How To Stick To Your New Years Resolution

It’s a fresh year, which means a fresh start for any goal you desire to achieve.  However, while I’m a true believer of “you can achieve anything you set your mind to”, we’re almost all guilty of setting New Years resolutions only to see them go out the window, and out of our minds, a couple weeks later.  This is the year to set a personal resolution and actually stick with it.  Use these tips to help you maintain your resolution throughout the year, and achieve your goal by 2011.

Dream big: While many people will tell you to keep it simple, I recommend making a resolution bigger than you expect to achieve.  Dream big, as big as you possibly can.  You may not necessarily reach your full goal, but you also won’t have any restrictions that will keep you from striving towards what you really want to achieve.  And if you put all your energy towards your dream, you may surprise yourself in what you’re actually capable of doing.  By 2011, your dream may not end up being just a dream after all.

Write it down: Put your intended resolution word for word on paper.  Stick it on the fridge, your bathroom mirror, your desk, anywhere where you will see it daily.  This will serve as a constant reminder of your goals set in January 1st, keeping them fresh in your mind all the way till December 31st.  You won’t have have to try to search through all the clutter in the back of your mind that has built up after a month in order to find your resolution.  Just take a look in the mirror, and it will already be clearly displayed for you.

Make markers: While I advocate dreaming big, you should try to break your resolution down into simple, feasible steps.  Even if these steps don’t add up to your ultimate dream by the end of the year, you will at least be well on your way to achieving your goal.  Achieving these markers each month makes your goal more manageable and provides motivation for you to stick with your goal till the end of the year.

Track your progress: While you don’t necessarily need to post your progress on your mirror/fridge (all though this can be helpful), you should write down the progress you are making towards your resolution at least once per month.  Purchase a journal and devote its space towards writing down your progress.  Look back through these pages each time you add a written entry, or even before you do so.  The entries serve as a source of inspiration, as it’s truly encouraging to look back and see how far you’ve brought yourself since January 1st.  If you find you haven’t come that far, use it as motivation to get your butt working.

Be Human- Everyone goofs up: If you slip up and do something in opposition to your resolution, know that it’s okay.  Resolutions are a way to work towards something healthy.  These goals are often challenging yet needed, which is why they are worth striving towards.  However, everyone makes mistakes.  Feeling too guilty after a slip-up will place yourself under unneeded stress, turning your healthy resolution into an unhealthy process.  If you goof up one day, just pay extra attention to getting yourself back on track the next day.  Let your slip-up go, and start fresh.

Follow these tips and you should be able to finally achieve your New Year’s resolution.  Good luck, and don’t give up.  I know you can do it!

January 1, 2010 at 11:01 am

Thanks for the great advice!

kbwood
    January 1, 2010 at 11:51 am

those are great! happy new year girl!

January 1, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Great advice! For the above reasons, I put my resolutions on my blog and I intend to keep at them for the next 365 days and beyond!

eatmovelove
    January 1, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I really like all of these. Your first one really struck me girl…most people will tell you to do the opposite – to set small, acheivable goals…but y’know we should shoot for the moon right? I mean, I think that all my dreams of being a writer are just that. And that I should stop fooling around and being silly and focus on the career I do have and went to school for…but, is it really that unrealistic ? 🙁
    I don’t know.
    Happy New years girl .

January 1, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Fantastic tips. In fact, I JUST wrote down my goals for the year in my giant planner. That way I have to look at them all the time!
    Regarding your question on my blog, Alton Brown’s cookbook is fabulous. Not only does it have great recipes, but it also has a lot of food science information, which I LOVE!

Happy New Year!

Twitted by GraceDickinson
    January 1, 2010 at 3:46 pm

[…] This post was Twitted by GraceDickinson […]

January 1, 2010 at 7:04 pm

this is a really great post…very helpful

Happy New Year

Oraphan
    January 2, 2010 at 1:50 am

What a wonderful post! Thank you for great tips:)

burpexcuzme
    January 2, 2010 at 3:42 am

Great post! I’ve been thinking about my own methods to stick to my New Year resolutions…and you gave solid advices!

January 2, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Great tips Grace! And Happy New Year! (I may have already wished you a good new year in an older post. I forget. That darn google reader. )

Teniah Howell
    January 2, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Great advice! I had started a “See it Done” album a few months ago (I got a photo album as a gift, and instead decided to use it for a “goals” booklet.) I posted pictures that would remind me of my goals, motivational quotes etc. and a few times a week I pull it out and just spend some time focusing on what I want to accomplish for myself this year….My hope is to get into a habit of doing this every morning…I like the idea of writing down your progress once a month too, so I think I will start doing that in my journal as well. Thanks for the blog.