Cabbage Salad with Peanuts

Uncooked cabbage does not need mayonnaise.  Yeah, you heard me.  No fatty, eggy mayonnaise needed to make this superstar shine.  In fact, fresh cabbage is in all reality better without its malevolent sidekick. Minus the mayo, it’ll keep longer, taste yummier, and make you feel overall better.  This dish plays off of another of my favorite creamy ingredients—peanut butter.  Combined with a kick of sesame, the peanut butter gives this cabbage dish a nutty boost of flavor, while keeping it healthy and fresh.  Add in some chopped red pepper for a little red-green combo., and you’ve got yourself a light and unique holiday dish that will outshine all those other typical salads on the party table.  Who doesn’t like to be the star of the party?

Cabbage Salad with Peanuts

• -6 cups Chinese (napa) cabbage, chopped
  • -1 red bell pepper, diced
  • -1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
  • -1/2 cup peanuts, chopped
  • -3 scallions, diced
  • -Pepper, to taste

Whisk together first 8 ingredients.  In large bowl, toss cabbage, peppers, and cilantro.  Add oil mixture.  Season with pepper, to taste.  Top with scallions and peanuts.  Serve.

Tes
    December 14, 2010 at 6:34 am

What a beautiful dish! It sounds so healthy and fresh. I can’t wait to try it 🙂

Get Six Pack Abs | How BAT helps reduce your abdominal fat
    December 14, 2010 at 7:05 am

[…] Cabbage Salad with Peanuts « Food-Fitness-FreshAir […]

December 14, 2010 at 7:17 am

I loooove cabbage! This sounds wonderful! What is mirin? I’ve never heard of it 🙁

Grace Dickinson
      December 14, 2010 at 9:12 am

Mirin is like a slightly sweeter rice wine, used often in Japanese cuisine

December 14, 2010 at 10:17 am

This looks great. I love that you didn’t use mayo. I absolutely cannot stand the stuff. But cabbage and vinegar and lemon I can do!

December 14, 2010 at 8:23 pm

I love all the colors, flavors and textures in your salad!

December 15, 2010 at 7:32 am

I love cabbage, and I think this salad sounds awesome! I do have gas problems when it comes to cabbage, but most of the time a Beano can help that 🙂 I don’t mind eggs in mayo, but what I do mind is the excess canola oil. I LOVE that they make mayo with olive oil now! But, obviously if the salad doesn’t need it, why add it?! Thanks for the recipe!

TheSceneFromMe
    December 15, 2010 at 9:04 pm

This looks very tasty!
    And a lime and oil dressing is much better than mayo 🙂

Joanne
    December 21, 2010 at 10:39 am

Delicious salad! I’m making an apple-slaw salad tonight. No eggy, fatty mayo happening here either. It will be topped with cider vinegar, dijon mustard and few other choice flavors. Nothing creamy for this gal.
    I might even incorporate some of your ingredients like bell peppers and peanuts. Those would add great texture. Lets hope I have them 🙂