Hummingbird Bakery

With bakeries on practically every other block in many of the London neighborhoods, I had been eagerly anticipating my first visit to one.  On my stroll home Thursday to my temporary Kensington flat, I finally leaped into one of these cutesy bakeries to give it a good look around.  My eyes immediately jumped to the long line of colorfully displayed cupcakes, narrowing in on the tag inscribed with one of my all-time favorite duos, “Carrot Cake.”

With three golden pounds left in my pocket, I was sold.  Ring me up please handsome Italian cashier.

Walking out of Hummingbird Bakery with some spare change (35 pence to be exact), a wooden fork, and a sparkling, sweet snow frosted cupcake in my hand, I was a happy customer.

I became even happier once I took my first bite of that carrot cake cupcake.  Moist and sweet with faint hints of nutmeg, the cake was everything I had hoped for.  And while the smooth, cream cheese icing aroused a slight nostalgia of Philly, there was absolutely no other place I wanted to be in that moment than in Kensington eating that London-made cupcake.

In addition to its Kensington location, Hummingbird Bakery has two other shops located in Soho and Notting Hill, meaning I’ll probably wind up at one of the three for a second visit.  As a baker with a huge sweet tooth, I’d love to experience almost every bakery within London.  However, I have a feeling that with the various other cakes, cupcakes, and brownies that Hummingbird Bakery offers, I’ll probably soon be eating from a wooden fork once again.

July 27, 2010 at 6:49 am

That looks so good! The wooden fork was a cute idea. I like to eat my cupcakes with a fork too, to get the best ratio of frosting to cake. 🙂

Amanda Thebe
    July 27, 2010 at 8:01 am

I am enjoying your updates from London. Its making me homesick though!
    I also find it funny you are tickled by the wooden fork – cakes should always be eaten with a fork!! ha ha
    Get yourself to Hampton Court Palace before you leave, you wont regret it.

Angela (the diet book junkie)
    July 27, 2010 at 8:25 am

omgosh, that looks so good. bakings are definitely my weakness, i’d be trying to eat my way through every bakery in London too!

tanyasDailyProductReviews
    July 27, 2010 at 8:32 am

the cupcake looks so good, I would use a fork inside a resturant but otherwise not

July 27, 2010 at 8:56 am

Sounds and looks like a lovely, sweet afternoon! 🙂

marla {family fresh cooking}
    July 27, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Sounds like you could not have found a better way to spend your 3 golden pounds! Your descriptions of this carrot cake cupcake are so beautiful. xo

Kristine
    July 28, 2010 at 9:50 am

Last time I was in London I was so impressed by all of the fresh, organic produce and veggie take-away options. Have you noticed whether the bakeries and other stores are offering vegan selections? Any vegan cupcakes on offer?