Quinoa Breakfast Cereal

My favorite way to eat quinoa is actually for breakfast.  If you make a pot for dinner, be sure to make extra for the morning.  The following general recipe combines leftover quinoa with a couple of key ingredients to make a quick and easy breakfast that I currently believe is able to beat out almost any oatmeal concoction!

Quinoa Breakfast Cereal

-Leftover quinoa*
-Raisins
-Soy Milk
-Brown sugar
-Salt

Place a serving of quinoa (however much you’re hungry for) into a bowl.  Stir in enough soymilk to moisten as well as a handful of raisins.  Heat in microwave for two minutes, or until thoroughly heated.  Top with cold soy milk, brown sugar, and salt, to taste.

*If you don’t have any leftover quinoa but would still like to enjoy some for breakfast, quinoa really doesn’t take too much time to make and can be easily cooked from scratch in the morning if desired.  Instead of following the cooking method mentioned yesterday, try combining one cup of quinoa with 1 1/2 cups of soymilk and a handful of raisins.  Bring to a boil, and then simmer for 15-20 minutes for an extra creamy porridge.  Like above, top with brown sugar and salt.  Feel free to also experiment with adding dried cranberries, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and/or chopped nuts.

Note to fellow food bloggers:  You’ll have to let me know what you think, since I know so many of you are such avid oatmeal fans!

February 20, 2010 at 8:43 am

I think this sounds really good. I have leftover quinoa in my fridge, but in the morning I guess I crave a BIG bowl of something. With quinoa, 1/2 cup is almost 170 calories, but 1 cup of oat bran is 130! I would prefer the more volumous meal. HOWEVER< I think I would eat this for a late night snack, or a dessert!! I think that sounds even better. Thanks for the recipe, and the idea. I really do want to try this!

Amanda Thebe
    February 20, 2010 at 10:07 am

I really like the way oatmeal is stodgy and sticky, whereas quinoa isnt. So I wonder if this would be nice mixed in with the oatmeal to bind it more. Sometimes I grate an apple into my oatmeal to sweeten it, that would be nice here too I think. I dont mind that quinoa is high in calories, they are good calories 🙂

February 20, 2010 at 10:07 am

This sounds great! I’m a huge oatmeal fan but I’m sick of it right now so quinoa seems like a great replacement. Lucky for me, I have some on hand. 🙂

February 20, 2010 at 12:39 pm

oh wow, what a great idea!

February 20, 2010 at 2:03 pm

That does sound really good and you even get protein with breakfast that way!

Teniah Howell
    February 20, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Definitely going to give this a go….I’ll let you know what I think later. =)

Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce
    February 20, 2010 at 2:15 pm

so funny you should post about quinoa for breakfast, i JUST made quinoa last night and intentionally made extra to save for this purpose! i love the idea of making it with soy milk and brown sugar, perfect way to start off your morning

tropicaleats
    February 21, 2010 at 12:10 am

ahhh this looks really interesting. will definitely have to try this out… never had quinoa before!

livinlovinlearnin
    February 21, 2010 at 8:26 pm

This looks so great! I will probably try it for a snack, because I agree with Gina – I definitely like a more voluminous breakfast. I need to remember to make enough quinoa for leftovers next time I make some!

katie
    February 21, 2010 at 10:36 pm

quinoa is amazing and what a yummy breakfast!!!! Thanks for sharing this recipe love!!!!!!

February 21, 2010 at 11:48 pm

I’ve never had quinoa for breakfast. Sounds delicious!

marla {Family Fresh Cooking}
    February 22, 2010 at 11:14 pm

I love this take on hot cereal. Love my oats, but I am willing to divert for this quinoa. Love the look of the red quinoa! Thanks for the inspiration 🙂

February 28, 2010 at 9:36 am

Quinoa cereal is something I have meaning to try and still haven’t tried it. I always have a ton of quinoa at home too. OH well. 🙁 Great post though Grace!
    Love learning about all the grains, because what do you know? I haven’t learned much about grains yet here at school.

xoxo

Easy Quinoa Avocado Salad « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    September 10, 2010 at 6:04 am

[…] amino acids, one of the few plant-based foods that comprises all nine).  I love eating it for breakfast, for lunch, and for […]

Asian Quinoa Salad « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    November 28, 2010 at 5:28 am

[…] Let’s go with quinoa, always a favorite grain.  Cool, crunchy, nutty, and nutritious.  You can read more about this superfood here.  Or you can just trust me in that it tastes awesome, needs only minimal sprucing up, and is packed full of that good-for-you-stuff we’ll just generally categorize as nutrients.  Tossing quinoa with chewy baked tofu, creamy avocado, and whatever else that’s inspiring me at the moment creates one of my frequent go-to lunches.  Quadruple the recipe and serve it to your pals, or just make some extra quinoa for yourself and set it aside for breakfast. […]

helena
    December 13, 2010 at 4:36 pm

this is delicious!!! I tried by adding berries I had frozen from this summer, and pomegranate seeds it felt and tasted amazing!!!!! THANK YOU!!!