Artichoke And White Bean Dip

Stew is to winter and fall as dip is to spring and summer. Portable and non-temperature sensitive, dips are perfect for so many summery, sunny outdoor occasions. I love nothing more than relaxing on a cushy blanket unfolded onto a shady patch of grass, a tall glass of iced mint tea and a hummus-laced pita by my side. Or maybe I stretch myself out on an Adirondack chair, basking in the sun* on my open deck, with a side of refreshing carrots and creamy dip to cool off my taste buds. (*Soaking up my daily dose of vitamin D, obviously.)

I always enjoy whipping up a good dip, as they nearly always elicit great taste, and lend themselves perfectly to potlucks, picnics or picnic table parties. Whether served aside a platter of veggies, pita, and/or crackers, or smeared on a sandwich and stored away in your backpack, dips (vegan in particular) are born to head outside on bright, warm days for your outdoor eating pleasures. Maybe it’s just because I’m addicted to hanging outdoors, but to me, nothing beats dining outside.

Plus, dips give me just one more excuse to use my food processor. Which I obviously love. Throw everything into its body, give it a whirl, and voila. Who doesn’t love easy recipes like that?

The following dip calls on white beans and artichokes for its bulk, and Old Bay for its commanding seasoning. It yields a flavor different from nearly any other dip I’ve ever tasted, which is refreshing in itself. While the recipe doesn’t utilize fresh artichokes, it still celebrates the flavors of spring. Serve with crackers, veggies, or as Horizon’s suggest, on a vegan BLT.

The following recipe is an adapted version from Horizons: New Vegan Cuisine

Artichoke And White Bean Dip

-1-12 oz. jar unmarinated artichokes, drained
-1-15 oz. can cannelini beans
-1/2 cup onion, chopped
-1 tsp. garlic, crushed
-1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
-1/4 cup vegan mayo
-1 tsp. black pepper
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
-2 tsp. Dijon mustard

Blend all ingredients in a food processor, leaving as coarse or as creamy as desired. Garnish with parsley or cilantro, if desired.

Nicole, RD
    April 11, 2011 at 5:46 am

I love all your dip recipes lately…this looks so good!

marla
    April 11, 2011 at 8:18 am

Grace, I love the sound of this dip! Sounds like we are both having the same cravings today 🙂

April 11, 2011 at 1:22 pm

This looks great. Do you think it’d be okay without the onions and garlic?

Grace
      April 11, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Possibly…although, I think the garlic does add a bit of distinguishing flavor to the dip. Let me know how it turns out if you try it with the exclusion of those ingredients!

theexperfectionist
    April 11, 2011 at 7:32 pm

This is a fabulous idea. Sounds and looks great.

Dip primaveral de alcachofas y judías: la sangre altera (sólo si ponemos tabasco) - Recetín
    April 12, 2011 at 3:06 am

[…] Imagen y adaptación: foodfitnessfreshair […]

Courtney
    April 25, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I just made this and it is AWESOME. Mine didn’t come out quite as red as the picture, but it sure does taste great :]

Recipe Ideas — i'm (not) superhuman
    May 2, 2011 at 6:06 am

[…] Artichoke and white bean dip from Food, Fitness, FreshAir […]

Roasted Asparagus Feta Wrap « Food-Fitness-FreshAir
    June 2, 2011 at 6:43 am

[…] run out of sandwich ideas I can make to quickly pack for my lunch.  I do a lot of hummus and bean dips, obvious from my numerous bean puree-related posts.  But sometimes a girl can only eat so much […]

Asia Mangone
    February 19, 2013 at 10:52 am

Artichoke is just about the most ancient green vegetables harvested for medical related variables. Throughout time it has been used as treatments for quite a few illnesses for example blood disorders, joint pain, kidney troubles, snakebites in addition to edema. During the olden days of Rome and Greek, the globe artichoke was used as an aphrodisiac regarding sexual well-being and consequently, occasionally set aside just for men to eat. During these times it was in addition thought to be a helpful benefit to the digestive system and it was only for the privileged elite.’

Please do browse our new online site
    <,http://www.healthmedicinelab.com/chest-pain-left-side/