Buckwheat Groats

Buckwheat isn’t actually a grain.  Instead, buckwheat comes from a fruit seed that is related to rhubarb and sorrel.  However, I wanted to include it in my series of posts highlighting my favorite whole grains because its taste and texture very much resemble that of a typical whole grain.  Buckwheat can easily act as a substitute for most whole grains.

I love buckwheat because of its intensely nutty flavor.  While I’ve mentioned a slightly nutty taste to describe the flavor of the previous grains I have featured, buckwheat contains a distinct, almost roasted nutty flavor.  Buckwheat wouldn’t be considered a mild flavored grain.  Because of its relatively strong flavor, I actually prefer to eat it plain with just a light drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.  (However, this may be the purest shining through in me, since I tend to like things simple).

Like the majority of whole grains, buckwheat contains not only star quality taste, but some added health benefits as well.  Studies have shown that buckwheat can lower blood pressure and cholesterol.  Just one cup contains 5 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein.  Buckwheat also has substantial amounts of an array of minerals, which include magnesium, copper, manganese, and phosphorus.  What’s particularly special about buckwheat is that it provides a tasty, gluten-free alternative for those who have been diagnosed with celiac disease or have sensitivities to gluten.

Buckwheat is super easy to make, and doesn’t take all that much time to cook.  Simply combine one part buckwheat (rinsed) with two parts water in a saucepan.  Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.  Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed.  Top with whatever seasonings are desired.  As mentioned before, just a little olive oil, and S&P can go a long way.  Buckwheat makes a great side dish and is suitable for a delicious breakfast cereal as well.  It’s also a great bulking agent to add to soups and stews.

Store buckwheat kernels in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.  If stored properly, buckwheat can keep for up to a year.

February 25, 2010 at 10:26 am

Great post! I’ve never eaten the groats, but I’ve had buckwheat pancakes which are pretty awesome.

February 25, 2010 at 11:49 am

I did not know all of that about buckwheat. I have some here that needs to be prepared sometime soon. Thanks for the info.

Chrysta
    February 25, 2010 at 4:55 pm

great post! I absolutely love groats! I eat them for breakfast sometimes. They are sssooo fillling! Thanks for all the awesome info. I think this is a grain that is so under rated. So glad to get some nice info out about them!! Have a fabulous day!

February 25, 2010 at 10:17 pm

I have never made buckwheat. I’ll have to change that! 🙂 Thanks for the info!

marla {Family Fresh Cooking}
    February 26, 2010 at 1:08 am

I love buckwheat, yes the flavor is so distinctive. Simple additions are nice so you don’t over power the flavor.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)
    February 26, 2010 at 3:55 am

i have never tried oat or buckwheat groats b/c they are not readily available except at food coops or WFs of which i dont have easy access to…but i would love to give them a whirl!

February 26, 2010 at 8:02 am

I never even knew buckwheat was NOT a grain!! Yikes. Ok, do you know if it has any of the healthy phytonutrients, like polyphenols or ligans, like other whole grains? I think I would sitll consider buckwheat a whole grain if I ate it….what do you think? The RD is asking a question about whole grain, haha, I’m fine with it. I really don’t know much about other whole grains (or whole grain wannabes), and I LOVE learning!

Kenzie (Healthy Purpose)
    February 26, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I have a HUGE bulk bag of buckwheat that I’ve been meaning to use. I just got a little intimated when I bought it last time and realized I was trying to sprout pre-roasted buckwheat. This inspires me to try again 🙂

Jenna @ Healthy. Happy. Well.
    February 26, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Groats! Never heard of them! I’ll have to give them a try. You really do learn something new everyday!

February 26, 2010 at 7:52 pm

DARN IT! I was just at Whole Foods today and I ALMOST got some groats from the bulk bins. Had I known they keep for up to a year, I totally would’ve! Next time!

Have a great weekend hun!

Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods Given as A Gift « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    March 13, 2010 at 6:37 am

[…] Red Mill is able to provide me with everything from popcorn, to organic flaxseeds, to those nutty buckwheat groats I blogged about last week.  The company also has a whole line of gluten-free products for those […]