Collard Chips

If you haven’t gotten the gist by now from my other two “green chip” posts, let me inform you now that you can turn almost any kind of leafy green into a delicious and healthy version of a chip.  I find that this is one of the best ways to introduce greens into the diets of those who may view these kinds of veggies as foreign, medicine-like substances.

While indeed greens could be praised for what may be perceived as medicinal qualities, boasting of exceptionally high levels of antioxidants, their taste certainly doesn’t have to resemble anything close to that off a chewable medicine.  In fact, turning let say, collard greens, into chips makes them almost as irresistible as chips made from America’s #1 favorite vegetable, potatoes.

Collards in particular have exceptionally high levels of vitamins A, C, and K, essential for proper immune system functioning and healthy vision, and providing anti-inflammatory properties.

Swap out those regular potato chips and replace them with collard chips (or any other green of your choice).  High in fiber and low in calories, there’s simply no comparison between baked collard chips and standard potato chips, other than their slightly addicting flavors. A perfect green app. for those upcoming holiday parties.

Collard Chips

-1 bunch of collard greens, chopped
-Garlic powder
-Red chili pepper flakes
-Salt and Pepper
-1 Tbsp. olive oil, plus more for greasing

Preheat oven to 375F.  Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly grease with oil.  Spread chopped collard greens on baking sheet, and drizzle with olive oil.  Generously sprinkle chili pepper flakes, garlic powder, and salt and pepper on top.  Bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring halfway through, until leaves start to crisp and edges turn brown.