Baked Arugula Chips

The flavor of arugula can be a little harsh for some tastes.  For me personally, I have grown to love the bitter green leaves I once persistently spit out as a kid.

The key is to compliment its bitterness with other sweet and savory ingredients, such as a light raspberry vinaigrette, a good blue cheese, or freshly slivered pear.

However, another option is to pop those leaves in the oven to create a “chip” that keeps the pungent arugula flavor while diminishing some of its bitterness.  This is a great way to use up some of that arugula that may have hung out a little too long in the garden.

Arugula leaves won’t physically hold up quite as well as other greens, such as kale, but the oven-baked chips are just as tasty, resulting in a unique, slightly peppery, healthy and satisfying snack.  Pairing the arugula with the sweet and smoky flavor of smoked paprika and adding a little kick with some hot sauce, these chips make arugula irresistible, even for those a little weary about the bitter green.

Baked Arugula Chips

-4 cups of arugula

-1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil

-1 tsp. smoked paprika

-2 tsp. Cholula

-Dash salt and pepper

Preheat oven 350F.  In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, paprika, Cholula, and dash of salt and pepper.  Toss arugula with olive oil mixture.  Spread out on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.  Bake for about 15 minutes, or until leaves begin to crisp, stirring once or twice throughout the cooking period.

Note:  These do tend to fall apart much easier than a sturdy kale or collard leave.  Make sure to thoroughly pat leaves dry before tossing them with oil.  You may need to remove them from the oven in batches.

November 16, 2010 at 6:58 am

Huh!! I don’t liked cooked arugula, but baked to a crisp I may be able to love 🙂 How creative, and unlike kale, arugula is naturally bite-sized!

November 16, 2010 at 8:18 am

I love arugula. I’ve been too nervous to make kale chips (I’m not 100 percent sure I’d like them) but this I could do. I agree that arugula is best with something sweet. I love it with pear and goat cheese.

Taylor
    November 16, 2010 at 8:41 am

I still have not done the kale chip thing, but I live with someone who would probably die and go to heaven if I made arugula chips. Good idea!

melindard
    November 16, 2010 at 9:40 am

Hmm, maybe I should try some. I do not think I am a big fan of arugula, but it seems my tastes have changed recently.

November 16, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I love arugula. I never thought of baking it. Thanks for the idea!

Angela (the diet book junkie)
    November 16, 2010 at 8:50 pm

what a great idea! we eat a lot of arugula (or “rocket” they call it here) and i could stand to change things up a bit. thanks for sharing!

Cel Maarsh
    March 27, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Tried baked arugula with olive oil, smoked paprika and sea salt, added some chilled avocado slices to the plate before tasting and wow, absolutely fantastic flavors. Thanks for the recipe!

grace
      March 27, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Avocado and arugula, can’t go wrong with that!