Heart Attack Themed Restaurants Battle It Out

Photo obtained from http://outhouserag.typepad.com

A restaurant in Chandler, Arizona is suing a restaurant in Delray Beach, Florida, claiming that the Florida food joint stole the theme of their restaurant.  The lawyer for the Arizona restaurant has supposedly found 30 similarities between the two restaurants.  While this sounds a little crazy in itself, the specific idea that they are battling over is even more absurd.  Arizona’s “Heart Attack Grill” purports that the owners of Florida’s “Heart Stoppers Sports Grill” stole the idea of a theme based around a menu of heart attack-inducing fare.

Does anyone else think that maybe the restaurants should be going to court for creating this idea in the first place?  Do we really need a restaurant advocating fatty, cholesterol raising foods when our nation is already overwhelmingly struggling with an obesity crisis?

I’m pretty sure that the over 13,000 McDonald’s within America provide our country with more than enough hamburgers.  Considering a McDonald’s Big Mac has 485 and 21 grams of fat, I can only imagine the numbers for Heart Stoppers’ 3 Pound Killer.  At least McDonald’s burgers are cheap, so they wouldn’t really add much to the hospital bill if they did trigger a heart attack.  The 3 Pound Killer on the other hand will cost you $21.99 upfront, and then maybe your life after consumption.

The Heart Attack Grill’s menu features the Single, Double, Triple, and Quadruple Bypass Burger, all of which are trademarked names, so don’t even think about stealing them if you plan on opening a heart attack-themed restaurant…because we’re all dying to open one of those, right?

Alongside a flashing red heart, the Heart Attack Grill’s website announces that those “350 pounds and over eat for free” as if you should win a prize for becoming obese.  In that case, maybe Michelle Obama should just scratch this whole Let’s Move initiative.

Just listen to the beginning of the description of the Heart Stoppers’ Insane Fries:  “Prepared by our blind surgeon this artery clogger will have you calling your Doctor for an appointment.”  Oh they should’ve known I’m a sucker for appetizers that require a visit to my doctor afterward.

Among the “Heart Attack Jack”-like sandwiches filled with a pound or more of meat, among the buns filled with three ho tdogs, among the fried twinkies and fried candy bars, at least the Heart Stoppers’ can say they have a “Go Lightly” section on their menu.  This is not one of the 30 similarities that can be found between the two restaurants.  While the names in this section might not be as catchy (veggie burger, veggie wrap, veggie sub, and salad), they may at least save you from a heart attack.  But don’t worry, the freezer burn and mold that’s probably growing on these offerings will still allow you to make that oh-so-wanted appointment with your doctor.

Two restaurants battling it out over one terrible idea…I couldn’t think of anything worse, other than actually eating at one of these joints and possibly landing in the hospital.

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad
    March 9, 2010 at 7:25 am

I saw a segment on this restaurant a couple months ago. It grossed me out! I don’t think you could drag me there. But if others are so in denial that they want to eat that entire burger, I say let them go. It’s obvious that this is not a health food restaurant. Anyone that wants to eat here obviously has no intentions of treating their body to nutritious food.

March 9, 2010 at 7:42 am

All I can say is OMG! And boy am I glad I am living overseas. Just the thought alone is giving me a heart attack. That is a dietitians worst nightmare.

March 9, 2010 at 8:10 am

wow! crazy and scary stuff out there!

March 9, 2010 at 8:56 am

Yuck. But, come to think of it, maybe other restaurants should take a page out of their book. Maybe there should be a disclaimer next to the fettuccine Alfredo at Olive Garden: Eating this whole plate will clog your arteries so good we’ll send you straight to the cardiologist. I think most restaurant food would require that warning. At least these guys are being honest!

Kady @ Livin, Lovin, Learnin
    March 9, 2010 at 9:21 am

I’m appalled! Wow! I believe in moderation, so I think if someone who normally ate a healthy diet ate here – say maybe once a year – it wouldn’t be a big deal…but I highly doubt the people who frequent this place are normally healthy eaters (or eat here in moderation). But I definitely agree with Tracey (comment above me) – at least they’re being honest about being unhealthy! So many other restaurants (and food companies for that matter) will deceptively try to pass anything off as healthy.

londonmom1
    March 9, 2010 at 10:12 am

that’s tragic on so many levels

Heart Attack Themed Restaurants Battle It Out « Food-Fitness-FreshAir | Drakz Free Online Service
    March 9, 2010 at 11:46 am

[…] the original post: Heart Attack Themed Restaurants Battle It Out « Food-Fitness-FreshAir Share and […]

March 9, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Barf. Sadly, the “Go Lightly” options probably do have freezer burn and/or mold! I’ve seen some of those on that Man vs. Food show. Which I cringe every time I watch. So disgusting.

March 9, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Pretty unbelievable… It’s sad to think that these insane advertising tactics are obviously working…

Ftiness4Looks
    March 10, 2010 at 10:19 am

This is crazy, do people really eat that? There isn’t anything about that burger that is “healthy” or “good”. The Heart Attack Themed Restaurant – fits that burger perfectly. Groosssssss

marla {Family Fresh Cooking}
    March 10, 2010 at 12:11 pm

OMG!!!! This is so pathetic. Thank you so much for bringing our attention to this disaster. I feel guilty enough with my gum chewing habit! I couldn’t imagine stepping into one of these places. Soooooo not funny. It only encourages hideous behavior.

Francesco Tonelli
    March 11, 2010 at 6:12 am

How sad. When will we finally realize that we need better quality food and smaller portions?
    Our food system and culture is truly scary.

papia
    March 12, 2010 at 12:44 am

Hey there,

We have been reading the articles on your website http://foodfitnessfreshair.wordpress.com/
    and are very impressed with the quality of your information.

We have a team of copywriters who specialize in writing articles on various topics and would like to write an original article for you to use on your website – this article will not be used anywhere else on the Internet.

In exchange all we ask is that we can have one or two links within the body of the article back to one of our sites. You can view a sample of the quality of our articles at http://www.australianweighttraining.com.au/_blog/Articles If you are interested in having us write an article for your website please just let me know and we would be more than happy to have one written for you within two weeks.

Kind regards,
    Papia

Teniah
    March 12, 2010 at 1:43 pm

This makes me incredibly sick to even think about….what is our world coming to? Seriously…..is there no respect for human life anymore? I totally agree that these folks should be ashamed of ever even coming up with the idea in the first place!! Appalling….

March 12, 2010 at 7:49 pm

total total crap. i just banged out an essay for my writing midterm about one way americans eat and the bad things about it. i just talked about fast food in general, and eating in a rush, and constantly being on the go and not taking time to cook, OR eat our food for that matter. aahh grace, i know i have been absent in reading blogs, but let me just reiterate how much we would have to talk about if we met!

it saddens me the lack of knowledge more than anything about nutrition and cooking in general. 🙁 and yeah, the fact that this is even being fought over in court is mind boggling and ridiculous. aghh! great post though!