Red Banana

As I longingly wait for summer and the plethora of juicy, tree-ripened fruit that comes with the sunny season, I’ve been staying buoyant by experimenting with the fruit that is available. Sure, strawberries and blueberries are available all year around, but are the winter one’s really worth the food miles they must travel? Sour and flavorless, I think not. However, blood oranges, mangoes, and a few other special fruity treats are definitely worthy of landing an occasional spot in my diet.

Lately I’ve been really digging red bananas.  The bananas’ shrimpy, red-headed cousin is actually super tasty and stands superior in nutrition.  Red bananas contain more vitamin C and beta-carotene than the traditional yellow fellows.

The typical red banana contains 15% of the recommended daily value (DV) of vitamin C, 20% DV of B6, and four grams of fiber.  Also, don’t think yellow bananas are the only muscle uncramping stars.  Red bananas contain a significant level of potassium (400mg) as well, providing the perfect portable snack for any type of athlete.

Red bananas taste like a fusion of sweet plantain mixed with yellow banana.  They are just as naturally sweet as a ripe yellow banana but are a tad denser and creamier in consistency.

If you haven’t had a red banana and feel like giving one a bite, look for ones that have a deep red, maroonish skin, erring on the side of purple.  This indicates that they are ripe and ready to eat.  If the skin is any lighter, leave them to ripen at room temperature, or stick them in a paper bag if you want to speed up the process.

Once ripe, simply peel away the red shell like you would with a typical yellow banana, and enjoy their sweet, yummy light pink insides.

While I don’t think I could ever get bored of yellow bananas, especially when peanut butter is in the picture, red bananas provide a nice change of pace, allowing my taste buds to relish in the different nuances in flavor and texture.  Have you ever had a red banana?  What do you think of them?  Any special red banana recipes?

Oh, and in case you missed it, there’s 4 days left to enter my nut butter giveaway!

March 9, 2011 at 7:40 am

woah, I’ve never even seen those! i definitely try and eat seasonally and think I need to start thinking more outside the box!

March 9, 2011 at 7:41 am

Why have I never tried a red banana?! I must! I know we sell them where I work. thanks for all of the great information, perhaps I’ll use them in a demo soon 🙂

March 9, 2011 at 4:56 pm

How cool! I’ll have to admit that I didn’t even know there were red bananas… Now I’ll have to look for some!

Angela (the diet book junkie)
    March 9, 2011 at 7:53 pm

i’ve never heard of red bananas before, how is that possible??? where are they from, do you know? for some reason i feel like i’ll have a hard time finding them in Oz…. :p

melindard
    March 10, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I do not think we have these available here. Good thing we have local pineapple which is amazing…although not a banana. We get these little ones called apple bananas. Not sure what they are called in US.

veganvagabond
    April 27, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I just lost my red banana virginity – and it was not a pleasant experience. We surmised that the chalky dry taste and texture came from eating it while unripe, but it sat in our fruit bowl for over a week and seemed to have the dark-red skin. I love my plantains and read this even has a slight raspberry flavor making me want to try again so are there any other signs of ripeness you can suggest for red banana round two?

FoodFitnessFreshair
      April 27, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Hm, I definitely think you got that taste because it wasn’t ripe. Usually they’re super sweet and creamy. My best advice is if you’re able to peel it open without too much trouble or need to excessively tug the top, then it’s probably ripe.

veganvagabond
        April 28, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Thanks for the information, I’ll give it another go and post how it turns out.

Holly O'Donoghue