Eat your veggies

Did you know that it takes 44 gallons of water to produce a pound of meat, but just 14 gallons of water to produce a pound of wheat?  Eating more vegetable and less meat will not only help enrich your diet, but will also be a great benefit for the environment.

Raising livestock contributes to numerous environmental problems, such as air pollution, water pollution, and land degradation.  It is estimated that livestock account for 18% of greenhouse gases, making them one of the major contributors to global warming.

Livestock also contributes to mass deforestation.  Grazing for animals occupies approximately 26 percent of the Earth’s terrestrial surface.  In order to clear the way for livestock, trees are callously cut down.  While this allows some animals room to roam, a large majority of farm-raised animals aren’t even given space to live and are caged up as if they were objects.

At least for this upcoming week, focus on decreasing your portions of meat (if you eat meat) and increasing the amount of vegetables in your diet.  Increase your veggie intake and you will help the environment and do wonders for your body, such as decreasing your risk of chronic diseases such as diabetes, cancer, and heart disease.  Veggies are packed with fiber to help you feel full and loaded with vitamins to keep your brain sharp and your body healthy.  Stay tuned for some tips on incorporating more veggies into your diet.

January 21, 2010 at 8:26 am

All about the trophic levels! Way more energy efficient to be a vegetarian. This is the reason behind so many poorer countries having a majority vegetarian diet. It makes better use of the land.

January 21, 2010 at 8:35 am

I love this and hope it becomes a trend all around the world! 🙂

January 21, 2010 at 8:39 am

And meat’s pretty expensive if you eat it every night. I’m actually trying to eat more protein from chicken because of a treatment I’m doing for an injury, but it’s not cheap!

eatmovelove
    January 21, 2010 at 9:10 am

Sorry – I eat meat – but I also eat veggies and bread…whatever I’m not overthinking it…thanks for the comment about the quote on my blog – it’s actually not a direct quote, but a series of things I’ve gathered/been told that seemed to fit well together…enjoy your day 🙂

January 21, 2010 at 9:20 am

True. For me the key is to make veggies the focus of every meal. We have been continuously decreasing our meat consumption and eat very little at this point.

Vern Myers
    January 21, 2010 at 9:55 am

Thanks for the thoughtful posts that contribute to awareness of nutritional and environmental concerns. My wife and I had greatly reduced our meat consumption over the years, and recently transitioned to a vegetarian diet.

We also appreciate the recipes you post! Thw new recipes that we are finding on several excellent blogs are helping us vary our new diet and keep it fresh and interesting!

Heather
    January 21, 2010 at 10:26 am

I am really cutting back on my meat intake – trying to eat it only once or twice a week. Meat is so much more expensive than things like tofu or beans as well.

Great post!

kbwood
    January 21, 2010 at 12:55 pm

amen! i love me some veggies!

Teniah Howell
    January 21, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Very cool blog post! Keep those vege blogs comin’! =) And you know we all love it when you post cool recipes for us to try.

January 21, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Yums! I love veggies so this is easy peasy for me ha

Chrysta
    January 21, 2010 at 4:30 pm

great post! I totally agree that we need to up our veggie consumption as a whole and take it down a few notches on the meat. My favorite food is actually veggies but my husband doesnt believe me. hahah. A big plate of veggies just makes me one happy girl!

January 21, 2010 at 6:55 pm

What an interesting statistic (about the water). I really do not eat a lot of meat, or poultry, and I focus a lot of my diet on whole grains and veggies. I will think about this statistic from now on, but overall, I think I do well. I can’t wait to read your tips! I just had a very veggie-filled dinner, with kale chips, corn, red peppers, and sweet potato (and about 2 ounces lean ground beef). But hey, pretty good!

sophia
    January 21, 2010 at 11:32 pm

I’m not a vegetarian, but I do eat mostly vegetables and grains. Hee hee, so unconsciously, I’ve been helping the world! Cool!

garysmith
    January 22, 2010 at 9:31 am

Here is a good video on the subject: http://meat.org

Choosing the Best Veggies « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    January 23, 2010 at 7:37 am

[…] for your eye and will ensure that you won’t get bored with your diet!  So try out my challenge, and for the upcoming week add more veggies to your diet, while decreasing the portions of meat you […]