Multigrain “Scones”

Obvious just by looking at the picture above, this recipe did not exactly produce the traditional scone to which I’m accustomed. Obtained from Dr. Weil and Rosie Daley’s The Healthy Kitchen cookbook, I knew just by glancing at the ingredients list that this recipe wouldn’t necessarily yield “scones” like it purported. But the healthy ingredients were what hooked me into throwing them all together regardless, and the results actually weren’t too bad. In fact, they were rather quite delicious, which is why I’ve decided to post the recipe, even if its name is a little misleading.

Besides, names are just labels attached to items far more meaningful than their titles. So let’s throw this one out and give it a new one. I’d probably re-label these as multigrain cookies, housing a crispy golden outside with a fluffy, cake-like inside. What makes them so special is the delicate crunch they contain, given from the millet—A grain special in itself, full of fiber and trace minerals. The cookies also have both hints of lemon and sugar, without being overbearingly sweet.

Soymilk, oats, chia, bran…these multigrain cookies make for a great breakfast or snack. Next time I think I’d try swapping out the white flour with whole wheat flour for an even extra boost of fiber. The texture didn’t resemble a scone anyways, so I’d like to see what whole wheat flour would do. Try adding some nuts in as well if you desire an even extra element of crunch.

Slightly modified version of Rosie’s Multigrain Scones

-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
-1/2 cup soy milk

Lemon Topping

-3 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
-1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar

Preheat oven 375F.

Whisk egg, sugar, and oil together in a bowl. Mix the lemon zest and all of the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and stir with wooden spoon until throughly combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the egg, sugar and oil and mix to create a thick dough. Add the milk and mix well.

Lightly grease a baking sheet. Scoop tablespoons of the dough and drop them into mounds on the baking sheet, dividing the batter to make 10 scones. Leave 2 inches of space in between each mound. Bake for 15-20 minutes, just until crust is barely golden brown and dough is dry. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.

With a fork, mix the Lemon Topping ingredients until sugar is dissolved. Drizzle 1 tablespoon over each scone.

March 13, 2011 at 6:21 am

oh these are so healthy! they look great!

March 13, 2011 at 6:41 am

I just talked to a group of ladies yesterday who did not understand that multigrain didn’t necessarily mean healthy. This recipe, however, proves otherwise! Oat bran, oats, millet….all GREAT grains! Thanks for the recipe, sounds delicious, and just what I need with this cup of coffee 🙂

eva626
    March 13, 2011 at 6:59 am

great picture!!!!

Heather
    March 13, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I absolutely love scones – thank you for posting this recipe.

If I omitted the chia seeds, do you think I would need to replace them with something else?

I’m allergic!

Grace Dickinson
      March 13, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Consider using poppy seeds instead. How’d you discover that allergy?

veggiegrettie
    March 14, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I love how many grains you were able to incorporate into these scones.

March 14, 2011 at 6:03 pm

“In fact, they were rather quite delicious, which is why I’ve decided to post the recipe, even if its name is a little misleading. Besides, names are just labels attached to items far more meaningful than their titles.”

So true! I think sometimes we come to expect a specific dish because of its name, and we don’t give a different variation a chance… Glad you liked the “scones!” They sound wonderful, and they are going on my “list!”

Can You Stay for Dinner
    March 14, 2011 at 11:28 pm

These look absolutely delicious! I love the healthy spin you put on scones!

Hannah (BitterSweet)
    March 16, 2011 at 10:38 am

Sounds wonderful, like a hearty little breakfast cake. I can imagine these smeared with a generous dollop of jam, with a tall cup of coffee… The perfect brunch or snack!