Black Bean Recipe

Growing up, rice and beans was always a staple in my house.  We would eat various kinds of beans at least two or three times a week, paired alongside brown rice or occasionally some other random grain.  Since moving out, I’ve carried on the tradition of making beans and rice, and typically still end up eating this duo a few times a week due to the amount of leftovers my usual pot of beans provides.  Beans provide a hearty, protein-filled ingredient and are especially perfect for college vegetarians.  They’re super cheap and can be made into a super tasty meal without the need of any meat.  The best part is, beans can be whipped up in no time and take little culinary skills to make.

Below is a rendition of one of my go-to bean dishes.  Feel free to eyeball the ingredients (which is what I typically do) or experiment with different veggies and spices, or let my recipe be your guide.  I like to pair the beans with a grain or squash, along with some salsa and maybe some cilantro.

Grace’s Vegetarian Black Beans

(Serves 3-4)

-1/2 large onion, diced
-1/4 green pepper, diced
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 15.5 0z. can black beans, drained
-1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
-1/2 can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with 1/2 the juice
-1 scant tsp. chili powder
-1/4 tsp. coriander
-Salt and pepper, to taste (I typically do around 1/4 tsp. salt)
-Olive oil
-Cilantro, optional
-Salsa, optional

Heat large saucepan on medium heat.  Coat pan with olive oil.  Add onions, garlic, and peppers and saute for 5 minutes.  Add mushrooms, spices, and salt and pepper and saute another 2 minutes.  Add beans and tomatoes.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least ten minutes.  Remove from heat, and top individual portions with cilantro and salsa, if desired.

February 2, 2010 at 8:00 am

I have a can of black beans, navy beans and red beans in my cupboard – time to get going 🙂 Love beans, with rice and veggies and – yeah, I still eat another meat/fish/tofu with it …may be overkill (certainly for my tumm) but whatev’s…

February 2, 2010 at 8:04 am

Ooooh looks good. I love beans and this looks right up my alley. Great vegetarian dish.

February 2, 2010 at 8:15 am

Yum! Looks like a great use of black beans!

To answer your question: BOTH! I contact a lot of places and then some also contact me to try all the great food!

February 2, 2010 at 8:47 am

Ironically I was just reading another post and they asked what our favorite meal form childhood was, I almost said my mom’s rice and bean recipe! It was very similar to this one, but it had lots of cheese on top, my favorite 🙂

I really LOVE beans, but with my IBS/fructose intolerance it’s hard for me to eat beans without feeling really uncomfortable all day. It’s just not worth it. It’s too bad too because beans, as you said, are SO HEALTHY!! I mean, they’re the magical fruit, right?!

February 2, 2010 at 10:08 am

great recipe!!
    girl i freeze my yogurt for about 1-2 hrs..dont wait til its TOO hard bc then you wont be able to eat it! if you pull it out at just the right time, its kind of like a thicker froyo consistency!

February 2, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Beans and rice are classic comfort foods in my mind- Been making various combinations of the two for as long as I’ve been vegan! It’s always nice to find new suggestions on how to spice it up a bit, and your black beans sound quite tasty indeed.

February 2, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I love beans. I’m a huge fan of beans as a source of protein on my salads. This recipe sounds really good.

Teniah Howell
    February 2, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Can’t wait to try this one…looks fabulous! I love black beans.

February 2, 2010 at 11:07 pm

I love rice & beans. Sounds delicious!

February 3, 2010 at 12:36 am

Your black bean dish looks amazingly delicious! I love rice and beans too. Your recipe sounds fantastic, I love all the ingredients that you used. Can’t wait to give it a try, YUM!

February 3, 2010 at 7:52 am

It’s funny we used to eat a lot of beans and rice growing up too.. but since then we eat a lot more veggies and chicken and meat. But as a vegetarian option,these are great! And I loove black beans in the mornings with eggs.

February 6, 2010 at 11:11 pm

I love beans – black are my favorite.

In grad school I used to add beans to taco meat to make it last longer – now I’m really trying to reduce my meat intake, so I’m eating a lot more beans.

I just wish I could get my husband to like a few more varieties of beans…

Two Bean Stew « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    February 9, 2010 at 7:34 am

[…] I mentioned in one of my more recent recipe posts, beans are a staple in my diet and one of my favorite ingredients to utilize.  There’s just […]

February 10, 2010 at 2:41 pm

omg- those beans look amazing! What color! thanks for sharing your recipe

Cinco De Mayo: Taco Time « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    May 4, 2010 at 6:01 am

[…] with which I like to fill my tortillas.  One utilizes black beans, and the recipe can be found here.  The other utilizes pinto beans, which can be seen below.  For both recipes, simply fill a warm […]