Deviled Eggs

One of my favorite things about Easter is that it’s the only time of the year I usually get to enjoy deviled eggs.  When I was little, my grandma would always be the one to bring the plate full of deviled eggs to the family dinner.  I remember always loathing deviled eggs, except for my Grandma’s.  I still dislike most people’s deviled eggs. I usually find other recipes too sugary or too tangy or to pickly.  But my Grandma’s were always just right– creamy with just the right touch of sweet, salty richness.  As my Grandma got older, she passed her original irresistible recipe down to my mom, who a few years ago passed it down to me.  Now my mom and I take turns making the deviled eggs for Easter dinner, and it’s a recipe I still always look forward to eating.

Grandma’s Deviled Eggs

-6 eggs, hard boiled
-4 Tbsp. light mayo.
-1 tsp. yellow onion, minced
-1/4 tsp. prepared mustard
-1 tsp. sweet relish-1/8 tsp. salt
-Pepper, dash
-Paprika

Cut hard boiled eggs in half longwise.  Remove yolks and place in a small bowl.  Mash yolks thoroughly.  Add remaining ingredients, excluding the paprika, and continue to mash and stir until well-combined.  Use a tablespoon to transfer yolk into the the twelve egg-white halves, dividing the yolk evenly between the eggs.  Lightly sprinkle paprika on top of prepared eggs.

Note:  You may wish to hard boil an extra egg and use the additional yolk to increase the amount of filling.  Discard half of it’s white, and use the remaining half to sample your results.

Kelly
    April 4, 2010 at 11:05 pm

hi! I am new to your blog but just wanted to say we made deviled eggs today and I ate about 6 or 7 lol. I loveee them! and we dont make them often so i tend to over-indulge.

anyhow, happy easter!

April 5, 2010 at 6:52 am

Mmm, I love deviled eggs too. I’m pretty sure they are spelled with one “l”, right? I actually made some yesterday! We decided to make them healthier by using Greek yogurt instead of mayo. They turned out….ok. They needed more salt may, and perhaps some sugar? I don’t know, something was off, but heck they were still great!

I hope you had a nice Easter.

April 5, 2010 at 8:43 am

I made deviled eggs, too. Unfortunately, I can’t eat them anymore, but everyone enjoyed them… 🙂

April 5, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Love deviled eggs! Relish and paprika are the key ingredients!! Mmm mmm! Love your recipe 🙂 The picture is beautiful, too!

Heather
    April 5, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I love deviled eggs – my husband and I were commenting today how we didn’t have any at easter!

My cousin also puts sweet relish in his – loved it! I need to make them soon – my husband loves them!

April 5, 2010 at 11:35 pm

This is a classic, and a good classic too! They look great.

Yum Yucky
    April 7, 2010 at 3:26 pm

ya nkow, I’m always too lazy to put the onion in it, but I bet it’d be extra good. and wait! never did relish in it either. I better try this!