The Pomelo

Pomelos are my new favorite treat.  I tend to generally eat a lot of citrus during the winter months, such as oranges, clementines, and grapefruit since my other favorite fruits aren’t in season.  My roommate eats a lot of fruit as well, and so a couple weeks ago she brought home what I surmised was a gigantic grapefruit.  I told her I had never seen a grapefruit that big!  That’s when she told me, “It’s not a grapefruit silly.  It’s a pomelo,” introducing a whole new and delicious citrus fruit to my winter diet.

Pomelos look and taste similar to grapefruits, with subtle differences.  For one, they’re much larger in size.  Pomelos are the largest citrus fruit, although I must admit that half of this size difference is due to pomelos’ thick skin.  The taste is similar to that of a grapefruit but is a tad sweeter and milder.  The texture slightly differs as well, as it is a bit coarser containing a bunch of little juicy beads that pop in your mouth.

A pomelo placed beside a regular apple...so big

While some might argue that pomelos aren’t worth buying because they’re a tad pricy (the price depends upon where you buy it, but definitely priced higher than regular grapefruit), I find their size and sweet grapefruit taste quite intriguing.  I’ve advocated this policy before but once again, I’d rather spend my money on a delicious and unique fruit than a shoddy dessert.  The size and mysteriousness of a pomelo makes me excited about munching on a fruit.

If you decide to splurge on a pomelo, choose one on the heavier side.  These tend to be jucier and sweeter.  And if you decide you want to get creative, try candying the rind.

January 25, 2010 at 8:37 am

I’ve never heard of this before. Sounds delicious, though. I’ll have to look for one the next time I’m at the grocery store!

January 25, 2010 at 8:59 am

One of our neighbors down the street has a pomelo tree, and I don’t think they eat them (as far as I can tell, but I could be wrong). I always want to ask them if I can have some, but so far I’ve been too chicken…

January 25, 2010 at 12:04 pm

I just started to see them at the commissary here which is a nice surprise. I haven’t had one in a while.

January 25, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I’ve never heard of these either! I will keep my eyes peeled next time I am at KRoger. I love citrus fruits too. Lately I’ve been really into oranges, eating one just about everyday. And of course, clementines!

kbwood
    January 25, 2010 at 6:38 pm

wow ive never heard of these before! ill have to be on the lookout!!

January 25, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Candying the rind….um, YUM! Brilliant! I’m yet to try a pomelo (shame, shame! I know!) I’ll pick one up the next time I see one though!!! Looks and sounds unique and delicious! 🙂

January 25, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Wow I’ve never even heard of that before!

eatmovelove
    January 25, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Interesting. Agreed though – spend your money on good, tasty food 🙂

marla (Family Fresh Cooking)
    January 26, 2010 at 9:25 am

I have never tried a Pomelo. Thanks for the introduction….sounds great 🙂 xo

mara
    January 26, 2010 at 10:39 am

I’ve never tried one of these, but now you’ve made me want to find one! I love grapefruit too.

January 26, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I never tried a Pomelo before, I am going to look for it. =)

February 3, 2010 at 7:50 am

Mmm.. let’s see if this will be in my product knowledge class! I really want to be quizzed and be totally on point with all the random blogger foods out there. coughkabochacough. 🙂 and now pomelo! which i’m interested to try now..

Leah
    August 15, 2012 at 9:01 pm

There are so many pomelos in China. When it’s in the season, trees are full of them, those ripe ones just fell down the ground, too many to be eaten.