Vegan Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

Stuffed mushrooms are always a treat. The creamy filling that typically lies inside pairs perfectly with the chewy, dense texture of the mushrooms. I particularly enjoy portobellos, with their huge caps enabling a lot to be packed inside. Like in this recipe, containing portobellos jam-packed full of nutritious taste. Fiber-filled brown rice stands in as the base, infused with a vegan cream cheese-pesto duo of creaminess and flavor. I top the mushrooms with an oven roasted tomato topping to compliment the rich mushroom filling. I’m a garlic lover, so neither component of this dish is shy on the pungent, cholesterol-lowering ingredient. Yep, a whole head of garlic, plus some in the pesto. But no need to be be shy in diving in. Just make sure you share a few bites with those around you. Two garlic breathes cancel each other out, leaving you with satisfied taste-buds and a happy stomach.

Pesto Brown Rice Stuffed Portobellos with Roasted Tomatoes

(Serves 3)

-3 portobello mushrooms
-2 heaping cups cooked brown rice
-3 Tbsp. Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
-1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. Vegan Pesto (Omit sundried tomatoes)
-1 1/2 cup spinach, chopped
-Olive oil
-Garlic Roasted Tomatoes (See recipe below)

Preheat oven 350F. Scrap away scales from portobello caps. Brush outside of caps with olive oil.

Heat rice if not already warm. In a medium bowl, combine rice with pesto and cream cheese. Stir in spinach.

Divide rice mixture among the portobello mushrooms. Place on an aluminum-lined baking sheet, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender. Top with warm Garlic Roasted Tomatoes and a dash of hot sauce, if desired.

Garlic Roasted Tomatoes

-2 cups grape tomatoes
-1 head garlic (about 15 cloves), large cloves cut in half
-1 Tbsp. olive oil
-1/8 tsp. salt
-1/8 tsp. pepper

Preheat oven 350F. Bake 20-25 minutes, stirring halfway, until tomatoes are burst and garlic is fork tender. Serve atop stuffed mushrooms.

My Grandparent's Kitchen
    March 7, 2011 at 6:32 am

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. ~Henry David Thoreau

These look great! I am certainly not a veegan, but I can’t wait to try these.

Nicole, RD
    March 7, 2011 at 7:04 am

Wow, those look fantastic! The pesto…mmm! Portabellos are amazing, we need to eat more of them in this house 🙂

P.S. Thank you for the well wishes, Grace 🙂

Vegan Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms | CookingPlanet
    March 7, 2011 at 8:41 am

[…] Vegan Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms […]

Mushrooms Canada
    March 7, 2011 at 9:42 am

I love using garlic when I am cooking so I cant wait to try this recipe! It looks great 🙂
    -Michelle

March 7, 2011 at 9:58 am

Wow that looks great!!!!!!! yums

Anthony
    March 7, 2011 at 4:08 pm

WOW! Never though mushrooms can be cooked like that and can actually looked like that! The picture is so attractive!
    For more healthy and delicious recipes, you can check at:
    Hope you can find recipes that you like!

Angela (the diet book junkie)
    March 7, 2011 at 5:44 pm

i use garlic in practically everything. haven’t figured out how to roast it though, it always comes out over cooked or under. any tips on that?? 🙂

melindard
    March 8, 2011 at 1:26 pm

This sounds wonderful. I love all mushrooms, especially portobellos. They really give a lot to a meal.

March 8, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I love stuffed mushrooms. Yours look & sound fabulous!

Jenna@ Healthy. Happy. Well.
    March 9, 2011 at 5:14 am

oh my goodness! You have no idea how long I’ve been searching for the perfect stuffed portobello mushroom!!! I am so excited to try this out! I’ll let you know how it goes, it looks absolutely divine =)

theexperfectionist
    March 10, 2011 at 5:04 pm

OMG These look amazing. I’ve been wanting to make some porobellos of some sort. I will have to try these. Gorgeous picture too.

Robert
    May 10, 2011 at 11:07 pm

I just made this for some family and friends this evening – it was a huge hit! So delicious. Thanks for the recipe! 😀