Millet

This is one grain that took me a little time to get used to.  It has a distinct slightly sweet, nutty taste (although not the nutty flavor of buckwheat), and tends to have a consistency on the drier side.  However, millet has increasingly grown on me, as I have experimented and found different ways in keeping it moist.  In my opinion, the key to tasty millet is moist millet.

Millet is a small, globular grain that has been consumed in Africa, China, and India for thousands of years.  The ancient grain dates as far back as the Bible, as it is briefly mentioned as an ingredient in making bread.  Presently covering nearly 100 million acres within Africa and India, millet is a staple grain that sustains 1/3 of the world’s population.

However, within North America, it seems as though millet is most prevalently found in bird seed.  But, millet certainly proves more than worthy for human consumption.  One cup cooked contains six grams of protein, two grams of fiber, and only 200 calories.  Millet is also a rich source of trace minerals such as manganese, magnesium, and phosphorus.

To prepare millet, rinse thoroughly, and then add one part millet with 3 1/4 parts water.  Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer and cook for approximately 40 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed.  Make sure to keep the lid on the whole time after the mixture is brought to a boil.  This will help to keep the millet from getting dry.  It’s also important to keep a lid on the pan after finished cooking when not being served to help keep all the moisture sealed in.

For lunch/dinner, I enjoy millet lightly seasoned with soy sauce, using it as a replacement for the typical rice/potato side dish.  If I have leftovers, I almost always utilize it for breakfast.  Adding milk helps to re-moisten the millet that often becomes dry and coagulated over night, and adding raisins, cranberries, or any other dried fruit compliments the nuttiness of the grain (similar to the quinoa recipe I previously posted).

However my favorite way to eat millet….will be revealed in my next post.  Stay tuned for the recipe that has made me absolutely fall in love with millet!

February 27, 2010 at 7:27 am

I’ve never had this – good to know! Thanks!

February 27, 2010 at 8:59 am

I know I had millet in grain mixes, etc., but I have never made it by itself. Great info. Thanks! I’m looking forward to the recipe! 🙂

Have a great weekend!

February 27, 2010 at 9:37 am

I can’t believe I’ve never tried this stuff either. Thanks for all these posts. After my discovery that I don’t get enough grains in my diet, I will need to start trying these whole grains out! Right now I’m stuck on oats and quinoa. Come on Gina, branch out a bit!

marla {Family Fresh Cooking}
    February 27, 2010 at 10:33 am

Can’t wait to read more about about Millet, I have never had it. I know it is an awesome whole grain choice. Can’t wait to see your recipe.

kbwood
    February 27, 2010 at 10:55 am

thank YOU for your sweet comments girl!!!
    im loving learning more about grains-i need to find some and try them!

February 27, 2010 at 10:59 am

I can’t remember the last time I had millet, but I have had it before. Again, thanks for getting people acquainted with the many many good grains out there.

Pamela
    February 27, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I have been buying millet for years for my parrots…but I will pick up a bag at whole foods and give it a try. This is the best newsletter/blog. Love it!

February 27, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Thank you for always opening my eyes to new things…I have never heard of millet before.

February 28, 2010 at 9:39 am

Oooh I never really knew too much about millet either. The cereal with the dried fruit sounds really really good. Looking forward to your recipe! They always look so tasty!

February 28, 2010 at 3:18 pm

No kidding…bird seed? I shouldn’t find that so shocking…I do see QUITE the resemblance in appearance. I love the nuttier, dryer grains — I should get on some millet!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)
    February 28, 2010 at 11:52 pm

thanks for the millet info, i admit i dont use it much but need to b/c it’s GF and so good for you!

yes, pine nuts, dates, vanilla = raw vegan carmels, enjoy them!!!

Rice Salad with Marinated Tempeh « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    November 27, 2011 at 9:52 am

[…] brown rice (as used in this recipe), so then go for quinoa. Or bulgur wheat. Or maybe you even try millet. The list could go on, so even though the 3-part formula essentially stays the same, don’t […]

Multigrain “Scones” | Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    March 22, 2013 at 4:13 pm

[…] cake-like inside. What makes them so special is the delicate crunch they contain, given from the millet—A grain special in itself, full of fiber and trace minerals. The cookies also have both hints of […]