Magnum Ice Cream Bars

Vanilla ice cream covered in chocolate.  It’s a duo that certainly doesn’t seem out of the ordinary.  Yet the Magnum uses this simple combination to create one of the best ice cream bars I’ve ever tasted.

Crunchy yet soft, dense chocolate encases the creamiest vanilla ice cream I’ve ever had on a wooden stick.  The Magnum bar comes in several varieties including dark chocolate, caramel and milk chocolate, white chocolate, almond and mint.  I’ve tried the dark chocolate and the classic milk chocolate, which both were incredibly delicious.  It’s a tough call between which bar is better, and I’m surprised by how much I enjoyed such a simple concept.

In 2009, Magnum launched a bar called the Magnum Temptation Chocolate, consisting of “rich chocolate ice cream enriched with sumptuous chocolate sauce plus an abundance of white Belgian chocolate chunks and brownie pieces all encased in dark Belgian chocolate made with 46% cocoa.”  Now that’s a bar I’m going to keep my eye out for.  The Magnum Temptation Caramel & Almonds doesn’t sound bad either– “Madagascan vanilla ice cream with Californian almond pieces smothered in dark Belgian chocolate and luscious swirls of smooth, soft caramel sauce all surrounded by a shell of thick milk chocolate.”

Magnum was launched in the UK in 1987 under the company of Unilever.  Since then, the ice cream bar has taken off with more than a whopping billion being sold last year.

Simple, but quality ingredients can often create some of the best food out there, and this is simply what the Magnum is:  Simple done well.

July 29, 2010 at 7:22 am

oooh that does look good!

Heather
    July 29, 2010 at 8:32 am

That looks delicious! I haven’t had a frozen chocolate ice cream treat like that in years…!

July 29, 2010 at 9:08 am

My friends and I used to eat these all the time when I lived in New Zealand. They really are so much better than our Klondike bars or whatever. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. 🙂

July 30, 2010 at 10:50 am

Um, this looks amazing?! I can’t remember the last time I had an ice cream bar either.

melindard
    July 30, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Oh, I see you have discovered my weakness. I first had these in Israel, but they sell them on the island, and this is my treat every once in a while. The best is the double caramel.

melindard
    July 30, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Oh, if you are curious about how Paris went, check out my main blog: http://nutrfoodtrvl.blogspot.com

Angela (the diet book junkie)
    July 31, 2010 at 8:20 am

Magnum is hugely popular in Australia. (looks like they’re popular everywhere else too!) i’ve never tried one but i think you have me convinced 🙂