Chateau Tivoli

The owners of Spirits Springs directed us to Chateau Tivoli in San Francisco for the second half of our California excursion (and got us a great discount as well).  Am I ever so thankful for this recommendation!  The Chateau Tivoli is exceedingly exceptional in pretty much all areas, everywhere from the warm, hospitable staff to the incredible water pressure of the showers.

The Chateau Tivoli is a Victorian bed and breakfast located in San Fran.’s Alamo Square District.  Built in 1892, the mansion was restored to become one of the most beautiful hotels in San Francisco.  It offers 9 rooms, all of which are ornately decorated with numerous antique furnishings and hand-carved ceiling and wall trims along with a variety of beautiful wallpapers.

The rooms are rather spacious, particularly the suite-styled rooms.  I was fortunate enough to stay in the Mark Twain suite located on the third floor.  The suite featured a rather beautiful canopied king size bed containing a large mirror directly above it.  The bed was located in i’s own open bedroom that led out into an even bigger living room type area.  In this larger area was another daybed, along with 3 different couches and a table and chairs that faced several windows looking out over the city.  The room also had a rather remarkable chess set and table, as well as several Mark Twain books signed by Twain himself.

The Chateau Tivoli served a wonderful continental breakfast on the weekdays that included fruit, smoked salmon with capers, and whole grain bread.  On Saturdays and Sundays the Chateau Tivoli serves a champagne brunch.  One of the mornings of our stay featured a rich, delicious salmon quiche, along with some cut up fruit.  They also offer wine and cheese everyday from 4-6 p.m., and tea and hot cocoa is available whenever desired.  Try sipping on some wine while playing a game of chess or nibble on some cheese while trying your hand at one of the two pianos displayed in the common area.

The staff were incredibly convivial and gracious, and were rather knowledgeable and helpful in answering questions about what to see and how to get around the city.  They even let us upgrade our room (to the Mark Twain suite) for free since no one was occupying it at the time.

The prices are quite reasonable for a hotel/B&B of this caliber.  Some of the rooms are only $100 a night on weekdays.  Even the lower priced rooms offered an exceptionally beautiful and historic decor.

Staying at the Chateau Tivoli definitely enhanced our experience in San Francisco.  It made it so we could actually experience all of the beautiful and colorful architecture that’s within much of the entire city.  Instead of staying in an average, high-rise chain hotel, the Chatea Tivoli allowed us to experience San Francisco’s beauty right within our own bedroom.

January 13, 2010 at 8:24 am

What a great place to stay!

January 13, 2010 at 8:24 am

wow, looks like an incredible place to stay!

biz319
    January 13, 2010 at 11:16 am

That bed looks so comfortable! Lucky! 😀

January 13, 2010 at 11:27 am

Sounds like QUITE the experience! I’d like to have hot chocolate at my service, whenever desired 🙂 I’ve stayed in only one bed and breakfast, and it was on a farm in Ohio. It was so nice, I loved it. I’m a big fan of more quaint places like this, rather than the typical hotel. But that’s easier said than done (obviously more expensive). Although it sounds like this place was VERY reasonably priced! Wow, you can’t beat that. And the bed, I just want to crawl into it right now.

January 13, 2010 at 12:06 pm

What an amazing place!

January 13, 2010 at 12:51 pm

That looks awesome and so relaxing. It seems like it has a neat history too.

whydeprive
    January 13, 2010 at 1:22 pm

That place looks amazing!
    The mirror above the bed would freak me out a little though. Especially in the middle of the night (never should have watched Candyman).

January 13, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I can’t believe there are signed books by Mark Twain. That’s pretty cool. I’m surprised they just leave them out and don’t fear theft! (Can you tell I’m a book nerd?) I agree with whydeprive: creepy mirror.

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad
    January 13, 2010 at 2:55 pm

That place looks exquisite! Seriously, how long is this amazing vacation that you’re on? So jealous!

Teniah Howell
    January 13, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Fantastic find – what a cool place!!! My husband and I love B&B’s and that’s where we always stay (well, in the states…here we stay in hostels)…super cool that you were able to kick back and relax here – Glad you got to enjoy this and I’m sure they will be glad for the publicity!!

eatmovelove
    January 13, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Wow – it looks beautiful. What a well-written post! I think you are a really good writer, and I am inspired by you girl! I wish it weren’t so hard to get publishing companies to take you seriously nowadays for book deals…I know it seems silly or a dream…but gosh what I would give to be able to…I mean Lauren Conrad can do it!! ;)…of course, she has alot of connections…and alot of money…and a TV show…and the looks…okay , bad example probably oops 🙂

January 13, 2010 at 9:25 pm

That place looks so welcoming and cozy! Love the chess set!! Your photos are absolutely gorgeous! Pass on some photog secrets!

January 15, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Oh it’s so pretty! Thanks for your review.. and what an awesome time.

Jealous. 😉

julie
    January 19, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I noticed this place recently, due to its adorable pink paint job, and the purple house next to it. Looks just as cute inside. Glad you’re enjoying our pretty little city!