Bulgur Wheat

Bulgur wheat is made from kernels of wheat that have been boiled, dried, and then crushed.  It has been a staple grain in the Mediterranean diet for thousands of years.

Bulgur has become increasingly popular in America, as the Mediterranean diet is progressively being advocated as an emblem of health.  Bulgur is widely known as the key ingredient in tabbouleh, a pilaf of which typically includes olive oil, lemon juice, spices, tomatoes, and of course, bulghur.

This longstanding grain has a slightly nutty flavor as well as a moderately chewy and soft texture.

Bulgur is a part of the Mediterranean diet that is worth boasting about in terms of nutrition.  The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) ranks bulgur wheat as the number one grain in a scoring of nutrition, winning out over wheat germ, pearled barley, brown rice and pasta.  Per one cup cooked, bulgur has 8 grams of fiber, or 33% DV.  It also has 6 grams of protein and 11% DV of iron for only 150 calories.  Bulghur is also exceptionally high in manganese and magnesium.

One of my favorite things about bulgur is its quick cooking time.  Some people prepare it by simply boiling water, pouring it over the bulgur wheat, and letting it stand for 15-20 minutes until it absorbs most of the water.  I prefer a softer texture, so I like to actually cook the bulgur wheat.  For four servings, combine one cup bulgur wheat with two cups water, bring to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Bulgur can either be eaten plain with either a drizzle of soy sauce or olive oil, or it can be mixed into countless

Simply prepared

recipes.  As I’ve mentioned before, tabbouleh is one of the most popular ways to utilize bulgur, and also one of my favorite ways.  The following is a recipe that I loosely follow.  It’s not all that original, but sometimes classic is the way to go.  I

tend to just eyeball the ingredients, but the measurements are my best guess as to what actually goes into my tabbouleh.

Tabbouleh
-1 cup bulgur wheat
-1 lemon, squeezed
-2 tbsp. olive oil (preferably extra virgin)
-2 Tbsp. fresh mint. or 2 tsp. dried mint
-1/4 cup parsley, chopped
-1/2 cup chick peas, drained
-Salt and pepper, to taste  (a few cracks around the bowl)
-1/4 cup radishes, chopped (optional)
-1/4 cup cucumber, chopped (optional)
-10-15 cherry tomatoes, sliced (optional)

Combine bulghur with two cups of water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes.  Transfer bulghur to a large serving bowl, and fluff with a fork.  Add remaining ingredients and combine thoroughly.  Garnish with a few fresh mint or parsley leaves on top.

February 21, 2010 at 7:54 am

oooh what a great reminder that I have used this is a while! thanks!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad
    February 21, 2010 at 10:06 am

I bought some bulgar a few weeks ago, and I’ve been wondering what I should do with it and how I should cook it! I thought it would have a much longer cooking time! I’m glad its a quick cook.

kbwood
    February 21, 2010 at 5:48 pm

ive never tried this! it sounds easy enough tho-itd be a great way to get more grains in..thanks for sharing!

February 21, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Tabbouli is delish but I have to make mine slightly untraditional because I am allergic to mint. Strange but true. Thanks for the info.

February 21, 2010 at 6:58 pm

My mom uses bulghur when she makes quipes! yuuuuums

February 21, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I think I have only had bulghur in the form of tabbouleh. I love it! Of course now that I’m not eating wheat, I can’t have it anymore, but I enjoyed it while I could. I think I could try to make tabbouleh with quinoa, which may be pretty similar. I love whole grains with soy sauce drizzled on top. Soy sauce makes EVERYTHING taste better!

Jenna @ Healthy. Happy. Well.
    February 21, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Thanks for the recipe! This looks awesome!

February 22, 2010 at 6:56 am

Bulghur wheat and bulghur are the same, right? I love the picture, and I love bulghur! Just making sure that it’s a whole grain — 99% sure 🙂

I love these grain reviews!

Chrysta
    February 22, 2010 at 2:06 pm

awesome review! I love Bulghur! Its one of those foods I used to eat all the time and kind of forgot about. Thanks so much for reminding me. Have a great Monday!

ceren
    February 22, 2010 at 4:46 pm

What a coincidence! I just wrote an entry with my own very simple bulgur recipe. It’s my favorite grain and switching to bulgur entirely has been a great dietary change for me. (I was eating too much pasta for a while back there 😛 )

Aduki Beans and Bulgur Wheat « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    October 4, 2010 at 10:55 am

[…] mix of aduki beans and bulgur wheat infused with cumin and coriander and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, topped with fresh pico de gallo […]

Bulgur Stuffed Peppers « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    January 30, 2011 at 3:06 pm

[…] packed the peppers with iron-rich bulgur wheat, threw in a few herbs and a fresh chili for a kick of heat, and then ended up adding some soy […]

Rice Salad with Marinated Tempeh « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    November 27, 2011 at 9:52 am

[…] say you’re tired of brown rice (as used in this recipe), so then go for quinoa. Or bulgur wheat. Or maybe you even try millet. The list could go on, so even though the 3-part formula essentially […]

Vegan Bean and Sausage Chili « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    February 13, 2012 at 6:10 am

[…] and cook 35-45 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Serve atop bulgur wheat.  Garnish with fresh cilantro. Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. from → […]