Vegan Sweet Potato and Sausage Hash with Kale

I love the combination of kale and sweet potatoes, as well as kale and sausage, so I figured why not fuse them all together. Sweet potatoes lend a sugary, soft element to chewy greens, while sausage adds a savory meatiness that I absolutely love. The trio also creates a megastar, nutrient-rich powerhouse. Kale and sweet potatoes, two celebrity vitamin-winning veggies, rock the dish with tons of antioxidants and disease-warding nutrients, while the meat-free sausage adds a boost of muscle building protein.

The following recipe yields a great brunch, lunch, or dinner option that can be served as a main course or side dish. Feel free to try also use it as a healthy, energizing filling for a wrap.

Vegan Sweet Potato and Sausage Hash with Kale

(Makes 3 large servings, or 6 side servings)

-2 Tbsp. olive oil
-1 small onion, diced
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-1 bunch kale, wash, stems removed, roughly chopped
-1 medium sweet potato, diced into small cubes
-1 1/2 large vegan Italian-style sausage links (or 4 small links), sliced into thin rounds
-1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
-1/2 cup vegetable broth
-1/2 tsp. red chili pepper flakes, optional
-2 tsp. soy sauce
-Salt and pepper, to taste

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add onions, and saute 3 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and garlic, and saute 6 minutes, until sweet potatoes are nearly tender, stirring frequently. Make a well in the pan, and add sausage. Cook 1-2 minutes until edges of sausage begin to brown. Add greens, and saute for one minute. Generously season with pinch of salt and pepper. Stir in vegetable broth and tomatoes. Cook until kale is tender, about 6-8 minutes. Sprinkle with chili pepper flakes, if using, and soy sauce. Remove from heat, and serve.

*Easiest to use a nonstick skillet, as the sweet potatoes have a tendency to stick to the pan.