Arugula Salad with Pomegranate and Blue Cheese

Pomegranate season is back in action.  With a huge box intersecting the first few steps of my most recent grocery store trip, I threw one into my basket without hesitation.  A rarity in my diet, I always look forward to using pomegranate seeds.  The antioxidant-rich fruit is significantly unique with its citrusy, cranberry-resembling flavor and crunchy, seed-like texture, and adds a nice touch to a variety of dishes.

In the following recipe, faintly sweet pomegranate seeds pair perfectly with peppery arugula and creamy blue cheese.  I toss the salad with a simple dressing and add a few pumpkin seeds for an extra element of crunch.  These are the kinds of easy to make, restaurant-esque salads that make me adore greens.

Arugula Salad with Pomegranate and Blue Cheese

(Per salad)

For the dressing:

-1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
-2 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
-1/2 tsp. agave
-Rounded 1/4 tsp. thyme
-Rounded 1/4 tsp. salt
-Rounded 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper

Whisk oil with vinegar until combined.  Add remaining ingredients, whisking until dressing is creamy and light.

For the salad:

-2 cups arugula
-1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
-1 wedge of Laughing Cow Light Blue Cheese (You can substitute any variation of your favorite blue cheese, but Laughing Cow Light adds a lighter, extra creamy touch)
-2 Tbsp. roasted pumpkin seeds
-1 1/2 Tbsp. vinaigrette (see above)

Toss arugula with vinaigrette.  Top with pomegranate, blue cheese, and pumpkin seeds. Serve.

November 10, 2010 at 7:39 am

Yum! This sounds great. I have been making pomegranate salsa at work and finding it very difficult to get the seeds our of the pomegranate. Do you have any tips or suggestions on how to do that without making a mess???

Food-Fitness-FreshAir
      November 10, 2010 at 8:28 am

Yeah, it’s definitely always a struggle, but check out the highlighted pomegranate link at the beginning of this post. That may help you. And pom. salsa sounds awesome!

November 10, 2010 at 7:46 am

I have a pomegranate and I can’t wait to break into it! The Laughing Cow Bleu Cheese wedges look so good…I am yet to try them!

November 10, 2010 at 8:49 am

Your salad looks beautiful and inspired me to pick up a pomegranate today!

Angela (the diet book junkie)
    November 11, 2010 at 10:19 pm

yum! there really is nothing better than a good salad (beside chocolate.)

Overnight Oats with Pomegranate Seeds « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    November 12, 2010 at 11:14 am

[…] side door.  I also added a few pom. seeds leftover from the one I broke open for yesterday’s salad, and a handful of walnuts for a boost of morning protein to keep me chugging along till lunch.  A […]

marlameridith