Classic Green Smoothie Recipe

I have in various ways mentioned green smoothies in numerous of my previous posts, but I wanted to dedicate an entire entry to this powerhouse breakfast I frequently gulp down.  Green smoothies are the emblem of the ultimate healthy breakfast.  They are loaded with nutrients.  Packed with fiber, vitamins, minerals, and energy, a glass of green smoothie will leave your body feeling lean, green, and just like an eco-power-filled machine.  Green smoothies are perfect for consumption at anytime:  Before the gym, after the gym, after a night of too much indulgence, as part of a breakfast for a healthy appetite, as a snack, on the go, not on the go, while reading a book…okay you get the point.

The following recipe is my standard green smoothie creation.  I also experiment with numerous other fruit and green combinations, but this recipe is almost always at the base of the concoction I whip up.  The flavors of these three basic ingredients seem to blend perfectly together.  I typically try to use organic ingredients since everything going into the blender is raw, but even so, make sure to wash the produce well before using.  Feel free to add a protein to make it a more complete breakfast/meal (such as yogurt, protein powder, flax, ground nuts, etc.).  Also, don’t be shy about including any ripe or in season fruit you have on hand!

Grace’s Green Smoothie Recipe

-3 medium collard greens leaves, hand-torn into smaller pieces (about 2 cups, chopped)*
-6-7 strawberries, frozen
-1/2 apple, chopped (preferably a sweeter variety)
-Cold water, 6-8 ounces

*Feel free to substitute kale or spinach for the kale.  Spinach will create a milder flavor.

Place apple, then strawberries into a blender.  Add torn greens on top.  Pour water over the ingredients.  Blend until smooth, pulsing to help move around any “stuck” ingredients.  You may need to stop the blender one or two times and use a long spoon to push the ingredients further down towards the blade.  Pour into a tall glass.

Other optional add-ins:  1/2 banana, a handful of frozen cherries or blueberries, 2 circles of roasted butternut squash, mint, nuts, ground flax, yogurt, orange juice, green tea, vanilla, honey

March 15, 2010 at 7:13 am

I have yet to make one of this so a recipe is great -thanks!

Amanda Thebe @ foxyburd
    March 15, 2010 at 8:06 am

Often wondered about using Kale, but always default to Spinach because I think it may be too ‘stringy’ or coarse. How is the texture of this drink?
    When I am feeling a little flat and lacking energy, I usually dump a spoonful of Greens + in my smoothie. Now that Spring has arrived, I might consider planting some greens in the garden!

March 15, 2010 at 9:00 am

I’ve never made a green smoothie, but I’ve had all intentions of doing it. They sound so refreshing. I also have only heard of making it with spinach. But great idea with the kale!

Heather
    March 15, 2010 at 9:31 am

I’ve been making my green smoothies with oat or rice milk, 1 banana and 1 cup of spinach – I need to try some of your suggestions though.

I love green drinks!

March 15, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Thanks for the recipe. I often have trouble drinking them because of the texture. I also have that problem with added powders to drinks.

KRISTEN'S RAW
    March 15, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Mmmmm I LOVE green smoothies 🙂

Off to make one now!

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition
    March 15, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Got to love green smoothies!

March 15, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I love Green Monster and now that the weather is getting warmer, I can enjoy them EVEN more!

kathleen
    March 15, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Ooooh, I saw your link (now bookmarked) at Bitten, and that smoothie sounds wonderful! However, and this is a big one, does one really get as much nutrition from a drink, compared to if one had eaten the veggies and fruits juiced up to make it? When I had a juicer I was appalled at the quantity of pulp (tasteless) that I would have eaten if I’d chosen whole fruits and veggies. Or, is it that one consumes more if it’s just in drink form?

When I buy smoothies I have to tell the barista to make it tart, not sweet! So many Americans have the sweet tooth.

Food-Fitness-FreshAir
      March 15, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Glad you found my site. Smoothies allow you to get the full nutrition and fiber. Juice on the other hand eliminates the fiber. And I agree, most smoothies made in America have loads of sugar added, and often syrups and other artificial ingredients.

kathleen
        March 17, 2010 at 11:18 pm

Thank you! I guess I’ll try for a smoothie. Funny, though, some days a tangerine juice and yogurt just seems right!

Fitness Contrarian
    March 15, 2010 at 7:15 pm

I juice greens every day. Your smoothie looks great . I’m going to try it tomorow with a scoop of protein powder after my workout.

Best – Mike

March 15, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Yumm! I love the apple addition! I generally add berries to mine, too 🙂

March 16, 2010 at 1:33 am

I love the color of green smoothies and green juice! I’ll have to make some again! 🙂 And thanks for your recipe!

March 16, 2010 at 7:22 am

I LOVE that you used collard/kale. I honestly have thought to myself, “I wonder if this would work with kale”… And apparently it does!! I make a green monster with spinach and frozen blueberries everyday after I workout. I even make one for Nick sometimes! He likes them. I need to try it with kale sometime because I really love kale, even more than spinach. AND they have similar nutritional profiles. Thanks for the recipe!

Jenna @ Healthy. Happy. Well.
    March 16, 2010 at 9:24 am

I’m always game for new green smoothie recipe! Now I just need to get a new blender that actually blends…

Kristine
    March 16, 2010 at 2:51 pm

What about adding protein? Powder, tofu? Any other ideas?

Teniah
    March 17, 2010 at 2:02 am

Love this blog…I am a HUGE green smoothie fan. I also add barley grass and spirulina to mine.

iwentwest
    March 17, 2010 at 9:54 am

haha ive been doing this lately, too!

my favorite mix:
    chocolate soymilk
    1/2 banana
    tsp of PB
    lots and lots of chopped kale
    (+ whatever other fruit i may have on hand)

i realize this might actually be more of a chocolate pb banana smoothie, but it’s delicious with the kale. ive also been experimenting with other veggies – ie swiss chard. ive heard great things about parsley, too!

iwentwest
    March 17, 2010 at 9:56 am

i just reread and saw you mentioned adding butternut squash… how does it taste???

Oraphan
    March 23, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Your green smoothie looks wonderful! I’ve never tried strawberries and apple in my green smoothie before. It sounds like a great combo!

Susan Shields
    May 7, 2010 at 3:17 pm

I’ve been making green smoothies w/ collard greens and pineapple, apple, yogurt for at least 15 years. It’s my Aunt Eleanor’s recipe and it’s fabulous! Really starts the day out right.

Kale Salad « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    March 2, 2011 at 9:35 am

[…] eaten kale countless ways, innumerable times, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All that rabbit chomping has led me to love the leafy green too. (And thank the […]

Kale Bean Soup « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    May 10, 2011 at 5:55 am

[…] but sometimes all that chewing it requires makes me put off using it. (That probably explains the green smoothie obsession I had at one time.)  To avoid that jaw-aching task, I put my beloved food processor to […]

Sauteed Collard Greens with Red Wine Raisin Sauce « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    July 12, 2011 at 9:24 am

[…] can’t use laziness as an excuse not to eat the leafy veggies when lunch or dinner (or even breakfast) rolls around.  Next comes the cooking creativity part of the equation.  To keep the greens […]

Fruit Smoothie Recipe « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    July 19, 2011 at 9:18 pm

[…] smoothies are my favorite.  I’ve gone through my daily green smoothie phases, but really it’s the simple fruit combinations that I crave.  Especially in the […]

Smoked Salmon Kale Carbonara « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    August 27, 2012 at 6:08 am

[…] been replacing potatoes in the form of chips, it’s been added to the menu of nearly every smoothie place I ever frequent, heck, many are even claiming kale is the new bacon, as our society steadily […]