Who doesn’t look forward to pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving?  If you’re like me, it’s the creamy pumpkin filling of the pie that keeps you excited for dessert, despite already being stuffed to your tummy’s content.  With the following recipe, I decided to skip the pie crust (who cares about crust when you’ve got pumpkin? Oh, and coconut too!) and create an even creamier version of the holiday treat.  The pumpkin custard creates a cross between pie and crème brûlée, with a smooth, heavenly texture and all those beloved flavors of pumpkin pie.  It’s probably one of the best desserts I’ve eaten in a long time.  Nope.  Not lying.  Did I mention it was vegan too?

Vegan Pumpkin Custard

( Serves 8 )

Prep. time: 20 minutes,  Chill time: 2 hours

-2-14 oz cans coconut milk
-2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
-2 tsp. agar
-1/4 cup agave syrup
-2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. brown sugar
-2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
-1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
-Dash of salt
-Vegan whipped cream, optional

Whisk all ingredients together in a medium-sized pan, and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, simmer 15 minutes.  Divide mixture between 8 ramekins.  Cool in refrigerator at least 2 hours before serving.  Serve, adding a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.

Tagged with →

46 Responses to Vegan Pumpkin Custard

1. Ohhhh this sounds great! I got excited until I saw the agave nectar. Cant’ eat it. Too bad :( Maybe I could sub honey?? One day I’ll have to experiment!

• Mary-An says:

If you sub honey, you may have to add a bit of water to it to thin it down slightly. Maple syrup (the real kind, not the stuff they sell for pancakes) can also be subbed for agave (or corn syrup, for that matter)

• Stacy Key says:

If you can’t use agave nectar, I would highly recommend using liquid stevia. It’s an all natural plant derivative, has virtually no taste and will drastically cut down on the carbs and calories in this dish. Use sparingly, though, it’s extremely sweet!

2. [...] Vegan Food : Vegan Pumpkin Custard [...]

3. Luscious. My favorite part of pumpkin pie is the filling of course. The crust is fine, but I could take it or leave it. Coconut milk is probably my ingredient of the year.

4. Divine. This looks divine. I can’t wait to try it. And I bet it’ll be a great filling, should I decide to make a crust! It’d be great with a ginger cookie crust. Yum!!! Thank you!

• Grace Dickinson says:

I think some kind of crust crumbled on top would be great. That’s what I plan to experiment with for Thanksgiving! And who knows, maybe even try adding some chocolate?

5. Sara says:

Oh that sounds so good… I was just going to skip TG desert this year but maybe….

6. Happy Thanksgiving Grace. This sounds delish- coconut would pair really well with the pumpkin and spice.

I make a sweet potato pie with silken tofu, the other analog for the traditional holiday pie.

-Steven

7. I may have to add these to my Thanksgiving menu! :) Love portion-controlled desserts… :)

8. I can personally attest that this is DELICIOUS! I didn’t miss the crust either, to be honest.

Way to go Grace, your blog is awesome! :)

9. this is genius. i don’t even like the crust, so this is absolutely perfect! still looking for agave though. (sigh… :))

10. Wonderful pumpkin dessert. I so agree with you – I can pass up the crust. What good is crust if the pumpkin custard isn’t delicious?

11. This sounds fabulous! I absolutely love the recipe!

xo

12. Any substitute for coconut milk? I’m not a fan.

13. Nally says:

can anyone tell me what agar is? I’m a start up cook ^^;

14. Hayley says:

What exactly does pumpkin pie spice consist of? I’m from Australia and it’s not a dessert we really have so no where sells a pumpkin pie spice as such….. Can’t wait to try it, I’ve never had any type of pumpkin dessert!

• Grace Dickinson says:

Oh no worries. If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice handy, you can do a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ginger. Just do a little pinch of each, going slightly heavier on the cinnamon side. Enjoy!

15. Pamela sch says:

Looks delicious but am concerned about the higher fat content of the recipe given the coconut milk. I am vegetarian and appreciate the need for a milk alternative, but agree with substituting almond milk and skimming some of the fat off the coconut milk. Generally healthy with the agave. From a fellow RD:)

16. Lisa says:

I buy coconut milk by the half gallon, can I use it from there or is the canned one in the recipe a thicker consistency? Also, what is the equivalent amount in terms of cups?

17. Amber D says:

Just made and it’s PUMPKINLISIOUS!!!!!!

18. [...] 4. Deliciously Vegan: Pumpkin Pie Custard [...]

19. redcordelia says:

Hi! I’m wondering if the agar you used was the powdered variety, and if I should change the measurement with my agar flakes that I have.

20. Eva says:

This looks fantastic, but I’m not a fan of agave. Do you think 1/4 c. of any other sweetener would work (ie. honey, maple syrup, etc.)? Thanks!

• You really won’t taste the agave in here, but if you’re trying to avoid it for sake of having leftovers, I don’t see why you couldn’t try a different liquid sweetener. Honey and maple syrup are a little stronger in flavor, but I think they’d be fine. If you have both on hand, consider using half and half, for a consistency as close to agave as possible.

21. Jen says:

Anyone know about how many calories one serving would be?

22. Jareen Imam says:

Looks incredible – I love cooking with agar

23. [...] Food Fitness Fresh Air’s Vegan Pumpkin Custard [...]

24. Olivia says:

I am curious, what size ramekins did you use?

Thanks,
    Olivia

• grace says:

Hi Olivia,

I used ramekins that were 3-inch in diameter at the bottom, and approximately 1.5 inches high. So on the small size. Hope this helps!

25. Jessica says:

I love Pumpkin and cant wait to try this but am curious if i dont have ramekins is there I way to make this in a bigger mold?

26. Grace @FoodFitnessFreshAir says:

Hi Jessica! While I haven’t tried this outside of ramekins, I’m fairly certain you could mold it in a bowl, or ideally, a rectangular dish. You’ll want something large enough so that when you pour the pumpkin into it, it will reach about 1 1/2 inches high. Cheers!