London!

Taken from http://www.topnews.in/

As I said in my last post, my summer interim CSA/farm job has come to an end…which means, I’m on to the next chapter of my summer.  And what would that be?

I am leaving for LONDON in four days!!

For the rest of the summer, I’ll be traveling around London helping to document London’s music scene with one of Temple University’s London journalism programs.  How exciting, right!?

Along with 20 or so other students, I will also be attempting to capture the culture of London and helping to publish a magazine by the completion of the program.

I’ve never been to Europe, so I am more than excited for this experience!  I plan to travel around Europe as much as I can (in terms of time and money) while I’m there.

I’ve never been on a plane without my family, let alone in another country, so it’s a bit intimidating.  But I love traveling and really can’t wait to get going.

Hopefully I’ll be blogging about as much of my experience as possible, giving you a glimpse of some London eats, sights, music, and more.  However, traveling and soaking in as much as possible while I’m there will be first and foremost on my agenda, meaning in front of blogging, so that would explain any slowing down you may see from my blog.  I’ll do my best to multitask though!

Can’t wait for another exhilarating experience in my life.  These past few years have been incredible.

If you’ve ever been to Europe or London, I’ll take any guidance I can get.

What places must I visit in London?  Favorite restaurants/sights/places to run/parks/music venues/food to try/etc.?

Sarah (Enjoying One Meal at a Time)
    July 1, 2010 at 6:30 am

Yay! Have a great time!!

July 1, 2010 at 7:31 am

Wow, I’m super jealous. In addition to the rest of the big tourist stops, I though seeing Shakespeare’s theater in the round was awesome. You’re going to have a blast–what a great experience!

Eric
    July 1, 2010 at 7:42 am

Congrats, traveling around London/Europe doesn’t seem to bad at all 🙂

Lauren
    July 1, 2010 at 7:49 am

Wow, that’s the craziest cool thing ever! Have fun, I haven’t been to London, but I’ve been around Europe a few times.

July 1, 2010 at 7:53 am

oh my gosh, what a fun new adventure!

Vern Myers
    July 1, 2010 at 8:17 am

Sounds like an amazing opportunity! I’ve never been there, but when my daughter went, she thought the British Museum was one of the top highlights. Have a great time!

July 1, 2010 at 10:09 am

Very cool. I went to London more when i was younger because I have a friend there. I just travelled around Europe for 2 weeks myself. I would suggest not using exchange places for money, and only go with the hotel when you know they have a good rate on the money exchange. Your best bet is a bank if they can change money, or use the ATM once you verify how your bank will charge. Oh, and let any banks/credit card companies know where you are going and when to avoid having your cards declined. London is super expensive right now, so try shopping in local grocery stores to save money. If you can find a hop on hop off bus tour, do that once so you can get in some sight seeing with relatively little stress. I think the main company is city tours. If think of anything else good I will let you know.

Steven Rice Fitness
    July 1, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Grace, you are having quite a summer! Have fun, and don’t forget to eat your veggies.

Taylor
    July 1, 2010 at 2:20 pm

London has all sorts of great food markets, but the one to beat all is Borough Market, so be sure to hit it up. I also love just perusing the grocery stores; Marks and Spencer is my favorite. There are loads of great gardens in England, but if you’re stuck in the city and want an easy get away, Kew Garden is at the end of a tube line (sorry don’t know line without looking it up). Have fun! London is an awesome city.

Kady @ Livin, Lovin, Learnin
    July 1, 2010 at 4:09 pm

You are going to have a blast! You will be fine flying by yourself – I had never flown without my family or been to Europe before I flew there by myself and I was nervous, but it ended up being no biggie. Fill us in on the amazing things you are doing, but don’t spend too much time at the computer, we’d rather you have the time of your life and tell us about it when you get back if needed 🙂 !!!

July 2, 2010 at 6:12 am

That is VERY exciting!!! HOw awesome! I would love to go to London (or anywhere out the USA other than Mexico or Bahamas!) I cant wait to see photos of your journey 🙂

July 2, 2010 at 9:34 am

How fun! And you said you’ll be there for your birthday? What an experience! I’ve seen a LOT of Europe and I would move to London ahead of anywhere else! You MUST have fish and chips, Magners, and Indian food! My gosh…the Indian is fantastic! We had it at about 6 locations (couldn’t get enough!) and each was as wonderful as the next!

Amanda Thebe (foxyburd)
    July 3, 2010 at 10:08 am

Hey have fun in my fair country – I am so jealous. A few things you must experience while in England. In no particular order.
    1) Fish and Chips – if you can jump on the train to Brighton, go to the seaside and eat them in newspaper!!
    2) Yes as previously mentioned – Indian food (well its mainly Bengali) wonderful. Take your friends to Brick Lane. Bring your own beer and eat for about 10 quid each! a bargain.
    3) Spittlefields market
    4) Camden Market
    5) Richmond on Thames – beautiful
    6) Hampton Court Palace, the home of Cardinal Wolsey then Henry VIII – breathtaking and steaming in history
    7) Eat at the New Culture Revolution, a few locations, my favourite is at Angel (Islington) Tube Stop – super cheap great Asian food.
    8) Islington High Street, go to the pubs have a decent pint of beer!
    9) Covent Garden
    10) Soho (Cafe Emm is great)

I have way too many more suggestions, glad to see you went to Wimbledon already – did you see any Wombles?

Have fun