Rhubarb Crisp

The CSA where I currently work sent me off with some beautiful, fresh, straight-from-the-garden rhubarb the other day.  In my family’s garden where I’ve worked every summer since I was a kid, we grow pretty much every kind of vegetable you could ever think of, that is, except rhubarb.  So with no previous experience handling rhubarb, I wasn’t quite sure what to do with the foreign food that had been laid in my hands.  However, I did happen to know a few things about it:  1)  Rhubarb is technically a vegetable that is most often paired with fruit in the culinary world.  2) Its leaves are poisonous.  3)  It’s really sour on its own.  4)  It’s often combined with strawberries, presumably because they both arrive in season around the same time each year.  5)  It’s typically used in baking, such as pies, crisps, muffins, crumbles, etc.  6)  Enough people enjoy it to keep it around at the farmer’s markets…So I knew it was certainly worth using, and after combining the little that I did know about rhubarb, I decided on making a crisp that would include a pint of strawberries I had just picked up at a local Amish farm on my way home from work.

The result of the crisp:  DELICIOUS.  I will definitely be utilizing rhubarb again.  I can see why it’s so often used in baking.  It’s tart taste paired with the sweetness of a little sugar is absolutely perfect.  Warm rhubarb crisp with a little bit of vanilla ice cream…spring couldn’t get much more delightful.

Rhubarb Crisp

Topping
-1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
-1/3 cup oats
-3/4 cup brown sugar
-1/8 tsp. salt
-6 tbsp. butter, melted
-1/2 cup pecans

Mix flour, oats, sugar, and salt.  Stir butter and pecans.  Pinch into crumbly balls and place in freezer while filling is being prepared.

Filling
-2 pounds rhubarb, sliced
-1 pint of strawberries, sliced
-1/3 cup cane sugar
-1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
-1/2 tsp. orange zest
-1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 375F.  Mix all of the above ingredients.  Place in an 8 x 8 inch baking dish.  Spread topping evenly over the top.  Bake in oven for 40 minutes, or until crisp is bubbly and begins to brown.   Let cool for ten minutes.  Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Lindabeekeeper
    May 22, 2010 at 7:44 am

Good timing. Just what I wanted to make today!

Elisa
    May 22, 2010 at 8:34 am

It seems like all of your recipes come at the perfect time. I just started seeing rhubarb in the grocery store and was thinking, “I should make something with rhubarb.” Of course I could always look up something online or in my cookbook, but really I hate following recipes. When I just come across one in my daily reading it sticks with me and cuts out the step of finding a recipe that may or may not be good. So Thanks!

Kady @ Livin, Lovin, Learnin
    May 22, 2010 at 9:06 am

Wow, this looks soooo good! I love any type of fruit crisp and I haven’t had rhubarb in a really long time. I need to go find some now! – I can usually find a family member who has some growing around their house.

May 22, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Super cool. I have always been afraid to try rhubarb, but I have recently come across it at the commissary, so I thank you for sharing your experience. I may need to give this a try.

May 23, 2010 at 5:18 am

Oh that looks great! I’ve never cooked with rhubarb before!

Erica @ Fashion meets Food
    May 23, 2010 at 8:58 am

Wow that looks so good! I cannot wait for Rhubarb to be ready! I just found your blog and absolutely love it! You have a new follower!

xo

Heather
    May 23, 2010 at 10:50 am

I have never cooked with rhubarb before – but I am going to the farmer’s market on Tuesday and will have to look for it!

That looks like a great dessert!

May 23, 2010 at 11:53 am

I love the things that you create! this looks like another wonderful and healthy recipe…

Jenna @ Healthy. Happy. Well.
    May 23, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Such a perfect summer recipe! Rhubarb just reminds me of perfect picnics and warm days at the lake. I hope you enjoy the Yantra Mat if you choose to try it out!

Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries
    May 24, 2010 at 7:55 am

This looks beautiful! And I love the blue bowl it’s in!

Eric
    May 24, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Interesting, I was on the lookout for new a rhubarb pie recipe but might try this instead with a few tweeks. Can’t wait!

10K Training Plan and Rhubarb « Living, Loving, Learning
    May 28, 2010 at 4:16 pm

[…] saw this recipe for Rhubarb Crisp over at Food-Fitness-Freshair and wanted to try it …fortuitously, I found a bunch of rhubarb […]

Last Day at the CSA « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    June 29, 2010 at 5:40 am

[…] first time using rhubarb.  That was […]

L-Lysine Side Effects :
    October 28, 2010 at 10:39 am

so many healthy recipes to choose from on the internet”‘.

DHEA Dosage
    January 25, 2011 at 12:43 am

:,* I am really thankful to this topic because it really gives great information ,~,

Jorge Muchmore
    October 2, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Rugby, Fashion and Rocks – three of my favourite things all in one night!! Please please pick me!