Sweet and Sour Tempeh

This is what I like to call my Semi-Homemade version of Sweet and Sour “Chicken.”  Tempeh, made from naturally cultured and fermented soybeans, serves as a relatively unprocessed meat substitute and tasty plant-based protein.  It provides a nice, dense texture to this dish, pairing well with the softness of the pineapple and crunch of the cashews.  Using a pre-bottled sweet and sour sauce, this dish can be cooked up in no time.  Just make sure to choose a sauce without a long list of added, processed ingredients. You won’t find me making a Sandra Lee-style sacrifice on this regard.

Serve alongside brown rice, or any other of your favorite whole grains.

Sweet and Sour Tempeh
(Serves 4)
-1 8-oz pkg. tempeh, cubed
-2 medium bell peppers, cut into 1-inch slices
-1 Tbs. minced ginger
-1 8-oz can crushed pineapple, drained
-1/3 cup unsalted roasted cashews, chopped
-2-3 tsp. soy sauce (depending on sodium content of sweet and sour sauce)
-1/3 cup sweet and sour sauce (any brand of your choice)
-1 Tbsp. olive oil
-Cilantro, optional

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.  Saute sliced peppers for 2-3 minutes.  Add ginger and saute another 2 minutes, stirring frequently.  Stir in tempeh.  Add soy sauce, and saute another 3 minutes, until tempeh begins to brown.  Add pineapple and cashews, saute for an additional minute.  Stir in sweet and sour sauce, cooking until heated throughly, about 1 minute.  Serve, topping with chopped cilantro, if desired.

February 17, 2011 at 8:00 am

Sounds like a quick and tasty meal!

Anthony
    February 17, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Oh… I love tempeh! In my country tempeh is black and salty. But seems your dish is sweet and sour and it attracts me actually. And I think the pineapple definitely adds a unique flavor to the dish.
    Just want to share with you a recipe I found to be super tasty and worth a try!
    Check it!

Angela (the diet book junkie)
    February 17, 2011 at 6:15 pm

stir fry is definitely a staple in our house. easy and inexpensive, my two favorite things. 🙂 i’ve never tried tempeh before though. is it more like tofu, or like veggie meat?

Grace Dickinson
      February 17, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Yes, stir frys rock! And I’d say neither. Tempeh definitely has a unique taste that’s hard to describe. It’s chewier than tofu, but not quite as chewy as seitan, or other faux meats.

Hannah (BitterSweet)
    February 18, 2011 at 11:31 am

I must admit, I’ve never tried incorporating pineapple in a savory dish, but I like the idea of using that for the “sweet” component of sweet and sour sauce. I think I have to try it now!

Heather
    February 18, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I have been craving a sweet and sour dish and am going to make one this weekend with Gardein Crispy Tenders. Cannot wait!