Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods Given as A Gift

I’m already a faithful fan of Bob’s Red Mill because of the company’s dedication in producing healthful whole grain, bean, and seed products.  Bob’s Red Mill is able to provide me with everything from popcorn, to organic flaxseeds, to those nutty buckwheat groats I blogged about last week.  The company also has a whole line of gluten-free products for those who are gluten-sensitive.

In addition to the remarkable products the Bob’s Red Mill produces, I honor its intentions.  Quoted from the company’s website,  “We are dedicated to producing natural foods in the natural way.”  I think so many companies, even those touted as organic, have strayed away from this concept.  As much eye-candy as the grocery store holds, it’s gotten to the point where the majority of the products in the typical supermarket are as far from natural and from “real food” as can be.  This is frustrating because when I go to the store seeking Earth’s natural, beautiful gifts, I often have to sift through tons and tons of highly processed, unpronounceable ingredient-filled “foods”.  Because of this, I am grateful that I am able to trust Bob’s Red Mill.  I know that their “whole wheat” products will really be whole wheat without having to turn to the ingredient label and disappointedly find enriched flour listed as the first ingredient.

However, recently Bob’s Red Mill has announced yet another reason why this company holds me as a fan.  Just last month, Bob Moore, the founder of the company, turned 81 years old!  This is impressive as it is, considering the man is still fully functioning and looks astoundingly great.  (Must be all those whole grains and chia seeds he’s eating.)  But what’s even more impressive is the fact that on his birthday, he was the one to actually give one of the biggest gifts of all:  Bob has given his entire company, currently consisting of 400 different products, away to his employees.

Under the Employee Stock Ownership Plan, Bob unveiled that the ownership of his company would now fall to the hands of his 209 employees.

Bob had numerous lucrative offers that would have allowed him to sell his company for quite a bit of money but he chose to refuse them all.

“In some ways I had a choice,” Bob said, referring to what he could have done with the company he and his wife started 32 years ago. “But in my heart, I didn’t. These people are far too good at their jobs for me to just sell it.”

It was estimated by one source that in the year 2004 the company made over $24 million.

All of the employees are now part of an ESOP, an employee stock ownership plan.  This means that the company supplies the plan with its stock, which can now never be bought or held directly.  The employees cash out when they decide to retire/quit.

This has obviously made all of the employees stationed in the plant in Miluakee, Oregon ecstatic.

As quoted in the Oregonian:  “It just shows how much faith and trust Bob has in us,” said Bo Thomas, the company’s maintenance superintendent, who has put his four children through college during his two decades there. “For all of us, it’s more than just a job. Obviously, it’s the same way for Bob, too.”

Bob has created a world of smiles throughout his past 32 years at the company, making my tummy and numerous others’ happy and healthy.  And while he ends his ownership by filling his own employees bodies and minds with joy, he tells the Oregonian:  “I may have given them the company,” he said, chuckling, “but the boss part is still mine.”

March 13, 2010 at 6:51 am

I do like their products!

March 13, 2010 at 8:24 am

I like the products, and it sounds like that there is much to like about the company!

Happy Weekend! 🙂

Amanda @ foxyburd
    March 13, 2010 at 9:07 am

That is a truly inspiring story, Bob must be oozing good karma. I love his products, at first finding them expensive, but it didn’t take me long to realise just how good quality they are – my current fav. is the dark rye flour. Prob is I keep making bread and eating it !!!

March 13, 2010 at 9:11 am

That is so cool. Must be a great company to work for.

Sarah
    March 13, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Bob is the Man!!

I love the Gluten Free Oats. Makes mornings that much better

meatlessmama
    March 13, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Love their products, nice to know more about the owner and company.

marla {Family Fresh Cooking}
    March 14, 2010 at 10:15 am

I had read a tid bit on Bob’s recent gift, but now I am happy to have read the whole story. I too am a huge fan of Bob’s Red Mill. It is awesome to learn that the man behind such a wonderful line of foods is genuine, sincere and loving. I am so thrilled for his employees!! What a gift.
    I couldn’t agree with you more about cutting through the clutter in the grocery store. Thank goodness products like Bob’s are available to us. Great post 🙂

March 14, 2010 at 11:05 am

WOW what a great thing to do for his employees!

Pam
    March 14, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I love Bob’s products…..there the best!

March 14, 2010 at 6:11 pm

I love Bob’s stuff, too. It’s so true that a lot of the organic stuff at the grocery store strayed from the idea of organics. Even Kashi, as much as I love their stuff, is owned by Kellogg’s. So many of the organic or natural products are owned by the same people who make the nonorganic versions. I like the Bob’s Red Mill didn’t give in to that.

MJ
    March 14, 2010 at 9:02 pm

I’ve always been a fan of Bob’s Red Mill- and now even more so! Thanks for sharing this story!

Holiday Almond Balls « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    December 24, 2010 at 5:52 am

[…] -1 cup finely ground almonds (grind your own into a fine powder, or use pre-made almond meal—Bob’s Red Mill is a brand that produces it) -1 tsp. […]