Black Bean Soup

What better way to celebrate the first few days of fall than with a bowl of warm, hearty soup.  As the cold weather is expectantly looming not too far in the horizon, it’s time to start brewing up some yummy, tummy-warming soup.

And while fall means that for many of us it’s time to start layering on those jackets, it doesn’t mean we all want to start packing on the cold month pounds too.  The following recipe combines a ton of flavor using a handful of spices and fresh herbs to create a soup that has all the lightness of those departed summer days, while generating the perfect amount of heat to warm you up during the brisk, shivery days of the next few months.

Black Bean Soup

(Makes 3-4 large bowls)

-2 15-oz. cans black beans
-1 medium onion, diced
-1 green pepper, diced
-4 garlic cloves, minced
-8 oz. vegetable stock
-1/3 cup water
-1 tsp. chili powder
-1/2 tsp. cumin
-1 tsp. smoked paprika
-2-3 tsp. Tabasco
-1 Tbsp. olive oil
-1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
-Dab of sour cream or Greek yogurt, optional
-Salt and pepper, to taste

In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.  Add garlic, onion, and pepper, and saute 5-7 minutes, until veggies are tender.  Add chili powder, cumin, and paprika and continuously stir for 45 seconds.  Stir in black beans and Tabasco.  Add broth and water.  Turn heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for ten minutes.

Add chopped cilantro and salt and pepper, to taste, and cook for another 2 minutes.  Serve immediately, garnishing with fresh cilantro and a dab of sour cream/yogurt.

Steven Rice Fitness
    September 24, 2010 at 9:36 am

For a bit more work, try starting with dried black beans. Just sort, rinse, soak, and simmer.
    Sorting is done by putting the dried beans on the counter and sweeping handfuls into a pan under the counter’s edge. Look for bits of dirt and remove. Soak about 8 hours, cook on low heat 1-2 hours- the beans should cook past firm but not to soft(I don’t time things in the kitchen, I just test as I go.)

September 24, 2010 at 10:56 am

oh that soup looks great and perfect for the fall!

Kristen (swanky dietitian)
    September 24, 2010 at 11:32 am

This soup sounds just delicious! It is still pretty hot here in Vegas but I am looking forward to it cooling down…especially since I am looking forward to soup.
    I am definitely going to save this recipe!

September 24, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I love black bean soup! I’ll be making this as soon as the weather turns back to fall-like! I’m sick of the 90’s!

September 24, 2010 at 10:10 pm

The black bean soup at Panera is my favorite.

This sounds much better. Cilantro is the perfect ingredient.

I can’t wait for the real fall weather!

Jenna@ Healthy. Happy. Well.
    September 25, 2010 at 12:32 am

Oh gawd yum! I love black beans, but have you ever taken note of how many people are anti-bean? I have so many friends who hate beans with a passion. I don’t get it. This recipe is awesome!

melindard
    September 25, 2010 at 10:02 am

I agree, this looks like a great way to kick off fall.

Angela (the diet book junkie)
    September 25, 2010 at 7:31 pm

i’ve never made soup before, something about it intimidates me (isn’t that crazy?) hope you’re having a great weekend 🙂

Lauren
    November 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm

This was wonderful! Even my meat loving friends raved about it!