Bulghur Lentil Pilaf with Tahini-Herb Sauce

This was a recipe I actually got from the Food Network Kitchen.  I was quite impressed with the results.  The moderately mild flavors of the lentils and bulghur pair perfectly with the creamy, herbiness of the tahini sauce.  The pilaf requires a few steps and a handful of ingredients, but it’s really rather easy to make and is worth your time.

Bulghur Lentil Pilaf with Tahini-Herb Sauce

Pilaf
-4 cups water
-1 cup lentils
-2 large onions, diced
-1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil  (I reduced this to about 3 Tbsp.)
-1 cup bulghur, medium grind
-1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
-Freshly ground black pepper

Topping
-2 cups grape tomatoes, halved  (I felt that one cup sufficed)
-1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, mint, or dill, or combo.

Tahini-Herb Sauce
-1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley
-1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
-1/4 cup water
-1/4 cup tahini
-2 tsp. honey
-1 garlic clove, smashed
-1 tsp. kosher salt
-Freshly ground black pepper

For the pilaf:  In a medium saucepan, bring the water and lentils to a boil.  Adjust heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.  Meanwhile, fry the onions in olive oil over medium heat until well browned, about 12 minutes.  (If onions begin to stick, add a few Tbsp. of water).  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.  To the pan with the lentils, add the onions, bulghur, and 1 1/2 tsp. salt.  Bring to a full simmer, cover, and cook 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and let stand for an additional 15 minutes.

While the mixture is standing, make the tahini-herb sauce by pureeing all ingredients in a blender of food processor.  (I found that a  food processor worked best).

Transfer pilaf to a serving dish and top with tomatoes and herbs.  Serve with drizzled tahini-herb sauce over top.

February 23, 2010 at 8:17 am

oh that sounds great!

February 23, 2010 at 9:26 am

This sounds awesome. I love that you reduce the olive oil from 1/2 cup to 3 Tbsp. Sometimes recipes that aren’t made specifically to be healthy use fats in excess when you can easily cut down.

Can You Stay for Dinner
    February 23, 2010 at 10:06 am

This looks like a fantastic recipe! I was just looking around for a recipe that included tahini! Thanks!!

marla {Family Fresh Cooking}
    February 23, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I love what you have done here….complex carbs, protein, healthy fats. Awesome combos!! The tahini herb sauce is the perfect topper!

February 23, 2010 at 1:02 pm

That certainly sounds delish. Thanks for the recipe.

February 23, 2010 at 3:27 pm

That sounds good but where is picture of the end result lol

tasteofbeirut
    February 23, 2010 at 9:26 pm

This is a nice take on a Lebanese traditional mujaddara. I am glad you liked it!

February 23, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Mmm, great recipe. Do you know I have never made a Food Network recipe? Unless you count Alton Brown’s cookbook (which actually you should..). But I have never used abything other than Alton’s recipes. It’s crazy because I watch the Food Network all the time!

I just read your comment on my blog. I am a sugar addict too, which is why I do better when I don’t eat a lot. I’m just like my mom, when I start eating it I really can’t stop. I don’t feel deprived because I still allow myself the dark chocolate and Ic/frozen yogurt, but not until late at night. Why? Because I have more control when I know I am going to bed soon. I don’t like sleeping on a full stomach, so that prevents me from eating too much! I sort of trick myself 😉

whydeprive
    February 24, 2010 at 1:11 pm

This recipe sounds so good. Especially that sauce!

Bulghur Lentil Pilaf with Tahini-Herb Sauce « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    February 24, 2010 at 8:10 pm

[…] from: Bulghur Lentil Pilaf with Tahini-Herb Sauce « Food-Fitness-FreshAir Categories: Food and Drink Tags: bring-out, creamy, dont-get, food-network, moderately-mild, […]

February 28, 2010 at 9:38 am

Agh this recipe looks so good! I love lentils and I LOVE tahini. Tahini may be my favorite spreadable butter.. I don’t know.. its a toughie. 🙂

Laura L.Ac
    March 11, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Cool picture. And love your whole-wheat kick. I’m on one myself!

Rice Salad with Marinated Tempeh « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    November 27, 2011 at 9:52 am

[…] zone and try something different. One of my new favorites are butter beans. Or you could try lentils, adzuki beans, even edamame. Not feeling the beans? Then go for tofu, seitan, or tempeh, like I […]