How to Naturally Cope with Spring Allergies

With springtime comes the arrival of some of my favorite pleasures: pleasant warm weather, aromatic pretty flowers, and fresh green grass.  But for many, springtime also means runny noses, watery eyes, and constant sneezing.

However, allergy season doesn’t necessarily mean you should immediately grab the keys and drive to the drugstore.  Instead, check out these options that aim to lessen allergy symptoms in a more natural way before you go and drug yourself up.

• Neti pot away the snot:  Neti pots gently irrigate the sinuses, using a simple combination of salt and water, creating a light saline solution.  The solution works to clear out the sinuses of any pollutant, dust, pollen, bacteria or mold particles.  To learn more about the purposes of neti pots and how to use them, check out an in depth past post I’ve written on the topic on my old blog.
  • Shower after sunset: If you’re a morning showerer, consider switching your shower to the evening.  Take a shower when you get home from work/school/your daily activities to rid yourself of any pollen residue lying on your skin and hair.  This will allow you to hit the sack at night on a pollen free pillow.
  • Doctor your diet: Avoid common allergents, such as wheat, dairy, and nuts, that are harder for the body to digest.  These foods tend to send the body into attack mode, weakening the immune system and its ability to fight off seasonal allergens.  Also, consider adding ginger into your diet, a food that’s said to reduce inflammation.  Check out one of my favorite afternoon treats, ginger chews.

April 2, 2010 at 9:10 am

Wow, awesome info! My husband suffers from really bad allergies and is a morning shower-er. I’ll have to pass this along! Thanks, girl! Have a great weekend 🙂

Can You Stay for Dinner
    April 2, 2010 at 9:39 am

Excellent information! I am lucky in that I don’t suffer from allergies but so many of my family members do and they could use some relief!

April 2, 2010 at 10:01 am

Perfect timing for this post. I have a bit of allergies plus cold, but it still applies to me. I never had allergies until I moved to the DC area. Man, my face is on the verge of exploding.

April 2, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Fabulous post! I suffer from allergies and I am always looking for tips.

marla {Family Fresh Cooking}
    April 2, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I love these photos! That blue sky with the flowers is gorgeous…looks great in your banner. I don’t usually get bothered in Spring with allergies…..hopefully saying that won’t bring them on 🙂

Andy
    April 3, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I also wanted to mention there is a flavonoid supplement called quercetin that has anti histamine effects on the body. I took it last year, and it completely eliminated my symptoms. Granted, I only have mild to moderate seasonal allergies, so it might not work for severe cases. I just got mine in the mail yesterday, my eyes don’t burn today after just 2 doses!

Nico
    April 6, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Thanks Grace and Andy. Tis the season.The yogic breathing, neti pot, and night showering all help a good bit but if this quercetin doesn’t have any contraindications or side effects, it might get me through the worst of it… which can be quite awful in the coming months. Will research. Hey Grace, I’m at work killing time just looking at some of your past posts… when you comment on NYTimes I’m reminded of your wonderful website. I’m a big fan. Wish I’d done such a thing when I was a college student or grad student. God knows I had the time. All the best from NYC. Happy Spring!