Asian Quinoa Salad

Time for something a little lighter after all of the heavy holiday deliciousness.

Let’s go with quinoa, always a favorite grain.  Cool, crunchy, nutty, and nutritious.  You can read more about this superfood here.  Or you can just trust me in that it tastes awesome, needs only minimal sprucing up, and is packed full of that good-for-you-stuff we’ll just generally categorize as nutrients.  Tossing quinoa with chewy baked tofu, creamy avocado, and whatever else that’s inspiring me at the moment creates one of my frequent go-to lunches.  Quadruple the recipe and serve it to your pals, or just make some extra quinoa for yourself and set it aside for breakfast.

Quinoa Salad with an Asian Flair

(Serves 1)

-1 cup of cooked quinoa (I always go for the red kind…and could anyone tell me where to find the black variety!?)
-3 oz. baked tofu (about 1/4 cup)
-1/3 avocado, chopped
-1 rounded tsp. soy sauce
-1/2 tsp. sesame oil
-2 Tbsp. chives, diced
-Sriracha, to taste
-Salt, dash
-Ground pepper, to taste

Place cooked quinoa in a bowl.  Chop baked tofu into cubes.  Sprinkle dash salt over the avocado.  Toss cubed tofu and salted avocado with quinoa.  Drizzle soy sauce and sesame oil over top, and add chives.  Add sriracha and fresh ground pepper, to taste.  Serve warm or cold.

Tweets that mention Asian Quinoa Salad « Food-Fitness-FreshAir -- Topsy.com
    November 28, 2010 at 6:50 am

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Lidia Machado, Annika Gordon. Annika Gordon said: Quinoa Blogs – Asian Quinoa Salad « Food-Fitness-FreshAir http://bit.ly/gdKWs3 […]

November 28, 2010 at 7:19 am

Oh what a great idea!

November 28, 2010 at 7:49 am

Yum, this sounds wonderful (minus the tofu! hehe). Perhaps I could use tempeh instead?? I have never tried the red OR black variety of quinoa, only the white one. I hear the red one is great and I know we sell it where I work. I guess I’ll have to give it a try!

Steph @ A Nutritious Plate
    November 28, 2010 at 5:46 pm

That looks delicious! I love how simple it is to put this salad together – super quick to make a big batch and have plenty left to pack for lunch later on!

helena
    December 2, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I love this and will try it first thing tomorrow!!!! thank you so much for your comment on my quinoa posting i’m so glad you did because it brought me to this deliciousness!!!! YUMMY!!!

Bari
    December 3, 2010 at 10:19 am

I got the black Quinoa at HMart which is an Asian Supermarket in NY. I forgot the name of the brand but it comes in a pouch and is an eco friendly sustainable brand. I have to tell you though….when cooked it kind of looks just liek the red!
    I eat quinoa all the time! Your avocado recipe looks like a great idea….will definitely give it a try this weekend!

Kirstin Hanssen
    December 6, 2010 at 4:34 pm

i have to try this one. looks very yummy! here, in the netherlands, we only have the ‘white’ quinoa. i love it very much. leftovers i even eat for breakfast with some cinnamon and raisins. i’ve never seen the red or black, but i’m curious to them now!

Rice Salad with Marinated Tempeh « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    November 27, 2011 at 9:52 am

[…] you haven’t noticed by now, I’m a huge fan of grain salads. Why? They’re so effortlessly tasty, healthy, and transportable. All it takes to achieve that […]

foodlovemeal
    August 17, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Ive always got my Black quinoa in whole foods….
    it makes a gorgeous presentation!!!!