Pumpkin Oatmeal

I stumbled upon making this variation of oatmeal just this past fall when my local Trader Joe’s was having a sale on pureed pumpkin.  I took some of the canned pumpkin home and then contemplated the numerous ways I could use it.  While I love pumpkin pie, the holidays were coming up and I had already been stuffing myself with treats, so I decided on whipping up a healthier kind of treat:  Pumpkin Oatmeal.  The addition of pumpkin to the standard bowl of morning oats turns this breakfast into a hearty, extra creamy and nutritious delight.  Enjoy.

Pumpkin Oats

(Serves 1)

-1/3 cup of old fashioned oats
-1/3 cup of pumpkin puree
-2/3 cups of water or milk/soy milk/almond milk, or a combination
-Dash of cinnamon
-Brown sugar, to taste
-Salt, to taste

Add the first 4 ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer, and cook until oats reach desired consistency (about 8-10 minutes).  Remove from heat and place in a bowl.  Sprinkle with brown sugar and salt.

January 29, 2010 at 8:37 am

This looks amazing. I have pumpkin on my grocery list (um, yeah, I haven’t been to the grocery store in a couple weeks. Oops.). I am whipping up a bowl of this ASAP!

fitandfortysomething
    January 29, 2010 at 8:59 am

yum! Niff said!

January 29, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Looks good. I had some with strawberries and almond butter this morning, but I guess I have some pumpkin around and could have done this too.

Monique
    January 29, 2010 at 12:50 pm

mmmm! pumpkin oats are amaze-ing

January 29, 2010 at 12:51 pm

This is my favorite breakfast combination (but add peanut butter!) Unfortunately I can’t find canned pumpkin ANYWHERE and I’m going through some serious withdraw. So sad.

As for my post, the 25 grams of crackers was random, I know, but a majority of cracker boxes will use grams as a serving size. So rather than saying, “use 5 crackers” I know that most crackers are different in size so the grams are a unit of measurement that is often easier when dealing with crackers. The box might say, “Serving Size, 5 crackers (35 grams)” or something like that.

Naomi (onefitfoodie)
    January 29, 2010 at 2:44 pm

uhhhmazing 🙂

kbwood
    January 29, 2010 at 3:13 pm

YUMM!! i <3 me some pumpkin oats!

January 29, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Love, love, love pumpkin oats! Awesome color! I want some! 🙂

Happy weekend!

January 29, 2010 at 5:40 pm

I’ve seen this on other blogs and it looks fantastic!

Heather
    January 29, 2010 at 10:43 pm

I haven’t had pumpkin oats in a long time – I have a can in my pantry that could be used though.

Pumpkin yogurt seems to be popular too – mix a little pumpkin into some yogurt.

January 30, 2010 at 10:01 am

I have three cans of pumpkin puree sitting at home waiting to be shipped to NY. They were a couple items in the “won’t fit in suitcase- ship later” pile and I want them NOW. Especially after reading this post! I have a feeling I am going to be eating my fair share of oatmeal the next couple cold months.

BTW- my first yoga endeavor here at the CIA I did in the locker room at the rec center because the studio was being used- with my headphones/podcast in my ears. Thought you’d be proud! 😉

Corinne Dobbas
    January 30, 2010 at 10:09 am

This is awesome! What a fun way to add fiber, Vitamin A, and lots of antioxidants to your oatmeal! I’ve never actually tried it … but I will! Thanks!

January 30, 2010 at 11:03 am

I loved your interview from The Pudding Weekly — the section where you talk about growing up in the middle of no where was so sweet. I feel like I “know” you so much better after reading that. You interview really well!

Anyways, I need to try pumpkin oats with pumpkin puree. My lazy butt just buys the pumpkin butter when it’s in season. Mmm! : )

Fit Chick in the City
    January 30, 2010 at 6:20 pm

I’ve eaten pumpkin oatmeal nearly everyday for the las 4 or 5 months. Love it!

Oraphan
    February 2, 2010 at 2:28 am

Oh Yum! This looks fantastic! I’m a big fan of pumpkin and this will be my breakfast menu for tomorrow. Thank you for the recipe, YUM!

Kyra (Scribbles & Sprinkles)
    January 9, 2013 at 9:53 pm