Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams

This creation literally jumped right out of my dreams.  Chocolate and peanut butter, my two favorite foods, together in one jar!

I first heard about Peanut Butter & Co. from reading Bekah@BeekEats! blog.  I figured that if Bekah liked it, it had to be good.  And good it was (I finished the jar within about a week and half!).

It tastes exactly like it sounds, a mixture of peanut butter and chocolate, although it’s a little more on the peanut-buttery side.  I have to admit, I was a little disappointed with how it fared on bananas.  I thought my all time favorite snack, banana and peanut butter, would benefit from adding another supreme ingredient, chocolate.  But I found that I’d rather just stick to plain ol’ peanut butter on my bananas.  The Chocolate Dreams didn’t have a strong enough taste in either direction, chocolate or peanut butter, to stand up against the banana.

In fact, I found that my favorite way to eat Peanut Butter & Co.’s Dark Chocolate Dreams is straight out of the jar!  I could definitely munch on more than 2 Tbsp (the serving size) in one sitting.  However, I also found it to be quite tasty on apples after warmed up in the microwave.  Warm up this dream team and it’s hard to resist!  It takes just 20 seconds in the microwave.  Warm Dark Chocolate Dreams is also a perfect frozen yogurt/ice cream topper.  It’s similar to hot fudge, but with a nutty kick and some added protein.

I could also imagine this would be good in oatmeal, given oatmeal’s bland taste.  However, I try not to start my day off with chocolate, as I end up eating enough of it throughout the remainder of the day!  I wouldn’t pair the Chocolate Dreams with anything that has a particularly strong taste because it would overshadow the subtle chocolate hints within this nut butter.

Peanut Butter & Co.’s Dark Chocolate Dreams is a bit pricy in terms of nut butter, but it’s worth the occasional splurge.  My overall verdict:  I’d rather eat a Reese’s than a spoonful of Dark Chocolate Dreams, but it’s definitely tasty enough to be more than addicting.

January 2, 2010 at 8:26 am

Oooh that does sound amazing!!!

Balance for Mere
    January 2, 2010 at 8:53 am

That sounds really good. We love the White Chocolate Wonderful from PB & Co and so now it tastes odd to eat normal PB.

January 2, 2010 at 9:55 am

Mmmm! Sounds incredible! I wanted to let you know I left you a blog award today 🙂

Abby
    January 2, 2010 at 10:13 am

Sounds good.. thanks for the review.. Im not a huge fan of such pricey indulgences BUT I totally agree that sometimes its worth the splurge!!

Amy
    January 2, 2010 at 10:32 am

oh my… peanut butter and chocolate together like that would be disasterous for me!!!! mmm…

kbwood
    January 2, 2010 at 11:05 am

i LOVEEEEEE DCD!!! i go through a jar a week! its bad!

January 2, 2010 at 11:27 am

I love that PB. I used to visit their store in NYC and bring some home with me. It was always a great treat. I am glad you are enjoying it.

January 2, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I love your last sentence, that you would rather eat a Reese’s! I agree. If I were given the option, I would choose the Reese’s, but the Dark Chocolate dreams is a nice snack that can be incorporated into a healthy snack! I mean, they are healthy fats used to make the pb, and it can go with my delicious fruits, like apples! Glad you finally got to try it 🙂

Sarah
    January 2, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I LOVE this Peanut Butter. I actually went to the restaurant and had a sandwich that was so yummy.

Just stopping by from Nicole’s blog. I love it…I am a new follower.

Jenna@ Health and Happiness
    January 2, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Oh wow! This could be dangerous. A match made in heaven is what this should be called.

January 2, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I cannot find DCD in tucson. last time I saw it was at a super target and I didn’t get any when I was there. 🙁 The MaraNatha brand of DCD is not as good and MORE expensive. So lame. Thanks for the shoutout and the review! Love it.

Hahah that’s funny about the reese’s, I would have it the other way around. Or maybe just a spoonful of PB with a couple chocolate chips. That’d be good too.

January 2, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I just finished my White Chocolate PB from them and it tasted delish! I can’t wait to try this one and all the other flavors

Oraphan
    January 2, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Oh Yum! That sounds SO good! I believe my son would love it, thanks for the great review:)

Kristina
    January 7, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Hi there!

I came across your blog and saw that you enjoy healthy cooking and experimenting with new recipes. Stonyfield Farm makes Oikos Organic Greek yogurt which can be used in a variety of ways while cooking – in baking, as a substitute for sour cream, and mayonnaise, and to create tasty low-fat dishes. Greek yogurt is strained, making it thicker and more versatile in recipes than regular yogurt. Oikos is organic, which means it’s made without artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners, and it’s made from organic milk produced without the use of toxic persistent pesticides, chemical fertilizers, antibiotics, or artificial growth hormones (rBST). We feel that organic is not only better for you, but better for the planet as well.

I’d love to send you soem coupons to give Oikos a try. If you’re interested, shoot me an email at kdrociak@stonyfield.com and let me know where to send them.

Thanks!
    Kristina
    Stonyfield Farm

jenna
    February 21, 2010 at 3:28 pm

love your blog! come check out mineeee 🙂
    jenna