Oikos Yogurt

The lovely folks at Stonyfield contacted me a few weeks ago and sent me several coupons for some free Oikos Greek Yogurt.

I’m a huge fan of Greek yogurt because of it’s rich, thick and creamy texture.  Due to a straining process which helps to remove some of the whey (liquid), Greek yogurt is able to achieve a thick consistency, even when the fat is removed.  While full fat Greek yogurt is certainly available for purchase, the inherent creaminess of the nonfat Greek yogurt makes it so I don’t need to miss the fat at all.

In addition to it’s wonderful consistency, Greek yogurt provides a hefty amount of protein.  One container of Oikos 5.3 oz. Plain Greek Yogurt offers 15 grams, or 30% of your daily recommended intake.  As you can see, Greek yogurt packs a lot of protein in a small amount.

While Greek  yogurt doesn’t contain quite as much calcium as regular yogurt due to the straining process it undergoes, it still contains a considerably substantial amount.  A serving of Oikos Plain Greek Yogurt contains 20% DRI of calcium, just ten percent less than Stonyfield’s orginal plain yogurt.

And as with all yogurt, Greek yogurt contains probiotics, live bacteria known to benefit the body in numerous ways, such as helping to aid with the process of digestion.  Oikos plain yogurt contains the following five strains: S. thermophilus, L. bulgaricus, L. acidophilus, Bifidus, and L. casei.

Oikos offers several flavors, including plain, vanilla, honey, strawberry, blueberry, caramel, and chocolate.  I was lucky enough to sample the plain, honey, and blueberry.  I plan on searching for a store near me that offers the chocolate and caramel, two very intriguing flavors!

I have to admit that Oikos didn’t have quite the same thickness and richness as some of my other favorite Greek yogurt brands, but it definitely captured a wonderful taste.  My favorite was the blueberry, containing vanilla yogurt on top and real blueberries on the bottom.  While I didn’t dislike the honey flavor, the honey on the bottom was just a little too liquidy for my predilection, and I think I would prefer to add my own honey to Oikos’s plain variety.

What I really like about Oikos is that it’s organic.  As quoted on their website, “Oikos is the first certified-organic Greek yogurt on the market.”  This means Stonyfield created Oikos without the use of antibiotics, artificial growth hormones, genetically modified organisms, chemical fertilizers, or toxic and persistent pesticides.  This not only benefits our bodies but the environment as well.  Kudos for this!

If you decide to try Oikos, check out Stonyfield’s’ recipe page, which will give you more than a handful of creative ways to put your Greek yogurt to use!

February 11, 2010 at 7:54 am

i have yet to try oikos yogurt but it looks great!

katie
    February 11, 2010 at 8:43 am

Oikos is amazing!! Love the strawberry flavor the best!!!!

U must try Mighty Maple PB, u will love it!!! xo

February 11, 2010 at 10:01 am

I’ve never tried Oikos. I’m still a Fage fan, though I’ve heard Chobani gives it a run for its money. I’ll add this to the to-try list, too. You can’t go wrong with Greek yogurt!

February 11, 2010 at 11:48 am

Honey Oikos is the best yogurt EVER! I am dying to try the Caramel!!!!!!!

lowandbhold
    February 11, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I love greek yogurt. I agree about the honey though, it kind of grossed me out!

alex
    February 11, 2010 at 6:25 pm

ooh, how does it compare to fage??

February 12, 2010 at 8:23 am

I’m a huge fan of Oikos Greek yogurts! I will admit though, after trying Chobani yogurt for the first time a couple weeks ago, I do find it creamier. I didn’t used to think there was a difference between the brands, but there is! I appreciate the organic natural of the Oikos, and their efforts to teach Americans about healthy living, but Chobani is creamier, what can I say?! The recipe link is helpful, thanks. I use my greek yogurt in MANY foods!

I hope you have a great weekend, and a wonderful Valentine’s day.

Michelle
      November 14, 2012 at 10:12 am

I think the Oikos brand far exceeds Chobani. Chobani has a slightly sour taste and is grainy where as the Oikos is sweet and creamy. The fruit on the bottom is much better than their
      mixed variety though. It is the perfect t thickness. You can easily make it dessert and not feel cheated!

February 12, 2010 at 10:34 am

I agree with you about Oikos not being as creamy. I’m yet to try Fage because I like the honey variety and I think think they have it (yet)…but Chobani gets my vote!

Jenna @ Healthy. Happy. Well.
    February 12, 2010 at 11:00 am

I’m trying to slowly go back to eating dairy and greek yogurt is going to be one of the first things I try. I can’t wait! I’ve heard a lot of really good things about chobani!

jenna
    February 14, 2010 at 11:37 am

hey!
    i just came across your blog and i can’t wait to keep reading!
    i would love it if you could check out mine and follow 🙂
    jenna

marla {Family Fresh Cooking}
    February 15, 2010 at 9:29 am

I am a huge fan of thick greek yogurt…only problem is they are never thick enough for my taste. I eat so much of it, I took the matter into my own hands and started straining plain non fat yogurt and sweeten it to taste. Link below to show you how: xxoo

KC
    August 17, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I see that Dannon bought Oikos & has lost it’s organic status. (boo! hiss!!) After trying 3 various flavors (blueberry -best, strawberry -needs more fruit & peach -gack! & I LOVE peaches) this past week, sad to say I am NOT impressed. Too bad I didn’t get my mitts on any when it was made by Stonyfield. Conglomos like Dannon just want profit, profit, profit & have ruined so many wonderful products. While Oikos is “thick” I suspect it owes it more to the cornstarch than anything else. I’ll stick with Trader Joe’s Greek yogurt & add in my own yummies.

Cindy
    July 31, 2012 at 10:22 am

Actually, Dannon did not buy Stoneyfield’s Oikos. They work in partnership. Stoneyfield still produces organic Oikos Greek Yogurt with no recipe change. Dannon also produces an Oikos Greek yogurt with a slightly altered, non organic recipe. Dannon’s yogurt has a darker blue packaging and Stoneyfield’s is light blue and found in the natural foods section of most stores.