Millet Cauliflower Mash

This recipe provides instructions to create the tastiest fat-free mashed “potatoes” you’ll ever eat.  That’s right.  Tasty AND fat-free AND mashed potatoes all in one sentence.  While there aren’t actually any potatoes in this recipe, you wouldn’t be able to tell from the looks and consistency of the end product.  Cauliflower and millet come together for an irresistibly creamy side dish, without the need of virtually any fat.  That means no butter, no cream, no milk, no anything that’s in traditional mashed potatoes except for a little salt and water to cook the ingredients.  The taste is just a tad sweeter from your typical mashed potatoes, but delicious nonetheless.  If you weren’t too sure about millet before, try this recipe and allow yourself to uncover the creamy potential of the nutritious whole grain.

Millet Cauliflower Mash

-1 medium onion, chopped
-1 cup millet, uncooked
-4 cups cauliflower
-1/2 tsp. salt
-3 1/4 cups water

In a large saucepan, heat 1/4 cup water.  Add onions and saute for approx. 5 minutes, or until almost translucent.  Add remaining 3 cups of water and salt and bring to boil.  Add millet and cauliflower, and return to a boil.  Cover, and then reduce heat to a simmer.  Cook for 35-40 minutes, or until all water is absorbed.

Transfer to a food processor (can substitute with a blender if needed), and process until smooth and creamy.  Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper if desired.

For a traditional mashed potato-like flavor, stick to the original recipe above.  However, there are tons of tasty variations for those who are looking for something a little different.  Experiment with any of the following for a unique, tasty, AND healthy side dish.

Suggested variations (add during food processing step):

• Add 1 tsp. prepared horseradish
  • Add 2 tsp. caraway seeds
  • Add 1 Tbsp. of basil, dill, or oregano
  • Smother with a mushroom gravy

March 1, 2010 at 8:19 am

Yep, this i going to have to be something I do someday, make a “potato” dish with cauliflower! The only problem? It gives me gas. BAD gas. Cauliflower is like my worst enemy, yet my best friend (I love how it tastes). Thanks for the recipe! I love short recipes with few ingredients 🙂

Naomi (onefitfoodie)
    March 1, 2010 at 8:54 am

this looks delicious!! I have never tried to cook with millet btu I think I will be up to the challenge 🙂

March 1, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I love smashed cauliflower!!!! This sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe! 🙂

Have a great week!

March 1, 2010 at 9:20 pm

What a great idea. I never would have thought to add millet to the mashed cauliflower, but it certainly gives it a boost in terms of fiber. Thanks for sharing.

March 2, 2010 at 11:11 am

I’ve made mashed cauliflower before and love it. I’ve never tried it with a grain mixed in. So creative! I think my husband will even eat this—though his favorite food is mashed potatoes so we’ll see if he accepts the substitute. Maybe I won’t tell him…

Corinne Dobbas
    March 2, 2010 at 11:26 am

AWESOME! Thanks for this! I’ve tried many “cauliflower mash” recipes, but with a grain!?! … Love the extra fiber n’ grain boost!

eatingRD
    March 2, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Yum!!! I’ve been wanting to try the mashed cauliflower for potatoes and such a great idea to add millet!

March 2, 2010 at 6:24 pm

yuuums that looks great! I would love to give this recipe a try…mashed potatoes is such a comfort food, this would be a great alternative

March 2, 2010 at 11:27 pm

What a great spin on mashed potatoes! I’ve been meaning to do a 50/50 potato and cauliflower mash for quite sometime, but this sounds like an even better adaption!!

Laura
    March 3, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Can’t wait to try this. I’ve used mashed cauliflower on top of shepherd’s pie. It’s a great substitute, but this sounds even better!! Thanks!

March 4, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Wow I looove this recipe. I’m a little hesitant though, with NO fat at all, it doesn’t taste like baby food to you? I’m curious now with the millet, because the times I’ve tried making pureed veg soups with little to no fat or filler, always taste like baby food. Beautiful picture though! I think this would be interesting with cumin flavors. Yum.

🙂

Millet, JPIX, KCC and Upcoming » Here in HP, Highland Park, New Jersey blog
    June 8, 2010 at 11:44 am

[…] Millet Cauliflower Mash […]

Roast chicken w/cauliflower mash & roast pear salad « Hoobears's Blog
    January 8, 2011 at 3:11 pm

[…] for the cauliflower & millet mash, I found this recipe online; not as good as mashed potatoes but not bad. I would probably rather eat roasted cauliflower but at […]

Multigrain “Scones” « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    March 13, 2011 at 6:13 am

[…] What makes them so special is the delicate crunch they contain, given from the millet—A grain special in itself, full of fiber and trace minerals. The cookies also have both hints of lemon and sugar, […]