Keeping It Light During and Post Holidays

The holidays are surrounded with family, fun, and FOOD. It’s a hearty combination that makes the holiday season the special time of year that it is.

However, the food part of this combo. almost always tends to be in excess, with heavy and unhealthy choices seemingly everywhere you go. With cookies always at your fingertips, it can be challenging to keep your belly from looking like Santa’s.

So if you want to keep your figure looking more like the Sugar Plum Fairy’s rather than Santa’s or Frosty’s, then it’s extra important that you consciously make healthy food choices during and after the holidays. The best time to start making these choices? Right when you wake up of course!

Eating a healthy breakfast will start you off on the right foot and help you set a pattern for the remainder of your day. Plus, with family gatherings and holiday parties often filling up afternoons and evenings, breakfast is that one meal where you can fully control its makeup. So keep it light, and don’t let a fatty breakfast be just another meal that weighs you down.

Fruit plates are always one of my favorites. Fruit is naturally light, so you can eat a ton of it without packing in too many calories. Plus, fruit’s full of color. Taking just a few minutes to slice it up and arrange it on your plate can turn your morning meal into a breakfast that really can’t be beat. Make sure to pair your fruit plate with some yogurt and/or a few nuts. The added protein will help hold your appetite till lunch, keeping those cookies from sabotaging you mid-morning.

What’s your favorite light and healthy breakfast (other than oatmeal…we all know oats are a great morning starter!)?

movesnmunchies
    December 28, 2010 at 6:47 am

that is the perfect light breakfast! i think green monsters are also a nice light and refreshing breakki!

December 28, 2010 at 7:18 am

I definitely over-indulged this Christmas. It was almost like I was making up for being so good last Christmas. Oh well, I’m not beating myself up over it. I continued my workouts the whole time and now I’m eating extra healthy (and loving every minute of it, because this is definitely what I prefer). My favorite breakfast is oats, and it’s the only thing I ever eat. Sorry! When I’m rushing, however, I will eat yogurt and fruit. Perfect.

Steven Rice Fitness
    December 28, 2010 at 10:24 am

I eat steamed sweet potatoes on sprouted grains with walnuts and chia seeds. I’m hoping that it leads to a Prince figure more than the Sugar Plum Fairy though.

Grace Dickinson
      December 28, 2010 at 11:24 am

Love sweet potatoes for breakfast! I’m sure a Prince figure is attainable 🙂

December 28, 2010 at 11:33 am

I’m pretty boring when it comes to breakfast and eat oatmeal most days. However, I also like egg white sandwiches (hard boiled egg whites) on whole grain bread with tomatoes or cucumbers on the side. In fact, that’s what I’ll have tomorrow. I’m really tired of the oatmeal… 🙂

melindard
    December 28, 2010 at 2:00 pm

My favorite light breakfast is cottage cheese with fruit. I usually just grab cereal before work.

Nicole, RD
    December 28, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I couldn’t agree more — I am trying to keep it light! I am doing a lot of fruit for breakfast and I also have a quiche with broccoli I am planning to make tomorrow morning 🙂

December 28, 2010 at 3:25 pm

I love starting my day with a green monster!

writeway73
    January 10, 2011 at 10:27 am

Light is always good for breakfast, but oatmeal keeps me going until lunch. Tried some homemade granola trail mix the other day but didn’t like the recipe. http://writeway73.wordpress.com