of which you can incorporate into your diet.  (Check out some of Averie’s raw treats to get you started, such as her tasty raw peanut butter cups.)

Also, the raw cleanse is not meant to make you feel like you’re being deprived of food.  If at anytime you feel hungry, simply grab a piece of fruit or some cut up veggies.  Just make sure that you don’t let yourself get so hungry that you end up reaching for the pretzels and potato chips.  It helps to keep all processed junk food hidden in your cabinets.

Note:  If you plan on doing the cleanse for more than a day or two, make sure to include some raw nuts, such as walnuts or almonds, to ensure you’re incorporating protein into your diet.  It’s also important to drink lots of fluids throughout the day, which will additionally help cleanse the body.  I also recommend only light activity, such as yoga rather than an intensive run.

Sample Day of Raw Cleanse

Breakfast

1 banana
1 large green smoothie (Recipe found below)

Snack

– 1 apple

Lunch

-2 carrots, sliced into matchsticks
-2 celery sticks, sliced into matchsticks
-1 grapefruit
-1 Asian pear (I’m not a huge advocate of eating foods out of season.  However, when doing a cleanse diet as simple as this, I find it important to include your favorite fruits and veggies that you seldom get to eat.  If you are trying to eat an all localized diet, look for in season fruits and veggies that you wouldn’t normally purchase.  Seldom eaten produce is useful in adding excitement to the diet.)

Snack

-1 clementine
-1 cup of miso “tea” (Mix one teaspoon of miso with one cup of hot, not boiling, water)

Dinner

Spiced Kohlrabi (recipe below)

-1 banana

-Grapes

-1 1-inch slice of avocado, sprinkled with salt

Snack

1 green smoothie (can use different fruit and greens this time to change it up)

Green Smoothie Recipe
You can experiment with whatever fruit is in season or whatever you have on hand.  We freeze strawberries from our garden, and I particularly enjoy the combination of apples and strawberries.  Bananas and blueberries are also nice additions.

-1/2 apple
-5-6 frozen strawberries
-handful of kale or collards (about 2-4 large leaves)
-Water

Combine all ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth.  The amount of water varies depending on the desired consistency.

Spiced Kohlrabi

-1 kohlrabi
-cumin
-lime
-Kosher salt

Cut the kohlrabi into 1/4 inch x 3 inch matchsticks.  Sprinkle with cumin, salt, and a squeeze of lime.

Anonymous
    December 28, 2009 at 8:52 am

Do you have any idea what your caloric intake was during this diet? It seems like it would be quite low. It would be very important for anyone doing this for more than a day or two to be careful. As a distance runner, I’m not sure that this type of diet would work for me. They’re all very healthy foods, no doubt, but I don’t think I’d be able to properly fuel my training without more complex carbs.

December 28, 2009 at 9:08 am

The spiced kohlrabi sounds delicious!

Sample Day of Raw Cleanse « Food-Fitness-FreshAir | Kebab Beysan
    December 28, 2009 at 10:26 am

[…] Read the original: Sample Day of Raw Cleanse « Food-Fitness-FreshAir […]

December 28, 2009 at 12:18 pm

All of the foods sound really good. But how can you not be starving all day long?

kbwood
    December 28, 2009 at 1:14 pm

this looks so good!! do you have any energy?

December 28, 2009 at 1:22 pm

What about protein for this? It seems like with the fruits you can ward off ketosis, but what about protein wasting? Just curious 🙂

December 28, 2009 at 1:40 pm

That sounds like a strict diet but I am assuming it is okay since it is supposed to be short term thing, right?

In regards to your question on my page, I downloaded

Bad Romance- Lady Gaga
    Telephone – Lady Gaga and Beyonce
    Paparazzi – Lady Gaga
    Put it in a love song- Alicia Keys and Beyonce
    Try sleeping with a broken heart-Alicia Keys
    Break up- Mario
    I gotta feeling (FMIF remix)- BEP
    Meet Me Halfway- BEP
    Sexy Chick – David Guetta
    Un Beso – Aventura
    Obsesion – Avenura
    Por un Segundo- Aventura
    Best of Me- Morning Wood
    Haven’t Met you yet- Michael Buble
    Everything – Michael Buble
    Dreaming with a Broken Heart – John Mayer

theemptynutjar
    December 28, 2009 at 2:16 pm

I respect other people’s choices. But I strongly disagree with all the detoxes and “cleanses” and things like that. Personally, I think its …not right…and I don’t really have interest in it at all.
    I think its great that you find it works for you though. Its your choice to do as you wish, so if it suited you then good for you.
    I am sure some readers will be interested in it for sure.
    Have a merry christmas.

December 28, 2009 at 2:49 pm

wow, sounds interesting – do you know of additional websites that give ideas for this? I’d love to learn more about cleansing options!

December 28, 2009 at 5:04 pm

For a CLEANSE (key word) this meal plan looks mighty tasty! And reasonable. 🙂 Great post Grace.

Jenna@ Health and Happiness
    December 28, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Great Post on a raw cleanse. I feel amazing after just a day of eating raw, a week must be bliss! To answer your question, I am finishing up my last semester at Kansas State University getting a Bachelor’s Degree in Human Ecology and then I’m off to San Diego, CA to attend The Natural Healing Institute to study clinical nutrition and receive my holistic health practitioner certification. Are you studying anything?

Raw Foodini
    December 28, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Great cleansing plan. If you need even more raw food community or recipes I hope you will check us out.

December 28, 2009 at 10:42 pm

I hate the word cleanse…!!

Our body is self-cleansing, so I can’t really agree with the above. The protein and fat content is very, very, very low in what you described, and it would be very difficult to follow.

kebap
    April 2, 2010 at 8:52 am

?????????? ???????? ???????????????????????????????????????? ???????? ?????????? ?????????? ???????????????? ?????
    ????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????? ???????????????? ?????????? ?????????? ????????? ??????????????
    ??????? Ramazan Döner kebap

1monthcrashdiet
    June 5, 2010 at 2:23 am

I just started the raw… I love it. I am doing 4 crash diets in 30 days. I’m writing about them all on my blog. I would love to get your thoughts or feedback.

Kohlrabi - Real Cheap Food
    December 30, 2010 at 3:21 pm

[…] Spiced kohlrabi sticks […]

raw food diet,raw diet, raw food vegan
    May 4, 2012 at 2:06 am

The quick red wolf jumped over the lazy dog