Blood Oranges

This is another post about one of those rare fruits I like to treat myself to…What’s the fruit this time you ask?  Blood Oranges.

Blood oranges are like clams that hold a pearl full of color inside.  While they appear quite similar to regular oranges on the outside, although a tad smaller and a slightly redder hue, the inside of these oranges cannot even compare to that of even the most orangest of oranges.

Blood oranges hold inside exactly what their name implies:  A deep, juicy, blood colored flesh.

And you don’t have to be a vampire to love these babies’ juicy crimson flesh.  Blood oranges have a deliciously tart citrus flavor with sweet undertones.  While they do have the perfect sweet-sour combo., they are significantly less acidic tasting than regular oranges. Say goodbye to puckering, and hello to relishing in taste and color.

Blood oranges are the perfect snack to eat as is, but also taste and look wonderful on both fruit and green salads.  They have 3 grams of fiber per orange, as well as 110% RDA of vitamin C.  They also boast of list full of other vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, B vitamins, and folic acid.

Skip the chocolate…scratch that, keep the yummy chocolate but skip the red roses, and break out this lovely red fruit just in time for Valentine’s Day.  It’s color just screams of love.

February 13, 2010 at 7:20 am

oh I’ve never seen or tried these before – great to know!

Morgan
    February 13, 2010 at 9:07 am

I tried blood oranges for the first time last week, and I swear it changed my life. They are amazing!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad
    February 13, 2010 at 9:50 am

I have always wanted to try these! They never have them at my grocery store though 🙁

Corinne Dobbas
    February 13, 2010 at 10:04 am

Love blood oranges AND love this post! And, I like the idea of keepin’ the chocolate, after all it’s V-day weekend 🙂 Have an awesome weekend!!!

Chrysta
    February 13, 2010 at 2:41 pm

thanks for the awesome info on these! I just picked some up at WF and cant wait to eat them! Have an awesome weekend!

February 13, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I have always wanted to try these, too! I feel like the crazy things you try I always end up trying shortly after you blog about them! Wooo!

livinlovinlearnin
    February 13, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Those oranges look delicious! I want to try to find them somewhere now! And I definitely agree about skipping the roses, and instead getting chocolate and oranges 🙂

February 14, 2010 at 9:36 am

I’m going to have to try another blood orange. I think the first time I had one I didn’t give it enough of a chance. This was a long time ago and I just wasn’t ready for the “change” in color and I assumed I wouldn’t like them, therefore I didn’t. You know how that goes.

I told Nick to skip the flowers and just get me chocolate. haha. Perhaps I should ask him for some blood oranges instead 🙂

February 14, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I don’t think I ever tried those…they are a beautiful fruit…

Amanda
    February 14, 2010 at 9:48 pm

You know when I was a kid my Mam bought be blood oranges (they are really easy to get in the UK) and I cried for days. I thought she had killed the orange for me and was making me eat it raw. Stupid eh……. 🙂
    just come across your blog – its great!

onehealthyapple
    February 14, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I love blood oranges! I’m not sure if they taste better (I swear they are sweeter), but they are sure pretty! Your photography is stunning, too!

Daniel
    February 14, 2010 at 11:12 pm

There was a recent post from the Yale Sustainable Food Project on blood orange cake:

US Nutrition
    July 7, 2010 at 3:56 am

Blood Oranges…

I found your entry interesting thus I’ve added a Trackback to it on my weblog :)…